shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping + insurance - who pays?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if you've ever paid the shipping + insurance when you've purchased diamonds/jewelry online. I've only purchased jewelry online from ID Jewelry and they covered the shipping + insurance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the specific seller...for example when I purchased from sellers on Ruby Lane I paid shipping and insurance but when I purchased from JbEG the price was all inclusive.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Missy! :wavey:

I just assumed all the "big" vendors paid for the shipping/insurance.

I just ordered some earring settings from BGD and they're having me pay for shipping + insurance. It won't be much- prob $15, but I was like "huh...?". I like free shipping! :D

I will say that their 18k white gold bezel + milgrain earring settings are $200-$400 less than some of the other PS vendors I received quotes from! So, that's cool. :praise:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LALove|1331589006|3147146 said:
Thanks Missy! :wavey:

I just assumed all the "big" vendors paid for the shipping/insurance.

I just ordered some earring settings from BGD and they're having me pay for shipping + insurance. It won't be much- prob $15, but I was like "huh...?". I like free shipping! :D

I will say that their 18k white gold bezel + milgrain earring settings are $200-$400 less than some of the other PS vendors I received quotes from! So, that's cool. :praise:

Hi LALove-I like free shipping too. :appl:

I would have expected that BGD paid for Shipping and Insurance too actually...that does surprise me a bit. I never bought from them but I guess I thought the same as you. That the "big" vendors prices would be all inclusive. Even with their "discount". Oh well.

I bet you cannot wait to get your earrings. I am sure they will be gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing them on you. :love:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it depends on the price you spend?

Ask they policy if you get a chance, I would be curious.

BTW, we *always* pay the shipping and insurance ;)) The question is just whether it is included in the list price or itemized separately :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the BGD website:

We ship Fedex Priority Overnight complimentary within the 50 States. There is a $15 surcharge for Saturday delivery should the customer request it. All packages are shipped to a Fedex Station, hold for Pick up. You will be required to present picture ID to the Fedex agent before the package is released to you.
We ship Fedex Priority International to overseas locations. The cost of shipping/insurance will depend on the value of the package. You are responsible for all import duties/taxes - these rates can be acquired by calling your local Fedex agent.
APO Addresses - We are proud to ship to all APO addresses via USPS registered/insured mail at no additional charge.

I did not pay extra when I received my order.

I would sort this out - sure it's only $15 or so... but that's not what's listed on their website.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised too. I just purchased a loose stone from them and the shipping and insurance were included. Not sure why they're charging you for it.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys!

Missy- I won't be able to show these earrings here because I'm using "Lord Voldemort" stones, ie Those-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named! :shock: lol This is basically a semi expensive trial run to see if I like these earrings before I plop down mega $$$$ and then realize I don't love them. If I do love them, I'll buy the diamonds I'm considering and then I'll show those! :)

Dreamer- very true about the client paying for shipping in one way or another but I'm just a sucker for "free shipping"! :D And what discount?? I paid the website price. Though my sister did get a generous "PS discount" on her 2 carat BGD Blue. Maybe it's only for their stones..

I asked about their shipping policy and ill let you all know what I find out. You know, in thinking about this, the shipping/insurance could be to insure my "stones" - since I'm not buying from them! That's probably it but I'll find out and get this cleared up.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't want to seem a "vendor appologist" but on a lower ticket item, and especially only mounts, the profit margin is really low and paying for shipping as well would eat into it. Most of the PS jewelers make their money on the diamonds. But the policy should be reflected on the website if that is the case.

If it is only $15 then it is likely insurance for your Voldy stones.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331599475|3147280 said:
Well, I don't want to seem a "vendor appologist" but on a lower ticket item, and especially only mounts, the profit margin is really low and paying for shipping as well would eat into it. Most of the PS jewelers make their money on the diamonds. But the policy should be reflected on the website if that is the case.

Nope, you don't sound like a "vendor apologist" at all! :) I don't mind paying shipping- I was just a bit shocked because I assumed all the big guys paid shipping.

Re where vendors make their $, I was under the impression it was on their jewelry (the higher ticket items anyways) and not their stones. Yekutiel told me his price on a stone and what he'd sell it to me for and he was making almost nothing! I couldn't believe how little the mark up was..

