shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany launches same-sex engagement campaign

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow the money ... Gay couples, usually childless, often have high disposable incomes.

Tiffany will make zillions but lose 3 or 4 sales in the Bible Belt.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1421022230|3815043 said:
Follow the money ... Gay couples, usually childless, often have high disposable incomes.

Tiffany will make zillions but lose 3 or 4 sales in the Bible Belt.

There really aren't that many Tiffany stores in the bible belt to start with. http://www.tiffany.com/locations/CountryStoreLocationList.aspx?country=United%20States&source=StoresLanding

And even those IN the more conservative states are in blue cities. Georgia for example is a red state, but Atlanta is Blue.

So it makes perfect sense, I agree.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1421023862|3815048 said:
There really aren't that many Tiffany stores in the bible belt to start with. http://www.tiffany.com/locations/CountryStoreLocationList.aspx?country=United%20States&source=StoresLanding

And even those IN the more conservative states are in blue cities. Georgia for example is a red state, but Atlanta is Blue.

I like the unintentional(?) reference to and symmetry of this playing well in the blue states... considering it is Tiffany & Co. - ha.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1421024049|3815050 said:
Gypsy|1421023862|3815048 said:

I like the unintentional(?) reference to and symmetry of this playing well in the blue states... considering it is Tiffany & Co. - ha.

Completely unintentional. I'm barely coherent today. Flu is kicking my tail. :(sad

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow the money. Isaac Mizrahi wears a huge diamond on this left hand ring finger.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's awesome! I can't wait for their relationships to be recognized federally. At least now, they're getting national recognition with a jewelry campaign! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smart move on multiple levels; Expanding their target market, updating their image for a new generation, improving their relevancy to a much more progressive society than they one they launched into.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is totally a market niche for this, but same sex couples have been kind of on their own how to interpret tradition. While there is a tradition that each person gets bands for commitment (the couple I'm thinking were a female couple who each got complementary bands, no diamonds), how will they interpret engagement rings?

So it will be interesting which way they will go. Debeers really highlighted the diamond engagement ring and also the 2 months salary "rule". Really for the highest profit I wonder if they will advertise each each person get a diamond engagement ring?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
part gypsy|1421091471|3815359 said:
There is totally a market niche for this, but same sex couples have been kind of on their own how to interpret tradition. While there is a tradition that each person gets bands for commitment (the couple I'm thinking were a female couple who each got complementary bands, no diamonds), how will they interpret engagement rings?

So it will be interesting which way they will go. Debeers really highlighted the diamond engagement ring and also the 2 months salary "rule". Really for the highest profit I wonder if they will advertise each each person get a diamond engagement ring?
I would certainly hope the marketing folks at Tiffany would be encouraging both partners to have a diamond.
This old tradition about only one party getting a diamond is archaic and fundamentally unfair. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1421091732|3815361 said:

I would certainly hope the marketing folks at Tiffany would be encouraging both partners to have a diamond.
This old tradition about only one party getting a diamond is archaic and fundamentally unfair. :wink2:

I agree, and am all for equality and fairness ...

But while men and women should be equal in every way their bodies are not the same and this carries social implications.

Wasn't there something about the diamond being given to the women as some kind of financial security if the marriage goes south since in the old days when a woman who was not a virgin was less valuable on the marriage market?

I'm not saying that was right.
I'm just saying there was some 'deal/bargain reason' for the man giving a diamond to a woman.
Oddly, with that dowry thing the money is flowing in the opposite direction.
All that stuff seems so weird to me.

All the gender-dependent stuff flies out the window for same-sex couples.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1421095170|3815378 said:

I agree, and am all for equality and fairness ...

But while men and women should be equal in every way their bodies are not the same and this carries social implications.

Wasn't there something about the diamond being given to the women as some kind of financial security if the marriage goes south since in the old days when a woman who was not a virgin was less valuable on the marriage market?

I'm not saying that was right.
I'm just saying there was some 'deal/bargain reason' for the man giving a diamond to a woman.
Oddly, with that dowry thing the money is flowing in the opposite direction.
All that stuff seems so weird to me.

All the gender-dependent stuff flies out the window for same-sex couples.

Yes I have heard this, that giving a ring (expensive) was a way to insure if the bride to be was "spoiled" (lost virginity) before marriage and the marriage didn't take place, that there was some financial recompense. Also as a signifier that the husband could "provide" for the wife. However cultural norms have changed so much over time, (no stigma of non-virginity, access to birth control, women being financial equal partners) there really isn't a "reason" for men to propose and women not, or a women to get a diamond ring and a men not, but it is still there. It seems there was a new "tradition" (that may be part advertising-based) of a man getting an engagement gift as well, but more like a watch (or in ladies in waiting, a big screen tv was mentioned). So it's kind of wide open.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I think this is a very valid point. We certainly need to encourage everyone in a committed relationship to BOTH have diamonds to tell the world about the love they share. Perhaps even two diamonds each :whistle:

Perhaps we have finally found a topic on which every trade-member on the forum can agree!

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond_Hawk said:

I think this is a very valid point. We certainly need to encourage everyone in a committed relationship to BOTH have diamonds to tell the world about the love they share. Perhaps even two diamonds each :whistle:

Perhaps we have finally found a topic on which every trade-member on the forum can agree!

Truer words on PS have never been spoken. :clap:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great ad! Just out of curiosity, does a guy really care about them little blue box? I mean literally the box. It seems kind of feminine. Will they have a different box for men?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1421343385|3816872 said:
Great ad! Just out of curiosity, does a guy really care about them little blue box? I mean literally the box. It seems kind of feminine. Will they have a different box for men?

Yes.
Tiffany's man-box will be pink.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I doubt a lot of people, men or women, care about the actual box, but just like other brands, Rolex for example, Tiffany is probably hoping their brand carries weight and prestige with the market they are aiming for. They don't use a different box for men's wedding rings at the moment so why should they for gay men? Besides, it's quite a cute little box, perfect for both engagement rings, wedding rings, or whatever token of love the couple is giving or exchanging.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1421353197|3816973 said:

I doubt a lot of people, men or women, care about the actual box, but just like other brands, Rolex for example, Tiffany is probably hoping their brand carries weight and prestige with the market they are aiming for. They don't use a different box for men's wedding rings at the moment so why should they for gay men? Besides, it's quite a cute little box, perfect for both engagement rings, wedding rings, or whatever token of love the couple is giving or exchanging.

+1. Besides, the velvet ring box/holder/bed is black. I would think color is a non issue.

cheers--Sharon

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Go Tiffany!
Agree with the pp that it would be good to see more ethnic diversity in high end jewellery advertising though.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Zizzy|1421362516|3817075 said:
Go Tiffany!
Agree with the pp that it would be good to see more ethnic diversity in high end jewellery advertising though.
You would think they would - especially in light of this new campaign which shows they recognize shifts in society. Not to mention that its such a global brand. You would at least expect to see some "ambiguously ethnic" models in their ads :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results