shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring sizing...should I have my ring sized down a smidge?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
My darling proposed to me over the weekend and I'm having trouble deciding if I like the size of my ring(the ring itself not the diamond) and wondering how you can tell if your ring is to big. He got me a beautiful .75 princess cut with two side diamonds on either side, I LOVE the ring itself, but I'm concerned that it might be sized a smidge big. Right now it's a 4.25 and when my hands are at all cold I cannot get it to stay upright on my ringer, it spins and flops all over the place. Even when my hands are a bit warmer, as they are at the moment, it goes on VERY easily and comes off with hardly any resistance at all, If I give it a good shake it slides just about up to my knuckle. It makes me a little nervous that when my hands are cold it might just slide off, but I'm also afraid that in the summer it might fit snuggly...

Has anyone had this experience and what did you do? I don't mind having a ring that is a little tighter, but I don't want to get it sized unnecessarily either...also if I had it sized to a 4 is there really that much difference between a 4.25 and a 4? I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 4...

Thank in advance!

atp223

Shiny_Rock
the first time I ever got my finger properly sized for a ring, I was told that I was a 4.5. I figured that a 4.25, since it would be slightly smaller, would fit me better. so I assumed that was my size. however, when we were figuring out the sizing for my e-ring, I had some rings that actually fit me well sized on a stick, and they were between 3.75 and 4. and the 4.5 was not as big on me as yours sounds (it just spins a little). so I would definitely have it sized down, but I would figure out your actual size first - it might be a lot smaller than what you think!

ETA: congrats on your engagement!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
If you are planning to wear it with a wedding band, don't size it up. Adding another ring will change the fit and make it more snug. I'd try on bands with it first before deciding.

And my rings are tight in the morning and almost falling off by the end of the day - hands fluctuate a lot. :)

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
your fingers will be smaller in the colder seasons, but don't forget that they will fit more tightly whenever you add a wedding band into the mix! my e-ring fit perfectly... until i added my wedding band!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
daintyG|1322010127|3067177 said:
your fingers will be smaller in the colder seasons, but don't forget that they will fit more tightly whenever you add a wedding band into the mix! my e-ring fit perfectly... until i added my wedding band!

I thought about that, but when I got home from work today my hands were on the cold side but not freezing so I did the "shake your hand around" test (on the bed so my ring would land on something soft, should it fly off) It took a little bit of shaking but it did eventually fly off...to me I think that means it's just a little to big....

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is too big and you don't want to risk losing it.
Two weeks ago, my favorite thumb ring (a platinum and 18K yellow gold band) flew off my hand on the first cold day and it is lost forever. Heartbroken. I should have put it on my pointer finger where it was snug. In the summer, it was my perfect thumb ring.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
mr snoopkat proposed in winter and my ring was spinning as my fingers got smaller from the cold. Now that we're coming into summer though, the ring is starting to feel more snug because my fingers get more swollen in the heat (i'm a 4.5).

the hand shaking test is good, but you should definitely try wearing your engagement ring with your wedding band/another ring. Don't forget if you're planning on getting an eternity ring, then your e ring will be even more snug,

I don't think .25 is going to make much of a difference in sizing, esp if your ring is as big as you say it is. Have you taken it to your jeweller to get their opinion?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
snoopkat|1322049436|3067563 said:
the hand shaking test is good, but you should definitely try wearing your engagement ring with your wedding band/another ring. Don't forget if you're planning on getting an eternity ring, then your e ring will be even more snug,

I don't think .25 is going to make much of a difference in sizing, esp if your ring is as big as you say it is. Have you taken it to your jeweller to get their opinion?

No I haven't talked to the jewller yet, I have tried wearing a ring behind it, not for very long, but for a while and it does make it a bit more snug but still not what I would like. I know that .25 is hardly any change, but I'm thinking that it might be enough when a wedding ring is added behind it.

I actually have a good friend who has a wedding set that is a 4. I tried her wedding set on in June, outside when it was in the upper 80's very very humid and it took just a little effort to get one and once on fit very well, so I guess that is part of my thinking in just going down .25.

Maybe I'll slide the ring I tried behind it back on today and see how it feels.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Do your fingers taper, or is your knuckle the widest point? If the knuckle is the widest point and you can shake your ring off, they are probably too big.

If your fingers taper, unless you get your rings REALLY snug, you will most likely always be able to shake them off. Also, adding a band makes them harder to shake off due to friction and other physics type things that I don't understand.

Personal example; due to a hand injury my ring size changed significantly. My set was previously a 6.25. I spent MONTHS agonizing over how much to re-size them, and drove many FB friends INSANE with the back and forth. I was terrified that I would pick the wrong size and have to send them back out again, which takes time and money. My fingers taper, which makes it more entertaining. The debate was similar to yours; 6.75 vs 7.

