shape
carat
color
clarity

Square Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
OK, we''re very very early in our research and search for my e-ring. Just wondering what my options are for square cuts - I like Princess but want to know about more cuts.
I love sparkly and symmetrical...and really want something that will blow people away - something really stylish. I''m pretty sure I''ll go for a solitaire.
Can anyone help?!?!?!?!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a long list of branded cuts, many square ones too.

You can find a couple explained in detail at Good Old Gold

and there is a thread on the FAQ forum listing most branded diamond cuts known
2.gif

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that - have had a look. I guess I''m after advice from people who actually have a square cut and about their search for the perfect diamond. Which do they find is the most sparkly and who''s had comments about their stylish ring or different stone? I''m the same as all the newbies - there''s so much information it''s really hard to know where to start!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see....

It is hard to get a few of these branded cuts lined up in the same shop. Most carry just one and every add will say the same thing - that theirs is the most brilliant square diamond
2.gif

There have been some square rings talked about recently. You may want to ask their owners directly, if there is not enough response to this.

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your advice - are the branded cuts really just own versions of all the traditional cuts. I have been looking a lot at the old european cuts and (forgive my ignorance) was wondering if there''s a similar square cut? These are really unusual - and I haven''t seen many on modern rings in Aus.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my wife''s Jubilee cut diamond e-ring from GOG. I knew she wanted a squareish looking diamond and wanted to see what was available besides princess cuts. I found this website and GOG and read a lot about diamonds and what was available. GOG had just started selling the Jubilee and I liked the way it performed. Similar to a round but in a square shape. I''m very happy with it and my wife loves it. The Square H&A that GOG now sells wasn''t available at the time and the Jubilee was my best option. I''d buy from GOG again if I was in the market for another diamond.

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Jubilee is lovely - it''s definitely high up on my list. Our wedding is going to be 40s inspired - very stylish and classic so I guess I fancy things from this era - Jubilee strikes me in the same way.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2005 7:22:03 PM
Author: rubybrierley

are the branded cuts really just own versions of all the traditional cuts.

No, not all - there are branded version of traditional cuts (e.g. the original Grossbard randiant, and the Royal Asscher cut, probably others too). Most are different designs, with no generic counterpart.

I have been looking a lot at the old european cuts and was wondering if there''s a similar square cut?

Could it be that you are looking for an Old Mine cut? Those are squareish... and the style is still being cut - because the look is still popular.

If you mean something with pointy corners, than you might be after something quite unusual. I am not aware of any modern cut diamonds that are a modified versions of these oldies. Some Old mine cuts are more square than others - these happen to be among the early examples of the cut and definitely not common.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
The square H&A is also very nice if you want the extra SPARKLE! Supposetly, the square H&A can compete with round cuts.

I would also suggest to go on GOG and look at all the different square cuts they have or at least their pictues to see what you like. I''m a square obsessed person and my favorite are the Princess, Asscher and Lucere cut. Then comes the jubilee, flander and square H&A.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, my fiance proposed with a Jubilee and I adore it! I liked the square H&A too but I felt it was too much of a cushion look IMO the Jubilee looks more square when set. I have to admit I''m still a huge fan of princess cuts though. Hope this helps!

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
That''s wonderful advice - it''s sometimes hard to know until you see the entire stone and setting. Definitely keen on Jubilees - although I have a ring (el cheapo) which is probably mauve glass but it has a beautiful cut - sort of like a Princess but more defined and without the "smashed glass" look. Will take it into a jeweller and get some advice regarding the cut.

So many beautiful ones to choose from, just need help narrowing it down...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2005 10:48:27 PM
Author: rubybrierley

- sort of like a Princess but more defined and without the ''smashed glass'' look.
If you can take close up pictures, same can be done here
5.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I guess a radiant isn''t technically a square cut because of the cut corners, but mine looks very square because the prongs cover the cut corners completely. An amateur would never know that mine isn''t a square shaped diamond. And personally, I think my radiant is as sparkly as a round in most lights.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the differences between the square H&A, Jubilee, Lucida, and cushion cuts? I''ve always been a little confused about those.

