shape
carat
color
clarity

Sidestones on tiny fingers - overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
My current e-ring is a .75ct 6mm solitaire. I''m dreaming about upgrading via a reset and I really like the idea of adding sidestones. I especially love pear side stones or any look that sort of tapers on either side of the finger. My solitaire currently takes up about 3/4 of my size 2.75 finger. Would it be overkill to add pointy sidestones? If anyone has something similar to what I''ve described, please post pictures
2.gif

I''ll appreciate any suggestions to bling up my ring a bit. I love solitaires but I also want the ''oh wow oh my god it''s gorgeous'' factor, and given that my current diamond isn''t an ideal cut, I think it needs a push up bra
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it''s not. at all. it''d be totally classy.

but if you love solitaires, what about an eternity band?

sera

Ideal_Rock

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the ideas Julie and Sera!

I''m actually hoping for a half-eternity for my b-day this year, but I also think my solitaire needs an overhaul. I''ve never been happy with how high my diamond sits, so a reset seems like a good idea.

I LOVE the pave band semi-mounts but my wedding band is a simple half-round band with diamonds flush set into the ring, so I''m not sure how a pave band would look next to it. So far, I really like the idea of baguettes and three tiny rounds in a triangle for the ''pointy'' look. Does anyone here have rings with a setting like that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think side baguettes would be the most classy. I like small pear sides better with large center stones (like Kaleigh''s).

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Oh no Wolftress I think it would look wonderful! Not too much at all. I love that look too. Have you seen this thread? Especially look for KristyDarling''s Rb with pear sides, it''s a monster and I think she''s got only size 3.5.

Rounds with pear sides

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think pears or bags would be very elegant and not overkill for your hand. They are too very different looks, hard to pick a favorite. I might like bags with claw prongs a little better than pears.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker, you''re right! Pears look gorgeous next to huge centre stones like kslim''s and Kaleigh''s. It somehow softens the look a little and makes the rings look like works of art. I was just about to give up on the idea until (fingers and toes crossed!!) I get a big upgrade in 10 or 20 years time
11.gif
when I saw Oceanbeach''s https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-the-new-trend-blowing-in.42128/page-3

It makes my heart go pitty-pat! It''s perfect and delicious and wonderful!! I wonder what size pears I would need for a .75ct to get similar proportions?

Here''s a pic of my solitaire, by the way.

wlftrswedset2109.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 10:49:50 AM
Author: angeline
Oh no Wolftress I think it would look wonderful! Not too much at all. I love that look too. Have you seen this thread? Especially look for KristyDarling''s Rb with pear sides, it''s a monster and I think she''s got only size 3.5.

Rounds with pear sides
angeline, I was in love with KristyDarling''s RB when it was a solitaire, but this is even better!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 3:13:14 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I think pears or bags would be very elegant and not overkill for your hand. They are too very different looks, hard to pick a favorite. I might like bags with claw prongs a little better than pears.
Thanks, kcoursolle
1.gif
Do you know anyone who has bags with claw prongs? I don''t remember seeing any PS-ers with rings like that.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Cowbunga!! That stone looks like a 2 carat on you itty bitty barbie doll hand! How can you hold on to anything?
2.gif
Bless you little heart!! You ring finger is smaller than my pinkie. I am such a cow.

I don''t think it would be overkill, everything in correct ratio. Lucky for you...you don''t have to spend $$$ on finger coverage. A grain of salt should do the trick!!

There is some chart that shows measurement...does anyone know how to find it? There are pros here that will steer you right. I just had to tell you I think you are adorable!!

DKS

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 8:20:41 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Cowbunga!! That stone looks like a 2 carat on you itty bitty barbie doll hand! How can you hold on to anything?
2.gif
Bless you little heart!! You ring finger is smaller than my pinkie. I am such a cow.

I don''t think it would be overkill, everything in correct ratio. Lucky for you...you don''t have to spend $$$ on finger coverage. A grain of salt should do the trick!!

There is some chart that shows measurement...does anyone know how to find it? There are pros here that will steer you right. I just had to tell you I think you are adorable!!

