shape
carat
color
clarity

To Halo or not to Halo? OMC 1 ct stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 4:04:49 PM
Author: familystone
Mrs Salvo,

Thank you again for your informative post you have truly been a wonderful help in the whole process of finding me a perfect setting. It definately appears that the single cuts are preferable in the pave mele, I was just wondering opinoins on the halo stones. Again I will most likely differ to Leon when there is a doubt just trying to poll others opinoins.

You are so welcome
1.gif
. Honestly, you are doing such a great job in finding the perfect setting for your gal and having a Leon is really special as most of us around here know. You are going to knock your girfriends socks off. Most jewelers use full cut melee as far as I know. It is still very beautiful and probably the average person wouldn''t be able to tell the difference anyway. Your ring is being made by the master so you don''t have to worry too much
2.gif

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Well I just got back from Leon Mege''s studio and put a deposit down on the ring.

I decided to go with halo ring set with single cut mele stones in a three side pave'' ring shank. He was amazing to work with and we spent over an hour going over all the options that we could do with the ring and he was suggestive but defantely left all the final decisions to me. I would recomend him to anyone and this is without even seeing my final setting. He brought out many rings in varrying degrees of completion (they all were amazing) to explain all the options available to me.

The only thing I am somewhat undicided on was that I told him not to millgrain the edges but, I am wondering if millgraining would add a nice final touch or make the ring look to busy. Leon said the millgrain would fit a more dated pice but ultimately it is just a matter of taste and it is whatever I prefer. I am now thinking maybee I should have told him to go ahead with it. I can prob tell him to switch it if I tell him in the next few days.

SO. . . . Seriously the last question would you millgrain or not?

Thanks All,

Dave

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 3:18:21 PM
Author: familystone

SO. . . . Seriously the last question would you millgrain or not?

Maybe not... I am sure the ring will be perfectly finished - no need for millgrain to hide imperfect edges of anything.
10.gif

I wonder where would millgrain go? If the shank is paved on all sides only the edges towards the finger are free, and those would not show at all.

Just an idea. I believe that for most parts millgrain can be applied after all else is said and done, so you could get to see the ring finished but without pave and decide then. Whether this is feasible or recommendable, you should ask the maker of the ring.

roxy7

Shiny_Rock
I went with milgrain on mine. If you look at the links of the other PSr's Leons that I posted earlier, I believe that they all have milgrain on the edges. To me, it fit the look of the ring and added to the romanticism to it. I think it is a very small detail, but I appreciate it because it just adds to the overall intricacy and deailted look of the ring. If you want to go more simplistic, I would avoid it.

But mostly, I just wanted to leave it up to Leon, and he recommended it.
He is truly great, isn't he?

ETA: You can really see the milgrain on some of the shots of Boom's ring -- https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-photos-of-my-ring.41930/.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pics of Boomer''s Ring it is equisite. I definately would have told him to go with the milgrain if Leon said he thought it would look better but he made the comparison of it being like choosing blue or white paint it is whatever my preference was. Unfortunately I really don''t know what my preference is, I like the sleek modern lines but if it doesn''t fit the style of the ring I would be upset. Anyways thanks again for your help. ( Yes leon is amazing, and I actually brought him pics of booomers and alicats rings for starting points of where to go with my ring.) I am going to have a thin airline though and a small gallery as well as atempting to make the halo a cushion shaped as my OMC could be looked at as either cushion or slightly off-round. I left it up to leon to do what he feels looks best.

_Dave

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any pictures of a halo setting without millgrain?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one! Now the halo on this is proportionally a little thick, but I think it is stunning. I am also planning to go sans milgrain, but I really like to mix more modern stlyes with antique and vintage styles.

wfcustomcushionhalo2.jpeg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
here''s another one, from Singlestone

3.10_IVS2.jpeg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I can't quite tell, but I don't think this one has milgrain. Regardless, it is gorgeous!
30.gif

ETA: This is more "Leon Mege" style, so probably the best comparison, except that it is yellow gold

color halo.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Familystone. I think the ring will be gorgeous with or without the millgrain. My halo (although a pear center) has no millgrain. Again, just a personal preference. It would have looked great with it too, but I just personally preferred the smooth lines/edges.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks All keep the examples coming, and is it true that you could add the millgrain after the fact if my hopeful fiance saw the ring and prefered it with it?

roxy7

Shiny_Rock
Familystone, if you don''t mind me asking, how much more was it for you to get the single-cut melee? I was wondering because it might not be too late for me to change my ring
25.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Guess what after a very, very long journey, I saw my finished ring today. It is a plat cushion fishtale halo with no rhodium and no milgrain....yet. I wanted milgrain and because I was so involved in the process that I wanted to live with the ring for a few weeks before making my final decision. i didn''t want the ring to look too antique. I will post more pictures in another post, I don''t want to hijack this one. You can add the milgrain later, but you can''t take it off if you don''t like it. I am debating what part of the ring to milgrain.

mamchris-nomilgrain1.JPG

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Roxy, It really wasn''t that much more in the grand scheme of things for the single cut mele. I think it was 1,000 as opposed to 800 per ct, so depending on how much mele the ring has it doesn''t ending up being that much more, however leon said it could cuase some timing problems becuase it isn''t that common and sometimes it is hard to find in specific sizes. So, if your ring has a lot of pave in varrying sizes it could delay the ring if he can''t find the right stones. Hope this helps.