I settled on a size 7, and was still extremely nervous. I am currently wearing two rings, both size 7 that are the same widths as my set (they are out for sizing). When I wear just one of them, I can shake that puppy off no problem. This had me worried. :errrr: The MINUTE I added the second band - problem solved. Can I shake them off? At the end of the day, when my hands are freezing, yes. The rest of the time? Nope.

The shake test isn't all that great due to one simple fact; we don't walk around shaking our hands vigorously all day. :rodent: My husband had this comment, "Babe. How often do you walk around shaking your hands like a crazy person? Methinks it'll be okay."

peachy4397

Rough_Rock
I would just visit the jeweler and see what they think. It sounds loose, and you do not sound happy with the size (especially if it can fling off your finger).

As devil's advocate.... My fiance proposed this summer with a 4.75, and the ring fit perfectly. Now that it's winter, the ring slides and flops all around (even when I'm indoors). Had he proposed around this time of year, I definitely would have gotten it re-sized. But knowing how well it fits in the summer, I'm just going to deal with it until it gets warm again!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will find a ring's fit varies from day to day and for the warmth and cold of the seasons, as well. A compromise is usually all that can be made. Take a small bandaid and wrap just the stick part of one side three times inside the ring at the bottom of the shank. If the ring feels better, then a smaller size, possibly as little as 1/8 size less could amke the ring better right now. It sounds as if 1/4 size might also be possible. A good jeweler who has had years of experience will make the process easy to do and make it fit just right. Hope you can find someone local who will work on it personally and make it fit exactly. Using a chain store to send it away for repairs is likely a way less beneficial option.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big ditto - will you be wearing a band? If so the combination of rings will make both seem to fit more snugly, so I would definitely buy a cheapie band of about the thickness you're planning for your wedding band and wear them around together for a few days before sizing.

I wear anywhere from 3.75-4.25 depending on weather, what I've eaten, whether it's a full moon... all my rings are sized to 4.25, I prefer them to err loose over tight, and when my fingers are being unusually thin I wear a tiny rose gold size4 spacer on the outside (the colour blends into my skin and it's barely visible) just to be sure my Ering doesn't fly off. Works well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two personal rules are:

Never size in the winter...only size in the hottest part of summer when your fingers are biggest.

And never size until you are wearing the wedding band with it.

In the meanwhile, you can either have sizing beads put in it, or for a really inexpensive option, you can get these little ring sizer things from Claire's!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1322071396|3067760 said:
My two personal rules are:

Never size in the winter...only size in the hottest part of summer when your fingers are biggest.

And never size until you are wearing the wedding band with it.

In the meanwhile, you can either have sizing beads put in it, or for a really inexpensive option, you can get these little ring sizer things from Claire's!

Agreed.

And OP my finger fluctuates from 4.5 to about 6. I keep my rings at 5.5-5.75 so I can always wear them comfortably. Like you, my fingers taper. There is no knuckle to speak of. This works for me and even when they're loose they won't fall off. 1 ring alone at 5.75 would be a bit too big, but right now my wedding band is 5.5 and my ering is 5.75. I'm never in danger of losing them.

In your shoes I'd do sizing beads, personally.

amorebella2

Rough_Rock
I had a similar question too. My ring is sized to a 5, but I think I'm more of a 4.75 or even 4.5. The lovely ladies on here suggested I wait until I wear it with a wedding band before considering any resizing. Also, I find my ring fits more snug in the mornings, so I'm holding off until I get my wedding band and try it during the warmer summer months. If anything, I was going to consider sizing beads over resizing.

sofie

Rough_Rock
Don't size down, better wait for summer if you think it's too tight then you can size. Sizing down has been my downfall! Like the others said, wear it with a wedding band can change the whole perspective. Beads are a good option. You can easily remove them.

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like my ring when I first got it. It was a size 4.75 and when I shook my hand hard it would fly off. I got it sized down to a 4.5 and it still spins but won't fall off. However, I did this during the summer so I knew my fingers were at their largest. Also, I have pretty big knuckles so even if it's looser at the base it won't slide past. So, I would wait to size it and maybe get sizing beads for now so it doesn't fall off. My guess though is that you'll have to size down a 1/4.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it comes off from shaking then it is too big, even for the warmer weather. It should come off with some resistance, which it does not. My er was 4.5 when my DH proposed, and I had it sized immediately to 4.25 - big difference on the hand!! Now I even have a tiny sizing ball in the bottom to keep it upright.And, yes a band does push the ring up a tad, but I'm still OK and I stack 3 bands at a time with it! Based on your description I would definitely size down to a 4.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results