shape
carat
color
clarity

recutting a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I just saw one of the prettiest diamonds I have ever seen. It was a 3+ stone in a yellow gold man''s ring. It was this man''s grandfather''s ring, so obviously an older cut, but he said it isn''t a OMC. He didn''t have any specs on it, but it was a warm k-m kind of color with the most fire and colors I have ever seen. They didn''t flash as much as they were just constantly present. It looked like a completely different stone compared to my E colored H&A RB.

This got me wondering that if I took my K/L color 1.25ctw stone and had it recut, would I be able to get that king of terrific fire out of it. It is a nice stone, average cut, vvs clarity and average sparkle. Just kind of "off color" as a couple of jewelers have commented.

Does anyoe know if it is likely that I''d be able to turn it into a sparkler like that, as well as approximate weight loss to expect and cost to recut? I''m just looking for a rough idea on whether this would even be worth looking into.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he ! Love those oldies' fire
2.gif
No way anyone else but the cutter you contact for the job could tell you that.

What you seem to be after is a stone with lots of fire and whatever light return. The older stones like that would have tiny tables and very steep pavilions - completely "off" from the idea cut point of view. They were cut to look right under dim candle light - at least in the very beginning - so it did not make any sense to pursue white light return. This aesthetic philosophy remained true long after dim indoor lights disappeared.

It would be interesting to make up what cut proportions would just maximize fire and scintillation (I guess) despite any amount of loss in white light return
read.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ana!

My thinking is that with my slightly "off-color" stone, maybe recutting to maximize fire the way this one did would take it from an averagely nice stone to a stunner like this one was.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results