shape
carat
color
clarity

Single Stone Re-polish Results!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
So, I enjoy jewelery more when it is a bargain. The kind of stone I wanted was in the 15k range but I really couldn''t justify spending that much on a diamond when that money could be put to my mortgage principal. Therefore, I set out looking for a used stone. I won an 2.23 old euro from ebay''s SFLmaven. It was my second major diamond purchase from them. I sold the tiffany novo I bought from them to finance this as my "forever" stone. They described the stone as an M vs2. The stone is very shallow (50% depth) and had a brownish haze in the table that was a reflection of the rough girdle.

I sent it off to Single Stone to see what they could do to correct the problem. Once Ari at single stone inspected it he pronounced it more of a Q-R color but said it was very nice for what it was and that I stole it for what I paid. He gave me two options: facet the girdle and repair any chips and abrasions for a minimum weight loss or significantly improve the optics and put it under 2cts. I was inclined to go with a moderate recut but my fiance insisted that I would regret making it under 2 carats.

So I told Ari I just wanted the girdle faceted and the damage repaired. Once he had completed that he called to say the cutter has enough weight still that he can really improve the optics and whiteness by pushing it closer to 2 carats. I was thrilled! I get to have my cake and eat it too. The results are amazing, I can not believe they made a 50% depth stone look this great. The end result is just 17 points less at 2.06 and it went from 8.8mm to 8.45. So by doing some leg work and with the help of the talented folks at single stone I got an awesome 2 carat diamond that faces up huge for just over 5k.

I highly recommend Single Stone to anyone with a diamond that needs help reaching its full potential. The customer service is excellent, the work was completed in only 4 days and at a very reasonable price.

Here is the "before"

smallIMG_4166.JPG

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The color is very appealing. It mostly looks bright white like above but can also go crazy depending on it''s environment. The body color reminds me of late afternoon sunshine. It came in a platinum setting and I plan to have Leon Mege make a custom one for it. It never looked off at all set in platinum.

smalloecoutdoors 068.JPG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, very beautiful stone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty diamond. They did a great job.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Is it OK to ask what you paid for the recut? It looks really nice and I want a pear I have recut.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 5:30:43 PM
Author: Lone_Wolfe
Is it OK to ask what you paid for the recut? It looks really nice and I want a pear I have recut.
No problem. It ranges from 150-350 per carat. The 150 price would be if you just needed re-polishing and the 350 is for a full recut. Mine ended up being a full re-cut and I'm so happy I went that direction.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious, did you have to sign something releasing the cutter from liability if the stone broke apart during recutting?

I hear this is standard.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I didn't sign anything but he sent me an email explaining the risks and asked me to reply that I agreed to accept them. They WILL accept liability for the stone if you want to pay 10% of it's value in addition. I did not feel this was necessary as he said in 20 years of restoring 6-8 old stones a week none has ever broken and mine was particularly low risk as it was very clean.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kelpie.
35.gif

Wow looks great! I honestly thought recutting was in the thousands... haha so thanks for the info!!!

Please share more pictures if you can :D

Lula

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I love the color. "Lower" color stones are so great because they look so different depending on the lighting conditions. Like a kaleidoscope!

ETA: And how wonderful to know recutting is so affordable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The patterning is so lovely
30.gif

NICE find!! And how fantastic that the recut worked out so well!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Single Stone did an amazing job on this stone. I didn''t know they offered this service but it is good to know!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is the business! Great find!

I also thought a re-cut was way expensive!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your kind comments! I managed to get some better pictures. It''s funny how you have to take 20 blurry ones to get one good one (unless you are Kenny)!

0501 017.JPG

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Thanks kelpie.

P. S. If you decide you want your 5k back let me know........
9.gif

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 7:13:17 PM
Author: Lone_Wolfe
P. S. If you decide you want your 5k back let me know........
9.gif
Lol! I''m notorious for doing just that, buying something I can''t live without then turning around and selling it. But this one''s a keeper. It''ll be my 5th engagement ring and I''m not even married yet!!!!

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I too was shocked to learn recuts are not that much. BGD did my 1 carat for $350 and that baby sparkles like crazy and has gorgeous arrows now. If anyone is considering a recut I say go for it. You will get something you love

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Kelpie, it is GORGEOUS!!!! And this is from a bargain queen myself. You have a crystalized rainbow on your finger. I''m so excited that this turned out so nicely for you!!! Way to go!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
superb!!

this stone has an amazing hue

taking the plunge has really paid off - congrats!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to show you all what it looks like set.

0501 122.JPG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 7:09:10 PM
Author: kelpie
Thank you all for your kind comments! I managed to get some better pictures. It's funny how you have to take 20 blurry ones to get one good one (unless you are Kenny)!

Oh Dear Me!
Even with fancy gear I take zillions to get one worth posting.

Thank goodness I no longer pay for film or developing.
36.gif

It really is a yummie stone.
Now I'm thinking I need an antique cut.
Drats! PS is taking all my money away.
39.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
It looks lovely. :)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh *wow*. You''d never guess it was 50% depth. I have a TC that''s gotta be something like that in depth- super shallow- and it also is a very lively stone. Ari did such a great job with the recut, wow! It looks really, really white too. How cool
9.gif

RingSighs

Rough_Rock
Wow, that re-cut made a world of difference. The stone turned out beautifully! You definintely made the right decision!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results