shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting an oec with a small budget

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone.I'm in the process of buying an oec stone and I have no idea on how to set it.
Initially my dh and I wanted to go the custom route,with a vintage inspired sapphire halo and a unplated wg split shank,but recently some things happened in our lives,and we no longer can afford that.
Right now,we can put together around 1500 at max for a setting (I *think* we might be able to push it up to around 1800,but I'm not sure),and while I can always reset in the future,I'm not sure I want to,nor I have any idea on when I will be eventually able to do that.I'm kind of over the whole thing,I just want a ring my husband love,I love and to be happy with,kwim?
So,the stone itself is 8,5mm.The main problem is that I want to keep my original wedding band,wich is a 18k yellow gold band,6mm wide.
It doesn't need to match perfectly,but I don't think a 2 mm shank solitaire will look good with it.
So,we were looking at solitaires,three stones (with baguettes or with gemstones sides..hubby likes rubies and sapphires,but think rubies would be better since I already have a sapphire ring..I'll let him decide anyway),or plain shank halos.I was also looking at vintage styles,but hubby is more particular than me,so it's more difficult to find something that he likes.
I came here because you people have a great knowledge when it comes to jewelry,so I thought I should ask :rodent:
Anyway,the main things we are looking for are
-under 1500 (or 1800 if we really,really LOVE the setting)
-18k yg (with white head if possible)
-no pave or too many small stones that can fall out (channel set is ok,and if the pave is protected enough is ok too..I don't know how to explain it,but my sapphire ring has a little pave that I never had troubles with,but the edges of the ring doesn't have any stones,it's just a row in the center,so it's protected)
-not too thin and delicate..it must stand against a very wide band (I think three stones with actual side stones are the exception,since the stones cover pretty much the whole front side of the ring)
I think that's all..
What do you think?How can I set it?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok i have a few suggestions that I think are well within budget.

1- check out settings at Dover Jewelry or other online antigue stores _many are well under 1k that would look great with an OEC.
2- Check out LOGR on ebay. They do custom work out of china and prices are extremely good. The quality won't be the same as WF or other PS vendors.
3 Have you check out daniel M on etsy or other etsy artisians? He is very inexpensive- though personally he would be my last option as I'm not a huge fan of his worth otherless it is a simple bezel....but others really like his designs. It is personal preference I guess. Regardless he could definitely do a setting for well under your budget.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
If you're interested in a vintage style setting, check out www.antiqueengagementrings.com -- they have lovely settings and can do them in gold instead of platinum (though you may want to check and see if they do yellow gold) to fit within your budget.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you girls!I'm checking the links!
I looked on ebay(my sapphire ring is from there),but I'm keeping that as last resource :cheeky:
I saw a three stone setting in budget on BGD that I really like,so I'm going to also show that to hubby 8)

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Do you think this one is a good "replica" of the cartier 1895?
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_44&products_id=10117&cType=ER
Because to me it looks quite good,and it's incredibly well priced!Right now we took it down to two options...either a replica of the cartier 1895 solitaire with pave,or a replica/inspired cartier 1895 three stones (hubby will decide if with rubies or sapphires sides).
I just love love love the sleek lines! :lickout:
I'm also debating with myself if I should get yellow gold or just stick with the white.
I don't mind mixing metals,in fact I wear a yg love bracelet and a white metal watch together every day;I also often wear my wg sapphire ring with my yellow band and I quite like it.
If we go with the three stone and we get rubies then I know I want the shank to be yellow,because I think rubies looks better in warmer metals,but with sapphires or the solitaire I just don't know..maybe I better stick to white?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that setting from ID. I think it's lovely and well priced.

I think that if you spend 700 on such a nice elegant setting you can always reset if you want something different without guilt. Instead of trying to make your budget work with custom right now, I'd go for something classic and elegant like that. Wear it for a while and see how you feel.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:

I think that if you spend 700 on such a nice elegant setting you can always reset if you want something different without guilt. Instead of trying to make your budget work with custom right now, I'd go for something classic and elegant like that. Wear it for a while and see how you feel.

Ditto this.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you girls :bigsmile: my husband likes this one better than the three stone,so cartier 1895 inspired it is :love: hubby also think I should stick to white gold (or platinum,depending on the price),but I'm not sure.
Do you know usually how long IDJ takes to answer to emails?I just mailed them,so I've not been waiting for long,but I'm going a little crazy :lol:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I like the one from IDJ as well. They're very good about responding to emails.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1329810539|3130670 said:

+1 :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you haven't heard from them, your email is lost. Just call, it's faster. :) Yekutiel usually answers emails very fast, unless cyberspace gobbled it up.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1329959008|3132073 said:
If you haven't heard from them, your email is lost. Just call, it's faster. :) Yekutiel usually answers emails very fast, unless cyberspace gobbled it up.
I've emailed them just a couple of hours ago,so it's still probably early for an answer..I'm just excited :lol: Also I don't know if I can call from here :confused:

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you iluvdiamonds2 ;))
I might try to call them in a few hours,if I don't get a reply...wish me luck with that,lol
I speak english worse than I write it :lol: especially on the phone.In person I'm fine,but the phone,OMG,it mess me up.I start to forget words and I make up new,unheard ones to make up for it :rolleyes: :lol:
I just hope that from here I can actually get the line! :errrr:

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Now that I think about it,I also have no idea when to call...here it's still early morning now,but I have no idea what time is it for them :errrr:

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Asu!
You're welcome. I guess you found something there? They have tons of settings! For EST, it's 4:10 pm there. So you might get someone unless they close at 4pm? Try calling them.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Hi iluvdiamonds2,thank you!I was referring to the setting I saw on IDJ though ;)) thank you anyway!
So,I've been in contact with IDJ.The setting I linked only taper to 3 mm in the widest point;they sent me the picture of a wider,BEAUTIFUL one,but it's too expensive :((
Listener.jpg

I found a good one on Adwar
http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/24024L/view
and the price is acceptable too (almost 1200),but I'm still waiting to know how wide it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results