shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Metro Vs Channel Set Help!!

georgyyy

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this site - though I will confess to stalking and you all have such beautiful taste so I'm sure you'll be able to help me!! :D

My boyfriend is buying me a Tiffany band for my 1/4 century birthday (though I am chipping in part of the cost because, let's face it, Tiffany is NOT cheap!!) and I am currently tossing up between the Tiffany Metro: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP01931&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+2-p+9-c+287466-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

And the platinum channel set: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP01827&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+2-p+11-c+287466-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k

I can't decide which one I like more!! I will be wearing it on its own as it's my first ring (so far ;-) hehe) and I'm just not sure if I want the thicker channel set, or the more delicate metro ring....

Any comments??? I have 2 days to decide!!

vanilla87

Shiny_Rock
I personally LOVE the metro :) Have you tried both rings on in person?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I love my Metro. As the Metro is a thinner band it gives me greater flexability to stack other bands with it on my short fingers, or just wear it alone.

georgyyy

Rough_Rock
Yes, I tried both on - I have very little fingers (I'm a 4.5), but I wanted both!! Haha :)

I originally wanted the aquamarine Metro, but after trying on the diamond one it just sparkles SO much more so I was seduced by that. Then I was torn because I the channel set was thicker (though, not as original as the metro I don't think.)

Argh, such a hard decision!!! But you both say the Metro, so maybe you have just made the decision for me!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Why not aim to get both eventually, birthday, Valentines, special anniversary etc.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
It is all definitely personal preference but my vote is for the metro, thinner and more dainty, which both fits my personal tastes. They are both very nice.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Do you know what the carat weight is on the Metro? I see it says .17 for the channel. I know it probably depends on ring size, but have you checked it out? That may persuade me one way or another.

I agree with Diva_Rose. Tiffanys is so expensive, but if that is what you have got your heart set on- then go for it! But I would take a look around just in case you change your mind/heart. :) You may or may not once you see that you can get more for your budget or get something very similar for a lot less than your budget.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I love my Tiffany Metro - it is perfection and super bling-y. It depends how much metal you want showing, for me I wanted a minimum of metal. I also agree it looks best in diamonds.

ked123

Rough_Rock
I was looking for a band to wear with my solitaire and was debating the exact same 2 rings back during the holidays.

I really like the look of the metro. However, it is set in white gold while the channel set band is set in platinum. My SA was highly discouraging me from getting the metro (in fact, it wasn't displayed with all of the other wedding bands, she had to pull it out of a drawer).

Since all of my other jewelry is platinum, I didn't want to have to worry about rhodium plating (as time goes on) for this one piece.

The diamonds on the 0.17 channel set band are really tiny- have you seen this in person? I was going for that look (my wedding band was a 0.9 carat shared prong band which I thought overshadowed my solitaire so was looking to replace this). They do have channel sets in all sizes, but the prices go up accordingly.

I also note that Tiffany's price for the 0.17 carat channel set band went up since last month. I just checked my appraisal and we paid $1825 for it. Interesting.

Good luck with your choice- both are very pretty!

georgyyy

Rough_Rock
Diva_Rose, thank you for your suggestions - those rings are just as pretty! We are from OS and happen to be in the States for a holiday and Tiffanys is just SO much cheaper here then back home (especially with the dollar being 1 for 1) so that's why I was tempted into a Tiffany ring. It's a good thought though, so will have to see if they ship to Australia and if they stock the rings in 4.5 (doesn't look like Leon does.)

Ked123, I liked the channel set metro but the smallest they had was the 5.5 :(
And the price quote I got for the channel set diamond was $1895 - I don't know why the website has it as more...?
I did see that one in person - I tried them both on and it is very thin too which is why I was torn!
I didn't really think about the whole platinum vs. white gold thing. You probably have a good point about that!! Thanks for your help - have another day to decide before heading back to the shop :D

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
ked123|1295977203|2832687 said:
You could also consider the Tiffany metro ring which is channel set. It is 0.22 tcw and set in white gold, for $1,200.

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP03610&mcat=148204&cid=287462&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287462-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

It looks better in person than on the website.
i love this. IME channel-set stones are harder to keep clean and can end up not having the same "sparkle power" but this looks like a compromise btw both!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
georgyyy|1295979638|2832720 said:
Diva_Rose, thank you for your suggestions - those rings are just as pretty! We are from OS and happen to be in the States for a holiday and Tiffanys is just SO much cheaper here then back home (especially with the dollar being 1 for 1) so that's why I was tempted into a Tiffany ring. It's a good thought though, so will have to see if they ship to Australia and if they stock the rings in 4.5 (doesn't look like Leon does.)

Ked123, I liked the channel set metro but the smallest they had was the 5.5 :(
And the price quote I got for the channel set diamond was $1895 - I don't know why the website has it as more...?
I did see that one in person - I tried them both on and it is very thin too which is why I was torn!
I didn't really think about the whole platinum vs. white gold thing. You probably have a good point about that!! Thanks for your help - have another day to decide before heading back to the shop :D

You are welcome! :) I'm from Australia!
I totally understand your pain! Tiffany (basically everything else here really) is inflated so much it's just crazy!

I'm not sure about Leon but I'm pretty sure Brain Gavin does.
You can email them and ask for a different size.

I think if you are going to spend more close to 2k - you might as well get the bigger diamonds and better quality.
At one stage I wanted a Tiffany metro also untill I came here. Now I want the 3/4 eternity U prong, pair of diamond earrings and some coloured gems. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results