shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ebay diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Still looking for a diamond and I think I want to go with a fairly square radiant.

I want the diamond to face up as close to 7x7mm as possible.

I have called a few ps vendors on SI2 diamonds they have for sale and I keep getting the same response: "it is pretty tough to have an eye clean SI2 with such a large diamond".

This one has been on ebay for awhile, I asked the seller if indeed it was eye clean as stated in the auciton and they assured me it was:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EGL-CERTIFIED-D-SI2-1-51CT-RADIANT-CUT-DIAMOND-RING_W0QQitemZ5049298426QQcategoryZ67726QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a fantastic deal if in fact it is a eye clean stone (A D color vs2 with a like spread is about 10,000) but I am hesitant because this is an EGL graded SI2 stone, I am afraid it might actually be even worse if graded by GIA. This diamond is also listed loose so it can't be a prong hiding the inclusion or anything like that.

If 110% eye clean is a must for the diamond would you risk even messing with this diamond?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2005 1:53:17 PM
Author:Grinder9009
If 110% eye clean is a must for the diamond would you risk even messing with this diamond?
NO.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" is what I think.

An EGL SI2 is probably a GIA I1. I see that they have covered up the bit of the grading report that describes the nature of the inclusions, so I wonder what that big red blob is on the pavilion?

The stone is shallowish with a huge, huge table. It doesn''t qualify as a fine cut, so it probably won''t sparkle as much as you''d like.

But if size is your main priority and you don''t mind a poor clarity and cut, then it''s a good price. The vendor does have 100% feedback.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You posted the wrong auction as this same seller is listing the stone twice, both mounted and loose.
2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/EGL-CERTIFIED-D-SI2-1-51CT-RADIANT-CUT-LOOSE-DIAMOND_W0QQitemZ5046901322QQcategoryZ110732QQcmdZViewItem

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
There are plenty of eye clean SI2 larger stones.
This particular diamond looks pretty badly cut- the low depth and large table explain the dull look the dimaond has in photographs- I would make cut an important parameter- which would eliminate this diamond

Grinder, I agree with Belle.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2005 2:05:18 PM
Author: cinnabar
. The vendor does have 100% feedback.
He does have 100% feedback, but received a negative within the last month. Unhappy customer said that stone appraised three grades lower. Seller gave refund.

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies!

the 100% feedback with only a few mutually removed is what struck me.

I can''t believe they would advertise it as eye clean if it wasn''t but I still think I am gonna pass.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grinder,
You should contact David from DBL, he knows radiants extremely well. If it were me I would stay away from ebay, but that''s just me. Good luck!!!

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
It all depends on how they are defining eye-clean. It could be "I showed it to a man with a white stick and he said it was pretty nice". Held at a distance of three or four feet, it is almost certainly eye-clean. Great for a gibbon.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2005 2:14:47 PM
Author: cinnabar
It all depends on how they are defining eye-clean. It could be ''I showed it to a man with a white stick and he said it was pretty nice''. Held at a distance of three or four feet, it is almost certainly eye-clean. Great for a gibbon.
lol..

good decision grinder. it''s just not worth the risk.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 1:53:17 PM
Author:Grinder9009

'it is pretty tough to have an eye clean SI2 with such a large diamond'.

... or maybe not, but higher clarity grades will cost you more... or perhaps there wasn't any in stock... or these guys are very, very taugh on their 'eye clean' qualification etc.

This one has been on ebay for awhile, I asked the seller if indeed it was eye clean as stated in the auciton and they assured me it was:

Could they possibly say it wasn't as advertised?

... I am hesitant because this is an EGL graded SI2 stone, I am afraid it might actually be even worse if graded by GIA.

That the grades may not tally with GIA I would agree. It may be fair to compare prices with GIA graded one grade down. This being 'D' and my feeing pessimistic... any GIA grades D-F, SI1-2 would make an acceptable alternative to this, for me. The colorless grades are so close (allot closer packed than all other color grades), that the jump does not seem much to me. It may have some psichologic effect, but visual not really.
The lab report comes from a branch of EGL outside the US - and that may let gardes wander even more.

If that's 110% eye clean without magnification and top down (as set), SI2s are well worth 'messing with'... Return policies make it a safe bet. Diamond inclusions tend to grow the more you thing about them
2.gif
- and I can't know what you think.

From the information given I have no idea what the inclusions in that diamond are - the pictures are way too 'artistic' and the clarity plot has a failt red whif - I can't make out what symbol that is. Maybe a large feather in the pavilion? If there is just one grader under a HUGE TABLE like that, I don't think this eye clean. Really.

What tends to put me off from this stone - aside the 'D' color on EGL report... is the 80% table
32.gif
If the cut somehow works without a crown, ok, whatever. Considering this is not a 'radiant' but some sort of one of a kind fancy cut...

Oh well...
40.gif

Sorry. Maybe someone could love this. I am not an expert by all means - just happen to like looking into these things for good fun. This is merely a somewhat educated guess.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a couple to check out that I found on the pricescope database. Both are pretty square, and they both have a good chance of being eyeclean. They are quite a bit more expensive than the ebay diamond.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00972585

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=5032385&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 2:08:36 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren

This particular diamond looks pretty badly cut
While I was writing that huge post, the verdict had alredy been out.

David sells great radiants. I merely look at them... And could not possibly agree more.

That table is practically an inclusion showcase!
3.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...That "NO" was my response Belle! Umm, and isn't that a cz in the pic?
I look forward to your Thread entitled "WOW...Thank you price scope, I almost got scammed on an ebay diamond and look at the amazing price scope diamond I bought"
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 3:00:39 PM
Author: moremoremore
LOL...That 'NO' was my response Belle! Umm, and isn't that a cz in the pic?
I look forward to your Thread entitled 'WOW...Thank you price scope, I almost got scammed on an ebay diamond and look at the amazing price scope diamond I bought'

It happened ...

And not all other diamonds get hit upon...

And Pricescope doesn't sell diamonds ...

But that one is spoooooky nonetheless! It tool a couple of minutes to spot the feather (?) in the pictures. Those are 'eye clean' like an impressionist picture is bright.

Perhaps even the same shop can come with something better, and a clear copy of a the (other stone's) lab report.

Maybe the 6k is fair - the description makes it hard to guess what should this be fairly compared with. That's the one and only put off for me.
40.gif
Wouldn't it be nice to get a beautifully cut, clean and large looking D-Si2 rad for 6k
2.gif
You bet! - like the bets at a dice game. The difference is that dice have no gain to expect from the outcome of their jumping around and may actually let you win something. Yiks!
15.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I love their guarantee that you''ll be amazed when you see their jewelry in person (I assume). Yeah, I''ll bet.
11.gif

Call David at Diamonds by Lauren. He''s awesome.

shay

Luka

Rough_Rock
My Dad recently purchased a stone and setting from diamondsonweb.com and I have to say it was breathtaking and the service was amazing. My husband purchased my engagement ring from Larouche Diamonds in NYC and it''s a stunner, I get a lot of comments on the ring and I could never hope for anything better - it''s a gorgeous asscher with a halo. Anyhow, just thought I''d pipe up with my online buying experiences.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Please post photos.
Also I dont think anyone on here is saying do not purchase on online. As you see they were recomending an online vendor and many of us, myself included, have purchased diamonds on line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results