Chinchy

Rough_Rock
When I was purchasing a diamond, I too was looking at all the square cuts. I got to see in person the Jubilee, the Square Hearts and Arrows, and the Hearts on Fire Dream. Unfortunately I didn''t get a chance to look at them all side by side for direct comparisons. They''re all beautiful looking stones however, and may sparkle in slightly different ways. Some may have smaller glints of light, similar to the princess, others may have larger sparkles like H&A rounds, and others may have more fire.

I really advise being able to look at the rock in person, under different kinds of light to make sure it''s what you want. In the end I was deciding between the Jubilee and the Sq H&A, but of the two specific stones that I was choosing between, one had a slightly better BrillianceScope report (the Sq H&A). And when I looked at it in person, even though the Jubilee had better clarity and color (and slightly larger spread), the Square H&A had a better contrast, which the appraiser told me would end up looking better.

And after the ring was set and on my fiancée''s finger, and I was able to see it in different lighting, it was very much a winner! And so far everyone has commented on how bright and sparkly it is.. It''s quite the fire-rock. :D

koko

Shiny_Rock
I think if you like "sparkly" you may prefer a princess or radiant cut. I have a co-worker who has a 2 carat radiant, but it''s set in a low basket style setting, so it''s rather understated. I prefer step cuts, and I personally have a emerald cut, but I''d love a 2 carat royal asscher one day as an upgrade....love that art deco style......Good Luck on your search!
21.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Chinchy~
What did you think about the Square H&A compared to the Dream diamond? We have seen the Dream in person and it sparkled like crazy!! What is the difference between the Square H&A and the Dream?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Indecisive: Ok I''m not Chinchy but I too have seen the HOF Dream in person. It does sparkle like crazy. However I don''t like the high markup on it.
14.gif
Also, it only has hearts but not arrows (if I recall correctly) it similiar to the Queen of Hearts that GOG sells or er used to. What I like about the Square H&A and Jubilee are the arrows that shoot at you when you''re viewing the diamond when set.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much princessv! I was wondering what the difference was. I just wish there was a way to see more different cuts next to each other!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/10/2005 12:15:41 AM
Author: indecisive
Thank you so much princessv! I was wondering what the difference was. I just wish there was a way to see more different cuts next to each other!!
Would you like a side by side shot of some various flavors? Ruby ... which kind of comparison would you like to see? When I get to the lab tomorrow I can snap off some shots if that''ll help.

urbanspacegirl

Rough_Rock
yes please put them side by side!

i''m looking at square-ish rocks too, with H&A patterns.

has anyone seen the Square H&As from diamondexchange?

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Rhino, that would be absolutely fantastic! I''d love to see the Princess, Jubilee, Square H&A and the Regency compared (not asking a lot, I know!). I had a quick browse in the regular jewellers on the weekend - I think it''s definitely going to be a case of buying a loose diamond and getting it set. Thanks so much.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2005 1:16:07 AM
Author: Rhino
Date: 12/10/2005 12:15:41 AM

Author: indecisive

Would you like a side by side shot of some various flavors? Ruby ... which kind of comparison would you like to see? When I get to the lab tomorrow I can snap off some shots if that''ll help.

I believe these are GOG pics - hope it''s ok if I post them, Rhino!

Left to right: Round, Jubilee, Princess

diamonds jubilee round princess.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Square H&A and Jubilee

diamonds sq cushion jubilee.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Left to right: Queen of Hearts, Jubilee, Regent

GOG regent jubilee queen 3.JPG

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess and Jubilee

Jubilee Princess c.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond_girl''s square radiant

I''m usually not a big radiant fan, but THIS looks FABULOUS!

Radiant 1.55ct diamond_girl d.jpg

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
The square H&A and the Jubilee look gorgeous - not so keen on the Regent now that it''s compared with the others, would it perhaps not look as square as the others once it was set? I''m looking at having a split shank - would that influence the cut I may choose?

smh

Rough_Rock
I just picked this Radiant from James Allen. It''s 1.01ct, F, SI1, eyeclean. The measurements fall into the 1a category.

The picture does not justice and is a terrible shot.

smh

untitled98898989898.JPG

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503, those pictures are very informative! How would the HOF Dream, Lucida, and the cushion cut differ from the ones you''ve shown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results