shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about starting over...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
I''ve put a lot of thought into finding my girlfriend the perfect engagement ring. I have spent countless hours researching and going through threads looking at the different styles and trying to figure everything out. I think I''ve came a long way and have learned quite a bit about diamonds. What I once thought was the perfect setting is now another mistake that I avoided thanks to some of the members here. I figured if I started to second guess myself, it was probably better to start over fresh. One thing I want to do is purchase the setting and diamond from the same company if possible. While I did have a few stones picked out from James Allen and I''m still waiting on the results, I haven''t been able to find a setting that I think she would love after dreamer_dachsie pointed out her concerns about the thickness of the band and how it would overpower the center stone. For some reason, I didn''t even bother to pay any attention to that when looking for a setting. I actually had planned to keep it a surprise, but after learning about that I figured it was best to explain it to my girlfriend and see what she thought. After showing her a few pictures of the setting, she decided she didn''t like it as much anymore. She really doesn''t want to know how her ring will look when I propose and I think I''ve gotten all the information I''m going to get from her. I think I''ve gotten her to warm up to the pave setting after showing her a few and I know she doesn''t want a simple solitaire setting. So that leaves me with two options. A simple pave setting or a solitaire setting with princess side stones. I''ve haven''t really came across very many solitaire settings with princess cuts, so I started to focus more on the pave setting. I think I might have found one that would really compliment a princess center stone, but I''m not exactly sure how it would look. I would love opinions on the setting with around a .50 and .70 princess center stone. I think I''m going to increase my budget to $3000 and go with a Brian Gavin signature diamond. Not only would it save me a lot of time trying to find a stone with the light performance I''m looking for, but I would feel a lot more comfortable going with a SI1 and make up for it in size. I''m sure most girls would prefer the bigger stone instead of the higher clarity. Sorry for the long post, but I would love to hear opinions on how this setting would look with a .50 or .70 princess center stone and if the size increase from a .50 to a .70 would be noticeable? Even though one of the diamonds from James Allen (.54ct) is still probably an option, I thinking it would be worth it to increase my budget a little and go with a .70 AGS0 from Brian Gavin.

Brian Gavin Setting

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The ring is lovely. Since she said she doesn''t want plain, that would be perfect. I wouldn''t do a 3 stone princess on your budget as it would look more like a right hand ring at the size you''d be able to get. But that''s only my opinion.

Btw, the format of your post..
23.gif
my eyes started to cross while reading it.. lol.. Spacing, spacing, spacing!

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
elle_chris, I definitely don't think I will consider another three stone setting until a few years when my budget goes up a couple grand. I just don't think the size and quality would be what neither of us had in mind. I'm really glad I posted and asked about it and dreamer_dachsie noticed the thickness of the band. It really made me pay closer attention when looking at settings. I really like the Brian Gavin setting, but am not sure how a princess cut would look with the pave setting. Anyone have the "under one carat" thread bookmarked? I've been trying to find it.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link! Any opinions on how that setting would look with a princess cut?

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
My vote..Increase the budget and go for the .70!
Its perfectly okay that you posted your feelings, its a very IMPORTANT purchase and a big one! Me and my FI were completely frustrated and started over as well. I personally recommend Brian & Lesley at BGD. Their service is amazing and they get to you on a more personal level. Also, they have a lifetime upgrade policy and its a good one :) I would vote for (the size over clarity) go for the .70!!! You better believe that .20 points would make a BIG difference, and an eye-clean SI1! I vote for the the setting you picked out and in fact another fellow PS''er has it OR the Fishtail pave for Princess, link below. Its very timeless and will not take away from the center stone. I would also add the truth head, its a beauty!

BGD Pave for Princess ring

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the size difference from .50 to .70 is noticable for sure. And that setting is lovely and will look stunning with a princess cut in it. I have the truth head with my own solitaire, and it is a gorgeous and graceful head.

But I am concerned about you pushing your budget. I know you want to do her proud and get her something amazing, but getting an AGS0 princess *will* be amazing in a .50 size too! Especially in the setting you are considering, which is stunning. My strong inclination is to try to stick to your original budget and go with the .50, and then take advantage of the ypgrade policy at BGD in a year or so when the economy turns your way again. This is what my husband and I have done and I am very happy that we did not overspend when we couldn''t afford it. Of course, if you can afford it, the .70 is a great option!

