shape
carat
color
clarity

Scared to clean my ring...what's the BEST and SAFEST method?

MrsDrP

Shiny_Rock
I know this may sound silly, but I haven't even received my e-ring yet and I am already worried about cleaning it!

I am somewhat OCD about certain things, and having a super shiny clean ring is one of them. I'm the type of person that will clean a ring every day if I knew it was safe.

My setting is rhodium plated white gold. I know the properties of gold and how it can be slowly scraped off over time. Will cleaning my ring with a tooth brush cause this to happen? Will a toothbrush harm the rhodium plating?

I have seen a lot of people using ultrasonic cleaners, but with this I am worried about it loosening one of the many pave diamonds in the setting.

I really value the opinions of all of you PSers. I googled this, but I got so many different answers and who knows how reliable they are.

What are the best cleaners? The safest ones for the ring itself and the ones that make it the most shiny :D

I have used Hagerty Jewel Clean for the last few years, and it works okay I think, but the container is horrible and the stuff leaks everywhere if you aren't careful.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Scared to clean my ring...what's the BEST and SAFEST met

MrsDrP|1323318481|3076797 said:
I know this may sound silly, but I haven't even received my e-ring yet and I am already worried about cleaning it!

I am somewhat OCD about certain things, and having a super shiny clean ring is one of them. I'm the type of person that will clean a ring every day if I knew it was safe.

My setting is rhodium plated white gold. I know the properties of gold and how it can be slowly scraped off over time. Will cleaning my ring with a tooth brush cause this to happen? Will a toothbrush harm the rhodium plating?

I have seen a lot of people using ultrasonic cleaners, but with this I am worried about it loosening one of the many pave diamonds in the setting.

I really value the opinions of all of you PSers. I googled this, but I got so many different answers and who knows how reliable they are.

What are the best cleaners? The safest ones for the ring itself and the ones that make it the most shiny :D

I have used Hagerty Jewel Clean for the last few years, and it works okay I think, but the container is horrible and the stuff leaks everywhere if you aren't careful.
buy a Jewel Jet steamer... ;))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am with Dancing Fire - Jewel Jets are great. I also bought a small pyrex bowl that I use for jewelry cleaner to soak my jewelry. I buy the pink stuff at Walmart or use diluted Windex and purified water.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

you can also use hot water, dishwashing liquid, and a baby toothbrush.

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock

PSrs use all sorts of stuff. I have read that several ladies on here use an Ultrasonic cleaner made by Sharper Image. They love it.

As for me, I have an ultrasonic cleaner made by GemOro.
I found out about GemOro because I Knew somebody who had a dentist for a father, and he cleaned all the gold crowns, etc. in one. It also doubles as a jewelery cleaner. He recommended it to me and I bought one. I know its commonly used in jewelry stores, etc. The Nordstrom near my house uses one in their jewlery department as well.

What I love about it is that not only is it an ultrasonic, but it has a heater that warms the water. It does a great job. I brush with a soft soft toothbrush halfway through cleaning to dislodge any 'gunk' if the jewelry is super dirty. Mine is the older model which is a tad noisy and not terribly pretty, but it gets the job done. The new ones are digital and probably much less commercial looking. I use the GemOro cleaning concentrate solution with it. Usually when people come to my house, they ask me to clean their rings for them in it. I get to see more diamonds, and they get a clean ring.

Its fun for me. :D :bigsmile:

Here is a link:
http://www.jewelrysupply.com/products/UL787.html

http://www.esslinger.com/gemoroultrasoniccleaningsolution-concentrategallon.aspx

I recommend purchasing a basket that holds the jewelry if it doesnt come with the unit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love my ultrasonic, but you really can't put pave pieces in it. I think if you soak it daily in the jewelry cleaner and rinse with hot water, you'll be fine. I definitely would not use a baby toothbrush often, but only on the center diamond if needed. As long as you take off the ring when cooking and while putting on make-up, lotion, etc., you will keep it pretty clean! Just never use cleanser with ammonia on white gold. I do like a squirt of Windex and hot water for my platinum, though. A good idea is to put it in the jar of jewelry cleaner when you take a shower in the morning and then once you're totally dressed and ready, rinse the ring and put it on!

I would make sure the Jewel Jet steamer is safe for your ring, but that is a great idea for occasional cleaning, too.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I have a white gold setting (prefer white gold over platinum) and I clean my engagement ring about every other day. I drop it in the solution for 3- 5 min and then rinse it with super hot water. Once a week I use my clarisonic brush (I know, kind of wasteful) to clean it after dipping it in the solution. The clarisonic brush is MUCH softer than a toothbrush as it's for your skin not for your teeth.

I used a regular toothbrush before on my other ring and it caused one of the pave diamond to fall out on the band. So I would advise against it if you have a pave setting. Use a really really soft brush.

I use this cleaner recommended by my appraiser:
http://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-Jewelry-Cleaner-Revitalizing-oz/dp/B000QA2IHC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1323480242&sr=8-7

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I dip it in jewelry cleaner (this purple stuff) and then use a soft tooth brush.

Spesh2011

Rough_Rock

I use Windex and hot water. :tongue: :tongue: :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results