-Dave

familystone

Shiny_Rock
mamchris

Your ring looks amazing, who designed it?

Also thanks for letting me know that you can definately add the millgrain on after, that might be the best way to go. I could propose with no milgrain and let her make the call afterwords. But, I wonder if she would actually go through with it even if she wanted too?

Please post more pics of your ring too!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2006 10:06:42 PM
Author: mamchris
I will post more pictures in another post, I don''t want to hijack this one.

ok miss mamchris...where is this other thread..we must see more pictures of that beauty
2.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliment. Now that it is finally done, I can give the details, Roman Jewelers in Flemington NJ, I have some threads showing the wax, and then then casting, but I haven''t posted any more shots yet. Allison was a delight to work with, she was sooooooo understanding. She bent over backwards to get it right. It took a little long, but in the end it was the details that I asked for. She has now said that if I want anything changed, just bring it in and they will do whatever I want ie:rhodium or millgraining. Leon was originally my first choice, and I am not too far from him about 2 hours, but I knew I am a bit of a control freak, and I love to design so that is why I stayed closer to home.

mamchris2.JPG

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
I'm 25 next month and I would not like a halo, it's just a bit too over-the-top for me. But I prefer more modern things so wouldn't go for an older-style ring. Good luck!

EDIT - only just saw the second page! Sorry, ignore me, I'm sure she will love it!

roxy7

Shiny_Rock
Thx, familystone, i think that she will love it. Did Leon show you any examples of single cut vs. not single cut melee? Do you think there are any pictures showing the difference here?

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Roxy,

I am sure leon could show you some examples If you asked him, I know I saw some single cut meele in some estate pieces but I don''t have any links for em sorry.

If anybody has any single cut pave pieces please post em for roxy

_Dave

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
With an OMC and single cuts - I'd add millgrain edges.
(hehehe - I'ma little biased my Leon M has a millgrained edge.)
One note about his milgraining, it's very subtle, small, and clean/precise - not immediately obvious - like no other milgraining I've ever seen.
From what you're describing it sounds like millgraining would be a nice touch.

Scintillating...

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Scintillating,

Did you have your ring done by Leon Mege; and if so can you post some close up pics of the millgraining or a link to a post with shots of your ring. Thanks Again -Dave

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s the thread to scintillating''s Leon ring..

here''s a pretty good shot of her milgrain..

Scint-A-Flsh-Sm-web.jpg

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Scintillating,

I love your ring and If I decided to go non-halo I definately would have used your ring as inspiration. (thanks again Mrssalvo for posting it) Anyways, your right as it looks like the millgraining is delicate. I really do like it but I am wondering if I should leave it up to the future bride to be.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Well just an update:

I decided to go for the millgraining and I was able to successfully measure my girlfriends finger while she was asleep to get the right size (6 1/8)(I also had her mothers old wedding band she sometimes wears on her right hand ring finger)

so. . . it looks like the ring is good to go!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, the ole "measure ring size while she''s sleeping" trick. She must sleep like a log! I know I''d wake up as soon as I felt anything slip onto my ring figer!! (but I''m a shameless diamond whore so that explains that!)

Good luck! It''ll be gorgeous with the milgrain....perfect for an OMC!

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Haha, well she is definately a sound sleeper I cut an extreemly thin piece of paper so you could barely feel it and she didn''t wake up. ( or at least I think she didn''t!!!)

-Dave

angelainjapan

Rough_Rock
Hi Dave,

I''m 27 and love, love, love the look of a halo!
30.gif
I couldn''t be happier with my 1.27 F VVS2 Cushion with micropave setting from Harry Winston. It has an antique and dainty look on my finger, if I do say so myself.
31.gif
If your girlfriend is anything like me, she''ll love the Leon Mege that you''re working on. I wish you the best!

Here''s some pics of my ring.
36.gif
You can see more here.

118631027_9c1858febb.jpg

118630739_ba657c0259.jpg

119067509_7b42317734.jpg

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Angel,

Thanks for the reassurence. Your ring is gorgeous and I love the pic around the crystal swan.

-Dave

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Hey Roxy,

Do you have an ETA on the arrival of your ring, and did you decide to go with the single cuts in the melee?

Hope all is well,

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results