shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension Settings - Do you like them?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a Gelin Abaci tension setting that is very unique. Being upfront here, I am trying to like the setting but I think it just isn't very me - I am unable to pull myself away from my super delicate pave settings.

So I want to know ...
Do you like tension settings?
What type of stone do you like best in them?
What shape of stone do you like best in them?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends entirely on whether it has a killer asscher or Octavia in it :naughty:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like round brilliants. I have a friend who has one and I love it!!! Not sure it is me but it is something I DO admire! :love: If I did own it I would wear it from time to time! do you have a pic of yours?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't care for them on my hand, but I've seen a few on other people that totally rock! They just don't suite my style, but if you can pull it off, they are gorgeous!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Yes Yes I love :love: :love: :love: Tension setting. Its because I don't like prongs, so I ALWAYS go for a semi bezel or tension setting look. Would love to see yours. I'm thinking of getting a G&A setting right now... would love to see what you have charmy. I love love the look of Blue stones with yellow gold tension setting. or a nice hunky rock! doesn't matter what kind. I even like Pears in Tension setting!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you know we have 4 tension settings.
A round ACA, a round Solasfera, a kicken asscher and a killer Octavia. :D

I'm nuts about them.
You can see more of what you paid for.
IMHO they are safer, no prongs that must have caught on something and bent open sometime yesterday when you didn't even notice. ;(
Much easier to keep clean.

After enjoying diamonds relatively free from obstructions I can't image putting one behind bars. :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of them seem to have a very masculine feel but I have seen one or two that I thought were pretty rings. They are not
my taste (unless its for a guy) but I could appreciate it on someone else.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any pictures because I have been way too lazy to setup for photo taking. I still need to share my new awesome OEC but hopefully I will get photos this weekend.

This is the setting ..it is style TR-202. I find it is more feminine than other styles given it has swan heads like a heart and lots of little diamonds. But in the end .. still a long long way from my 1.5 mm pave bands.

http://www.sndgems.com/tr-202-rings-engagement-set-tension-diamond-jewelry-designer-premier-collection-abaci-gelin.htm

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh wow, your new OEC would look gorgeous in that!!! can't wait to see :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I think they're very masculine. They aren't my style.

Also, even if I did like them, they just don't seem very secure to me.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like them if they're not too chunky. I put my chameleon in a tension setting specifically because I wanted to get a more open view at the sides.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Masculine? This?

My mom has a tension setting (a little more that she's worn 15 years and it's held up.

Modern-Platinum-Engagement-Ring.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I envision when I think of a tension setting:

tension-setting.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1323730454|3080056 said:
oh wow, your new OEC would look gorgeous in that!!! can't wait to see :love:

Skippy - I don't think I can put my OEC in it. I haven't decided on how to set my OEC yet .. I have been waffling between a halo or something else. I think I am going to land back on a delicate pave setting or something with side stones. My OEC is very feminine and I can't imagine her with this setting anymore.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1323735472|3080103 said:
And then this is a bit between masculine and feminine

hmm... I don't particularly care for that. It still does read masculine to me, even though they added swoopiness to "blunt" it...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Echidna|1323727240|3080031 said:
My favourite tension setting (and probably the only one I would consider wearing) is the Stephen Kretchmer Omega with high polish.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/steven-kretchmer-jewelry/rings/05O1/

I think I love it with an RB best because it looks more fluid and organic to my eye.

I tried this on and it is kick ass, loved it. Perfect with a 1ct diamond. At the time I was looking to set a 1.2ct, which I thought was too big for this style. But A 1CT would be perfect.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1323734636|3080089 said:
Masculine? This?

My mom has a tension setting (a little more that she's worn 15 years and it's held up.

This amazes me. How do they force the metal into tension sufficient to grip the stone with a configuration like that? It's textbook shear! Amazing, truly :sun:

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of a tension setting in theory, but the ones I've seen in real life look very manly.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1323736766|3080114 said:
MissStepcut|1323734636|3080089 said:
Masculine? This?

This amazes me. How do they force the metal into tension sufficient to grip the stone with a configuration like that? It's textbook shear! Amazing, truly :sun:
Wow, apparently I decided to just stop typing and hit "submit." What I mean to say was, (a little more substantial than this)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love some of the designs from the German jeweler, Niessing.
Some strike me more as art than wearable jewelry, much in the way haute couture is often not terribly practical.

They call these two King and Queen.

A couple of their designs make nervous, like this one.

... or this one, where the stone is free to flop around within the gap.

Niessing King & Queen.png

Niessing Acrobat.png

Niessing High Noon.png

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kenny those are AWESOME... I want the acrobat! With an inexpensive stone, who cares, right? Maybe a pink tourm...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1323740958|3080168 said:
Kenny those are AWESOME... I want the acrobat! With an inexpensive stone, who cares, right? Maybe a pink tourm...

Rob a bank first.
Neissing is even more expensive than Steven Kretchmer.
And I'd never put a 1 ct Fancy Vivid Pink diamond in that floppy setting.
Can you imagine? :-o
I think that one comes with a synthetic stone.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1323741219|3080169 said:
MissStepcut|1323740958|3080168 said:

Rob a bank first.
Neissing is even more expensive than Steven Kretchmer.
And I'd never put a 1 ct Fancy Vivid Pink diamond in that floppy setting.
Can you imagine? :-o
I think that one comes with a synthetic stone.
Well the floppy setting must inevitably lead to abrasions.

As far as bank-robbing goes, :confused:

http://www.stuartmoore.com/url/Niessing#

Don't look a lot more expensive than what PSers regularly drop on settings...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ooo.png

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Men love tension settings, and it seems like we've talked a lot of men out of proposing with a tension setting :lol: The whole magical engineering thing really seems to appeal to guys. I like how modern they tend to look, but would never want one for an e-ring. Potentially for a RHR.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like it varies a lot, then. But with that thick heavy style and current platinum prices, it sounds about appropriate.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I liked that site Kenny! I am surprised how cool those were, I love the "compressed". I digress...just wanted to add in that my Mother-in-Law put the big princess upgrade diamond in her husband's upgrade titanium wedding band which the jewelers created into a tension setting for her. A beautiful way to keep him close to her heart. It looks very modern and clean. I'm afraid I don't have any pics though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results