shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose gold ring setting - which diamond?

klmrg

Rough_Rock
Hey guys! Looking for a e-ring for the missus who loves rose gold. For a similar price, which do you think would be the most impressive diamond for a rose gold setting?

1.8 K GIA Triple Excellent HCA 0.8
rbc_1.png
rbc_1_3.png

2.5 L (faint brown) GIA Triple Excellent HCA 2.4
rbc_2.png
rbc_2_0.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has she said that she is ok with an L (or a K)? I would probably not go down to an L unless she has said she is fine with the
tint. What are the numbers on the L? Can you get an idealscope image?

What does the setting look like? Do you have a link?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
klmrg|1484832192|4116505 said:
No idealscope unfortunately. Those are the only images available plus video which I can't link.

GIA report for the L: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5181053877

She really likes the looks of this: http://www.nataliemariebespoke.com/portfolio-101-signature-solitaire/... The diamond looks quite warm in this?

Well at least its the crown that is a little high...the pavilion is fine. It is a tad deep at 62.7. Yes, the color of the stone in that
ring does look rather tinted.

Are you buying the stone from the US or somewhere else?

Here is a well cut L...you can turn it sideways and see the tint in it...not faint brown though
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.56-carat-l-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1128873

Here is a stone that has very similar angles/depth/table to the L you are looking at
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.80-carat-l-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2404907

I guess the other theory is that you are only 1 off colorwise K to L so you might as well go for the size factor...??? K still better
cut (according to HCA scores).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go below J color in a modern round brilliant. But of those two, definitely the K.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I'd prefer a smaller stone with less tint. Do you know she is ok with stones which are not white looking.

klmrg

Rough_Rock
As long as it looks good in a rose gold ring, I think she'll love it. I think I'm pretty comfortable with getting a K. Saw a couple in store and face up, they looked white enough for me. The jeweller was wearing a 2 carat K SI2 set in white gold and I had no idea it was a K. Just looked like a hugely impressive massive shiny rock. I mean before learning about the 4c's, I didn't even know there were different tints of colour in diamonds and the only thing she's mentioned whenever she's seen friends' rings was "wow that's huge!" or "that looks smaller than X's" so we're really talking about unsophisticated consumers here haha. So ultimately, I think I'm solving for size and sparkle and something that complements a rose gold ring.

Also in a rose gold 6 prong solitaire setting, as long as it faces up bright, I'd imagine some of the body tint would be hidden by the setting or could be taken as reflections of the ring setting?

The question then would be, out of those two options, what would be more noticeable? The extra 0.7carat size with faint brown tint that I assume complements a rose gold setting better or slightly higher colour grade with better cut that might shine brighter and be more sparkly?

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I think the smaller stone will be more appealing to the eye. 1.8 is still a good size and will suit the delicate rose gold setting you posted.

klmrg

Rough_Rock
Rivendell|1484905784|4116835 said:
I think the smaller stone will be more appealing to the eye. 1.8 is still a good size and will suit the delicate rose gold setting you posted.

Thanks Rivendell! Yea I think I am leaning more towards the 1.8! 2.5 in an L might be too much haha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results