shape
carat
color
clarity

Snort!!!!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
An eBay vendor just tried to tell me that the cut of the diamond is the symmetry of the diamond...when I inquired into the crown and pavilion angles.

Really? Do people fall for that stuff?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think most people are ignorant about cut. I don't think there is necessarily an intent to deceive. How many of us had heard of idealscopes or ASET scopes before coming here?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
very few I am sure, but if I walked into a store and the sales person said to me "The cut of the stone is the same as the symmetry of the stone" I would question it knowing as little as I did back in 2007.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I really have had a very different experience, then! Because I don't generally see that people working behind the jewelry counter ever know as much as I do. I remember going with my daughter to look at wedding bands at several jewelers and we were asking for a milgrain, beadset band and you wouldn't believe what they pulled out to show us! A GIA graduate will know better, of course, but I don't think those without that training really have a clue about cut. I think it was pretty good that they used the word "symmetry"! :lol:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find most jewelers know less than I know about diamonds, and ebay sellers know little to nothing! I try to keep my questions simple. Ask for the lab report number so I can look it up myself on GIA or AGS, ask if there are any "visible black or white markings in the stone". You can't even really ask about the measurements because I have found most cannot read a millimeter ruler ;)) Of course, the ones selling items for more money know more, but you pay for that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I always ask for the "data" in the form of a lab cert. If they cannot provide it I ask if they can. I never go anywhere to buy gems or jewellery intending to come across as "knowing more" and/or "better"; it just isn't helpful. I like to be informed about my purchases, and most people I find understand this "persepctive", and in the rare case they don't, I don't persue it.

cheers--Sharon

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
stone is graded in 2003 by GIA no angles, no pavilion, no cut grade. Looks pretty though.

ETA: Knowing this I am trying to get a steal of a deal but it might not work out for me! They do have a return policy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327425172|3110517 said:
Oh, I really have had a very different experience, then! Because I don't generally see that people working behind the jewelry counter ever know as much as I do. I remember going with my daughter to look at wedding bands at several jewelers and we were asking for a milgrain, beadset band and you wouldn't believe what they pulled out to show us! A GIA graduate will know better, of course, but I don't think those without that training really have a clue about cut. I think it was pretty good that they used the word "symmetry"! :lol:

When you go into a jewelery store, whether the sales person knows anything is hit or miss. I asked for a AGS graded stones when I went into Fred Meyer jewelers and the gal told me they didn't carry those because they were a special branded stone! She didn't understand that AGS grades stones.

I have noticed some B&M stores have sales associates credentials mounted on the wall. The gal at Ben Bridge who sold me a diamond had completed the GIA course and sold me a beautiful diamond.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1327427361|3110551 said:
HI:

I always ask for the "data" in the form of a lab cert. If they cannot provide it I ask if they can. I never go anywhere to buy gems or jewellery intending to come across as "knowing more" and/or "better"; it just isn't helpful. I like to be informed about my purchases, and most people I find understand this "persepctive", and in the rare case they don't, I don't persue it.

cheers--Sharon

Yes, to be clear about my post, if I ask questions and it is obvious the person does not really know I simply thank them and move on, or accept they can't give me the information I want, in the case of many ebay purchases.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AllieLuv83|1327427424|3110553 said:
stone is graded in 2003 by GIA no angles, no pavilion, no cut grade. Looks pretty though.

ETA: Knowing this I am trying to get a steal of a deal but it might not work out for me! They do have a return policy.

Maybe can estimate pav/crown from a good clear face-up photo

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was early for a visit today so amused myself at a local mall. Wandered to a chain jeweller and tried on some anniversary bands - 5 & 7 stones. The sales lady is reading off the tag to me and very excitedly telling me that the I colour and I 2/3 clarity tell her that this is practically a perfectly clean diamond. "Its unusual to find an eternity band any higher quality than this one"..... :-o :lol: :roll:

Yeah.... riiiiiiiight....

But it killed time while waiting for the other personnel to show up, so it was amusing! Sometimes the staff at the B&M stores are very entertaining!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think this one will work out the seller is not budging on price, and I think it is priced a little high for no cut grade.

Screen shot 2012-01-24 at 8.59.24 PM.png

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Sales people are typically poorly paid vs other professional jobs. So only those who derive satisfaction or are passionate about what they are selling, or who have oodles of experience would know their stuff well.

If they were very savvy and knew a lot, they would be of a higher caliber and would move on to other roles, or would be the store manager etc over time. So it is a self fulfilling prophecy. I prefer things as they are. If you know your stuff, well and good, you just need assistance from the sales person, not advice.

For people who are of a mind to listen to sales people for advice, good for them too. I don't hold it against sales people for not knowing their product - only when they are rude/obnoxious or judgemental about who is worth serving or not.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327424489|3110508 said:
I really think most people are ignorant about cut. I don't think there is necessarily an intent to deceive. How many of us had heard of idealscopes or ASET scopes before coming here?

Ditto

snow12

Rough_Rock
Last week I wandered into a small local jewelers looking for emerald cuts. He said he had some on hand but were smaller than what I was looking for... he then told me he had an uncertified diamond he would sell me very cheaply... He brought it out and I noticed it was a radiant cut, not emerald cut. I promptly told him I was only interested in emerald cuts and he responded saying "radiants are just like emerald cuts, hard to tell the difference, even up close".. after that I left! I'm no expert but I would never want to buy a diamond from someone who didn't even know the difference between a brilliant cut diamond and a step cut!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like that ring and the stone looks good. I'm no expert though - but why does this photo remind me of Charmypoo? lol

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
snow12|1327507152|3111366 said:
Last week I wandered into a small local jewelers looking for emerald cuts. He said he had some on hand but were smaller than what I was looking for... he then told me he had an uncertified diamond he would sell me very cheaply... He brought it out and I noticed it was a radiant cut, not emerald cut. I promptly told him I was only interested in emerald cuts and he responded saying "radiants are just like emerald cuts, hard to tell the difference, even up close".. after that I left! I'm no expert but I would never want to buy a diamond from someone who didn't even know the difference between a brilliant cut diamond and a step cut!

:lol: :lol: I had a similar experience, I went into a BM and asked if they had any asschers ( a hard find in a BM around here) and she told me the same thing that they had a couple radiants. I told her that I was really looking for a step cut and she told me that emeralds were the only step cuts. :roll: I even gave her the benefit of the doubt and said 'ok, maybe I should have said that I was looking for a square step cut, I know that 'asscher' is thrown around to include these.' Again she told me that they were no 'square' step cuts only the emerald and then explained that they were rectangles. :o I'm getting really frustrated and started explaining ONE more time, she then grabbed her shape sheet....I'm not kidding....and proceeded to tell me that 'asschers were step cuts only to a point....' huh??? at what point did they stop being a step cut??? :roll: Anyway, I thanked her, suggested to the manager that she be re-trained, grabbed DH and left, laughing the whole way out the door. Really??!! These sales people don't even know what cuts diamonds come in? It wasn't like I was even asking for something rather obscure, or a branded stone. It's really quite amazing!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
snow12|1327507152|3111366 said:

This reminds me of my mother! She loves emerald cut stones and is convinced that that's what she wears. She thinks you just can't tell the steps because it's a smaller stone. Her stone much closer to a radiant cut. No matter how many I show her in jewellery stores she thinks hers looks different because it's not clean or because it's small. For her it's an emerald cut shape and therefore and emerald cut stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results