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I'm starting to think its all over the place with vendors. Sometimes I've had to pay, and sometimes not. I guess for me it comes down to whatever their policy, I want to know upfront, so I can count it into the cost. There is nothing worse than thinking you know all the costs and then to be hit with even more.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1331601111|3147295 said:
You know, I'm starting to think its all over the place with vendors. Sometimes I've had to pay, and sometimes not. I guess for me it comes down to whatever their policy, I want to know upfront, so I can count it into the cost. There is nothing worse than thinking you know all the costs and then to be hit with even more.
I agree that unexpected or hidden costs suck big time! I don't think that's the case here though. I'm pretty certain I'm paying to cover the costs of my own stones. I've asked and when I find out I'll let you know. ::)

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LALove|1331599932|3147284 said:

Nope, you don't sound like a "vendor apologist" at all! :) I don't mind paying shipping- I was just a bit shocked because I assumed all the big guys paid shipping.

Re where vendors make their $, I was under the impression it was on their jewelry (the higher ticket items anyways) and not their stones. Yekutiel told me his price on a stone and what he'd sell it to me for and he was making almost nothing! I couldn't believe how little the mark up was..

It likely depends on the business model. I may be wrong, but ID do not own the diamonds they offer, they bring them in on spec I think, and in those cases the profit margin is tiny, can be as small as 1-2%, maybe higher, depends on the company I guess. On top of that, the mounts are all/mostly cast mounts from casting companies like Unique, and there is decent margins in that I bet. A company like BGD owns their diamonds and paid up front for them, and so likely have higher margins on the diamonds. In contast, many of their mounts are made in house for likely very high costs -- custom mounts are pricey. Anyways, different business models. I just know that both WF and BGD have some mounts they will only sell with one of their own diamonds, and that likely has to do with the profit margin issue.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
I paid shipping + insurance when I asked BGD to set a stone I sent them into a custom setting. I didn't pay shipping + insurance when I bought a BGD Blue in a BGD setting and a BGD band.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No matter how it is structured, the consumer pays for all the costs. Whether the seller lists shipping as a separate item or builds it into the selling price is a matter of marketing strategy. You can hide the shipping cost in an expensive item easily, but inexpensive items might seem way overpriced if shipping were included. It is disturbing when you find an exorbitant shipping fee tacked onto the price at the very end of a transaction where nothing about shipping to be added at the end pops up at the last second. I often just leave the website hanging on those kind of deals where a surprise of shipping has been hidden until the last moment. That kind of marketing strategy is annoying.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should not have to pay for shipping and insurance if you are buying something from BGD. It says they offer free shipping on their website.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Free Shipping" means that there is no visible charge for shipping. No one but the end-user is paying the cost and shipping is not free. Free Shipping makes dealing with a firm easy. There are no big or small surprises after the agreed amount is determined when shipping is "Included". Really, "Included" is a more correct term, but a smarter marketing term is "Free".

Every place advertising "Free Shipping" could just as easily say, "Shipping Included", but those places pushing "Free" would have a distinct marketing advantage with some consumers.......

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Agree with Mr. Atlas on the last comment. Don't know the legal ramifications of the term "free shipping", but it can't be cost effective for any business to give totally free shipping. They have to make up the cost somewhere. Just remember - "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Bryan Cavitt

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331591750|3147183 said:
Maybe it depends on the price you spend?

Ask they policy if you get a chance, I would be curious.

BTW, we *always* pay the shipping and insurance ;)) The question is just whether it is included in the list price or itemized separately :))

I've never "paid" for shipping. On all the lower priced items I've purchased from BN, I've waited until they had a free shipping offer and a sale/10% off or whatever. Everything else has been from vendors who don't add extra shipping charges...but they probably just factor that cost into their pricing of items....but I'd rather have it that way then find out after that another $50 would be added on for shipping/insurance. It's just extra details I don't like to deal with.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bcavitt|1331657757|3147687 said:
Agree with Mr. Atlas on the last comment. Don't know the legal ramifications of the term "free shipping", but it can't be cost effective for any business to give totally free shipping. They have to make up the cost somewhere. Just remember - "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Bryan Cavitt

We all know it's padded in the prices of the jewelry, true. The point is, there should be no additional charge on the invoice specifically for 'shipping.'

Hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted out, LALove. Good luck!

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock

Huh, I was under the impression that for the retailer, settings had much better profit margins than diamonds.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChrisES|1331661881|3147741 said:

Huh, I was under the impression that for the retailer, settings had much better profit margins than diamonds.

Likely depends on the setting, whether made in house or called in from a casting company, and also how the company plans to price its merchandise. Some companies charge less on mounts and more on diamonds, then buyers feel like they get a deal perhaps. But if the company were to sell the mount on its own at the "diamond + mount" price, then they would lose out/make a teensy profit. It is probably a very complex formula dependent on a lot of variable. I am just repeating things I have been told by vendors over the years, which may or may not be accurate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results