DKS
DKS I love your sense of humour!! I do have very small hands... DH is still wiping beads of sweat off his brow over saving money on a 1 carat diamond
1.gif
But then I remind him that my ears are normal-sized and could definitely carry of huge studs
9.gif
Actually, my ears are big for my size and I look a bit like Mickey Mouse!

I''m actually very envious of women with normal-sized hands. I would love to be able to carry off 7mm or so in stacked rings on my fingers, but it looks like I''m a 6-year-old who raided her mother''s jewellery box when I do that
5.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!
9.gif
What size did you say your finger is? I think it looks great on your hand.

Personally I think the key is getting the side stones set at the right angle to the center stone. Several of the really impressive ones here on PS have the pear tips slightly angled down away from the center stone. That way it doesn''t look like you added wings to your RB!!!
23.gif

I have small hands -- not much space between my knuckles and am trying to figure out how to pull off the stacked look too. I love it on other people.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 9:55:29 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Beautiful ring!
9.gif
What size did you say your finger is? I think it looks great on your hand.

Personally I think the key is getting the side stones set at the right angle to the center stone. Several of the really impressive ones here on PS have the pear tips slightly angled down away from the center stone. That way it doesn''t look like you added wings to your RB!!!
23.gif

I have small hands -- not much space between my knuckles and am trying to figure out how to pull off the stacked look too. I love it on other people.
Thank you, Stone Hunter! My fingers are size 2.75 and I think my .75ct is quite spready for its weight. It''s not ideal cut though, hence the need for a ''push up bra''!

The ''stone with wings'' look is exactly what I''m trying to avoid
1.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like plenty of room for pears. Just don''t make them too large. Your hands look about the same size as mine. You could get away with winging out the sidestones, if you wanted a vintage square-shoulder look. But you''d also have to change the wedding band to match.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 10:37:33 PM
Author: lyra
Here is the chart on finger coverage, if that''s what was requested.:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-the-chart-with-ring-sizes-and-percentage-of-finger-coverage.64644/
Thanks for the chart, lyra.

How strange. According to the chart, a .75ct should only take up 45% or so of my finger, but it seems to take up more. Maybe that has to do with how high the diamond has been set on my ring
33.gif

Can anyone suggest what size pears I should go with on either side?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Wolfie,

I just looked at that thread sevens 1 provided on pear sides...and Flopkins ratio was the closest to yours I found.

0.82ct center
.25 and .26 pear sidestones
ring size 4.5

Her hand shot is provided in that thread. At a small finger size of 4.5 she has total coverage. But as others metioned, if the stones were angled downward...as apposed to being flat across...you may be able to go with a side stone as large. As you mentioned your stone has spread...the pear shape may also have spread that would decrease the coverage. Wonder if my thought holds any merit?

DKS

Oh thanks Lyra for the chart...you only have 9 posts and are more helpful than I.
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I assume your stone is round?

What about half moon or trap side stones? They would add some oomph factor without being too pointy, so they might balance the room left on either side of your stone for some great finger coverage!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The RB flanked by pears is my favourite classic setting. I agree that the ratio of 4:1 seems about right. The classic tiffany setting seems to me to be the most stunning and wearable due to it's beautiful flow and gentle uninterrupted curve.

tiffany pear2.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2007 12:47:16 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Wolfie,Oh thanks Lyra for the chart...you only have 9 posts and are more helpful than I.
36.gif
You''re welcome.
41.gif
If only I could quote, cut and paste, insert links and images as easily as it looks! I just lost a full post here trying to post one image! Back to research mode, then bed.
34.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I love flopkin''s ring too, DKS
1.gif
I''ll start looking for matching .20 point stones. Maybe I can even go as small as .15 so they look like accents instead of a 3-stone ring.

diamondfan, you evil evil woman, now half moons are thrown into the mix too! surfgirl''s ring looks perfect with half moons and is actually my all-time PS fave.

Pears or half moons? Pros and cons, especially for smaller-fingered gals? Are they about the same price?

Lyra, welcome to PS! Didn''t realise you were new here. You''ve got the hang of all this posting stuff really quickly
36.gif
That classic Tiffany setting is to die for. I think they''re best at the simplest designs.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wolftress, happy to be of, ahem, help!
2.gif
Just did not want you to miss any good choices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results