shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s Mark-up?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pilotspub

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know what the mark-up is for a Tiffany RB engagement ring? I would love to have the tiffany name on her finger, but how much more am I paying for that??? thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the fourth quarter and full year 2002, gross margins (gross profit as a percentage of net sales) were 59.7% and 59.3%, compared with 60.9% and 58.7% in the prior year.

That means that if they sell $10,000 of product their cost of purchasing the goods is about $4,000.
They have costs of doing business of about $5,000 for every 10k and so the share holders earn about $1,000 for every 10k you spend.

this information is all available on the Tiffany website
1.gif

http://www.shareholder.com/tiffany/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=102625

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/5/2004 2:25:26 AM pilotspub wrote:

I would love to have the tiffany name on her finger, but how much more am I paying for that??? thanks----------------

How much engraving one "T" two "f"s, a "n", a "y" and an "i", on either skin or metal costs thiese days?
eek.gif

Please forgive the acid... but I just could not help it, even if my diamonds-by-the-yard would strangle me for this! So many people want the stuff pictured on the great blue adds, that an entire industry is thriving on engraving that name on ANYTHING ! - aside great diamonds
sad.gif

gunsuka

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yep, quite disgusting! You walk into the shop to purchase a ring, and what you are actually buying is the store, employees, insurance & marketing. The actual item you walk out with is worth less than the non-tangibles.

I much prefer to spend my money with the low overhead Internet sources (for most all goods) than pay the premium for real world!

Robert Gunther

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
>They have costs of doing business of about $5,000 for every 10k<

You aren't actually paying that much for the ring, but you do get to pay for all of the expensive ads the ring shows up in, as well as the swanky address and the commissions, the really nice curtains you wish you could afford, etc.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
SO many threads on this, but again my $.02...

After looking for a PERFECTLY cut stone, in the colorless range (D,E,F) we figured since we couldn't find it in all the store in the NYC DIamond DIstrict (known to be the biggest), we went to Tiffany's finally to see some real stones. My BF said, hey, I'll pay that price for an EXCELLENT stone...Ok.

Tiffany's had only G and H stones. No colorless. Their 1.5 Lucida in H was $22K. We priced that stone in a radiant cut (comperable generic stone) at less than $10K. Not right. Tiffany's didn't even have anything to fit our standards, and THEY are who set the benchmark?

Nope, they just post up the ads touting that they do. And people pay for that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results