shape
carat
color
clarity

Those darned Golcondas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
It''s another Golconda in that oval marquise shape I like. At $1.25 million, just out of our ER budget...

The Golconda Diamond

Known as the Ultimate Diamond, this ring boasts an extremely rare and highly important, Internally Flawless, Golconda diamond weighing an amazing 9.83 carats. This glorious marquise-cut diamond is certified by the Gemological Institute of America and the Gubelin Gem Lab. It is by all standards, one of the very finest diamonds in the world. This diamond is splendidly cut in an antique modified oval-marquise and, because it is Internally Flawless, it literally glows. While all Golconda diamonds are quite rare, a large example such as this, weighing almost 10.00 full carats, is truly extraordinary. Set in platinum.

Golconda diamonds are the purest of all diamonds, possessing a level of clarity, purity and transparency unrivaled by any other diamond. They are universally accepted as the finest diamonds in the world.

golconda9.83.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There should be a law against torturing a Pricescoper that way.
2.gif

Ninama, who are those sweeties in your avatar?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!!!
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it thanks for sharing. I learned about Golconda stones recently. I didn't know they were that rare. . . more rare than a D. I would LOVE to see one in real life!!!! Swoon! Smelling salts please
27.gif

They showed one on Antique's Roadshow, Hawaii edition along w/some gorgeous art deco pieces. I just Love that show!!!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 2:38:42 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux

Ninama, who are those sweeties in your avatar?

Those are the chihuahua pups we brought home last Friday.

Whoopsie (19 ounces):

whoopsiglass.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
and Jigger (11 ounces):

Jigger_cup_copy.jpg

angeline

Ideal_Rock
First off, your pups are TOO CUTE!!!!

Secondly, I feel really depressed now after googling Golconda diamonds. There''s a whole other universe of diamonds out there... what I would give just to see one of these...
6.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I love your puppies
30.gif
Now bump up your budget and buy that ring
6.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For further reading about Golconda diamonds, see the thread, What Are Golconda Diamonds?. This thread, in turn, has links to other, older threads. I just want to make sure that anyone who is interested has as much information as possible at his fingertips. I have been enchanted by the myth of Golconda diamonds, "They are not whiter; they are more colorless" for years!

I still want to know if there are other diamonds being graded today, even though they do not originate in the Hyderabad/Golconda mines, that have a complete absence of nitrogen.

Deborah
34.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It's interesting that this stone is (supposedly) from a mine that played out in the mid-1800's, yet has a (marquise) cut that was first developed around 1920.

I'm assuming it's a recut?

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 10:20:37 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
It''s interesting that this stone is (supposedly) from a mine that played out in the mid-1800''s, yet has a (marquise) cut that was first developed around 1920.

I''m assuming it''s a recut?

I think in the quote in the first post it is described as:

"This diamond is splendidly cut in an antique modified oval-marquise"

Maybe that is more consistent?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s interesting that this stone is (supposedly) from a mine that played out in the mid-1800''s, yet has a (marquise) cut that was first developed around 1920.

Not necessarily...., there were plenty fancy shapes cut even prior to 1800''s...

It could have been re-touched or re-balanced though...

I just came back from Europe..., and witnessed an appendix accompanied to a GIA report stating a certain Diamond is Golconda???
I didn''t know GIA started identifying Golconda Diamonds..., can anyone chime in on this one???

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
I was watching The Antiques Roadshow for a bit last night and a guy came on with a stunning selection of jewelry from the 1920''s that he got from his mum. Amongst his treasures, which were valued at $197,000, was a drop dead GORGEOUS Golconda Emerald Cut diamond. They didn''t say the carat weight, but it appraised for $70-90k. Even on video, the diamond looked amazing.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

Date: 9/5/2007 1:04:00 AM
Author: DiaGem

It's interesting that this stone is (supposedly) from a mine that played out in the mid-1800's, yet has a (marquise) cut that was first developed around 1920.

Not necessarily...., there were plenty fancy shapes cut even prior to 1800's...

I just came back from Europe..., and witnessed an appendix accompanied to a GIA report stating a certain Diamond is Golconda???
I didn't know GIA started identifying Golconda Diamonds..., can anyone chime in on this one???

Skippy, to be honest, it's a pedigree that shows rarity, not so much a quality that a layperson could estimate just by looking. It would look like a D colored diamond, and really no different. It's that the chemical composition of the stone is the purest, meaning that a Type IIA stone of this nature will have generally free of nitrogen and other such impurities. Yes they generally have better clarity as well. In a lab they can be detected by a good eye and trained Gemologist, but generally need to be verified with a Type IIA tester, a machine that can easily do the work with the touch of an ON button...