Seriously, a .50 AGSO (or .70) in that setting you chose will look like a jewel on her finger. She will be thrilled.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a pretty setting and will look great with either stone (of course I say go for the .7 if budget allows).
I wouldnt have the stones put all around the ring. I would only go 3/4 (or less) so you can resize if need be. A lot
of jewelers dont like to resize pave rings because it makes the stones loose.

I also like this setting (and think it would look great with a princess).
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5484

This would be pretty too and would make your stone pop (I would want it make with less metal - hopefully would make it cheaper).
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5470

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Okay, here's my input as a female.

1. "I think I've gotten her to warm up to the pave setting."

It sounds like a pave setting is something you want more than she does, or that you want her to want. And you are not even sure if she has warmed to the idea at all. You know that she doesn't want a plain solitaire, so go with the 2 side-stones idea (unless she has expressed distaste for 3-stone settings).

2. You say, "I'm sure most girls would prefer the bigger stone instead of the higher clarity."

This is absolutely false for me, and for many other girls as well. At the moment I have a 1.09ct low quality diamond, and we are going to replace it with a .50-.60 of great quality (not the fault of my fiance's choice, we fell for the setting and always intended to replace the diamond). I would personally have a strong preference for a .50 VS1 than a .70 SI1 (assuming they are also equal in color and quality of cut).

Has your girl actually come out and expressed a preference for a large low-quality stone over a smaller high quality stone? If not, I would subtly prod her for a preference before you make a big purchase like this. At the moment you are making your decision based purely on a sweeping generalization of all women's preferences. Don't make a big purchase like this based purely on assumption.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses! She would be proud with any ring I was to buy her. Increasing my budget was something I always considered and I still may go with either size, but I think it really will come down to what Brian Gavin has and which stone I prefer the most. When I mentioned the quality of the stone, I was referring to going from a VS1 to a SI1. Which really isn't lowering the quality or effecting the light performance. The reason I decided to consider a SI1, is I feel a lot more comfortable with a AGS0 and Brian Gavin. However, I do want to stay in the F/G/H color range.

tigerhearted, I can understand why it would seem like I like the pave setting more than she does. But that's really not the way it is. Originally, I picked the three stone setting out and once dreamer_dachsie pointed out the size of the band, I had second thoughts she would like the setting with a half carat center. Last night I explained how the rendering would be a different with a half carat and showed her pictures of the setting with similar size stones. She changed her mind quite fast when she seen the difference.

One thing she did make clear was that she wanted her ring to be a surprise and she didn't want to know how it would look finished, but I was still able to pick out a few setting that she liked to get an idea of what to consider. This came down to a simple pave setting or a setting with princess cut side stones. I haven't found any princess cut settings with side stones that really stood out to or her for that matter. The reason I think she originally didn't like any setting involving round stones in the setting was because of the channel look. I don't really like the channel look with rounds myself and she thought it wouldn't look right or match with a princess cut. However, when I mentioned she started to warm up to the pave setting, I meant it as a setting she really started to like and appreciate more once she had seen a few pictures of the style.

In my opinion, I think it comes down to a simple setting that compliments the center stone, yet keeps it the focus of the ring. I think the Brian Gavin setting not only does all the above, but it's also a beautiful setting at a very nice price as well. She loved how the pave wedding band looked with the other setting, so I think once she saw it in person, she would love it even more. Again, sorry the long post, I just wanted to try and let everything know where I was coming from since it has definitely been a journey that has changed several times. Thanks and I'm always willing to hear what others think whether their opinions differ or not.

As far as her preference to the size of the diamond, I don't think she really has a preference. Of course, she would love a 1.50 carat, but at the same time, she would be just as happy with a .50 carat set in a beautiful setting. The average stone around here is probably a half carat, but I would say it's probably smaller. I think she made it quite clear she wasn't going to tell me anything else and wanted me to pick her setting and stone out and surprise her. I can accept that and hopefully I get it right as well.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I like the ring but if there are pave diamonds all around resizing could be an issue. Just for me personally I''d perfer only diamonds 1/2 way around so that it could be resized.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
I''m still waiting on a response from BGD. I have inquired about a few possible custom settings and I am waiting to hear back to see what I could get done. I''ve spent a few hours going through designer settings and other settings and still haven''t found many without round melee. I still feel like her heart is on the princess cut, so I am going to wait and see what BGD quotes me and see if I can work something out. I will probably end up having to increase my budget to $3000 anyway, but if I can get the custom setting the way she would like it, it''s work it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results