DiaGem, GIA just started this service in June I believe. Here's one recently made. It's actually $125 for testing alone, verified verbally on the phone. $200 for testing and a letter, then $275 for testing, with a letter and picture of your stone. This cert had the works (but the details were deleted to protect the innocent), in addition to having the usual GIA cert. I guess they get away with charging that IF it's a Type IIA because you'll get your money's worth...

10.14ct D IF GIA Type IIA CERT.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 11:52:49 AM
Author:Ninama
It''s another Golconda in that oval marquise shape I like. At $1.25 million, just out of our ER budget...

The Golconda Diamond

Known as the Ultimate Diamond, this ring boasts an extremely rare and highly important, Internally Flawless, Golconda diamond weighing an amazing 9.83 carats. This glorious marquise-cut diamond is certified by the Gemological Institute of America and the Gubelin Gem Lab. It is by all standards, one of the very finest diamonds in the world. This diamond is splendidly cut in an antique modified oval-marquise and, because it is Internally Flawless, it literally glows. While all Golconda diamonds are quite rare, a large example such as this, weighing almost 10.00 full carats, is truly extraordinary. Set in platinum.

Golconda diamonds are the purest of all diamonds, possessing a level of clarity, purity and transparency unrivaled by any other diamond. They are universally accepted as the finest diamonds in the world.
where did you see this stone? Auction house?

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 10:00:03 AM
Author: Nicrez
Date: 9/4/2007 11:52:49 AM

where did you see this stone? Auction house?

I found it at M.S. Rau Antiques.

I also found this - at Joden World Resources, but the description is so cursory that they may be using term "Golconda" loosely (or not). No price is given...

Platinum ring with 1 Golconda oval diamond at 4.00 carats and 2 pear-shaped diamonds

golconda4.00.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock

Not necessarily...., there were plenty fancy shapes cut even prior to 1800's...

In its present form, this diamond was most likely cut around 1920, but no earlier than 1910.

Unless this diamond was recut from an older cut, then it's probably a "Golconda type" rather than a Golconda.

"Golconda type" is the rare category of type IIA diamonds, less than 2% of all diamonds mined.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 9:35:15 PM
Author: angeline
First off, your pups are TOO CUTE!!!!

Secondly, I feel really depressed now after googling Golconda diamonds. There's a whole other universe of diamonds out there... what I would give just to see one of these...
6.gif

Thank you. My FML has tiny blonde boy - we have the wolf sable girl. She's beautiful and hilarious.

I kind of felt the same way when I first learned about Golcondas, which was very recently (just about everything I know about diamonds is new to me). I'm pleased and relieved that I find OECs and EMCs attractive. I think my fiancé-to-be will be relieved, as well.
1.gif

This was the first Golconda I encountered:

3.38 Carat Type IIa Golconda Diamond Ring

Cut: Marquise Brilliant
Carat Weight: 3.38
Colour Grade: D Exceptional White+
Clarity: Flawless

Price - £87,750 $154,938 €128,159

"This is quite simply one of the finest diamond I have ever had the fortune to handle. It's not the largest stone to pass through my hands but in terms of sheer quality and rarity this stone surpasses them all."

marq_3.38_large123.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/5/2007 9:57:28 AM
Author: Nicrez

Not necessarily...., there were plenty fancy shapes cut even prior to 1800''s...

I didn''t know GIA started identifying Golconda Diamonds..., can anyone chime in on this one???

Skippy, to be honest, it''s a pedigree that shows rarity, not so much a quality that a layperson could estimate just by looking. It would look like a D colored diamond, and really no different. It''s that the chemical composition of the stone is the purest, meaning that a Type IIA stone of this nature will have generally free of nitrogen and other such impurities. Yes they generally have better clarity as well. In a lab they can be detected by a good eye and trained Gemologist, but generally need to be verified with a Type IIA tester, a machine that can easily do the work with the touch of an ON button...

DiaGem, GIA just started this service in June I believe. Here''s one recently made. It''s actually $125 for testing alone, verified verbally on the phone. $200 for testing and a letter, then $275 for testing, with a letter and picture of your stone. This cert had the works (but the details were deleted to protect the innocent), in addition to having the usual GIA cert. I guess they get away with charging that IF it''s a Type IIA because you''ll get your money''s worth...
Thanks Nicrez..., I see GIA jumped on using the Magic Word "Golconda" as a new marketing tool...

Pity....

Below is an example of a Gubelin appendix...., I think (if I read it correctly) it identifies the potential of that specific Gem originating in the Golconda mines region..., am I right?

Gubelin-0106160Golconda-3.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2007 9:58:44 PM
Author: AGBF
I still want to know if there are other diamonds being graded today, even though they do not originate in the Hyderabad/Golconda mines, that have a complete absence of nitrogen.

I take it that DiaGem has just answered that and that the answer is yes. In fact, the IIb stones may even have a report that refers to them as "Golconda" diamonds with some small print defining "Golconda" in their paperwork.

Deborah
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results