shape
carat
color
clarity

range of blue flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have a diamond with D color and the EGL certificate says it has a Distinct Blue Flourescence.

Where does this fall on a scale or flourescence?

I''ve seen terms strong blue, slight blue, etc.

Is there a scale out there..what would be the smallest flourscence and the most and where does my "Distinct Blue" fit in?

Thank you

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I think your "distinct blue" is at the very top. Probably very striking under black light!

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
I know that for the fluorescent scale for diamonds (GIA scale) it goes:

none
faint (least amount)
medium
strong
very strong (most amount)

I am not sure where "distinct blue" falls or why EGL uses that term. my guess would be around medium or strong? i'm not sure...

-ariana

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Thanks,

Perhaps someone else knows and has seen the rating of "distinct Blue" on an EGL certificate.

My stone looks very white, I have never seen it glow or shine blue inside or outside, regular light or sunlight.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I've never seen that particular notation- BUT- there are two different EGL's- EGL USA is located in NYC. Does the report say EGL USA on it? Or UGS- if it's the appraisal portion of an EGL USA report. I have not seen as many EGL NON USA reports.
IN any case, it sounds like a decription of stong blue flouresence in the diamond. This is not neccesarily a bad thing.
When I was learing to assort diamonds, back before electricity, -or the prevalence of stones with GIA reports.
Back then ( in the 1970's) stones were sold based on the color. cut and clarity- exactly what the GIA would prove today. Back then dealers would simply argue about the color and clarity. Today they find other things to argue about.
A stone that showed blue was called "premier" and was prized. As long as it was not dull.
Dull stones are worth very little.

An I3 is better than a VS which is dull- I remember seeing a 2.00 stone that was basically translucent (like an opal) for $100 per carat

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Hello David,

Thanks for the info. The report says EGL European. I do not see anywhere that USA is stated.

The stone is D, VVS1 and 1.2 carats. I want to sell it.

Today was the first time I went to sell the ring. I went to a jewelery store and brought my original EGL certificate and they didn't like the fact that it said Distinct Blue. I didn't know if this was a bad thing.

So that's why I posted the question. I didn't know what Distinct Blue really meant or just how blue it is in the rating system.

It doesn't not look blue at all.

Thanks
Doree

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Doree,
You'll find that EGL USA is preferred over European- but it's a moot point because either is going to bring less than a stone with a GIA report.

If the diamond is accurately graded, and well cut, it might make sense to go thru the time and expense of having it sent to GIA.

IF you have a qualified appraiser look at the stone, you would be in a better positiono to decide.

Meantime- what are the stats off the EGl report you have?

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Hello David,

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't know that I could have it looked at by another laboratory. And I didn't know that EGL wasn't respected.

The stats on my certificate by the European Gemological Laboratory are:

Lab report # 2000-017709-26
Date January 27, 2000

1.2 ct
round brillian
7.11 - 7.01 x 4.10 mm

total depth 58.1%
table width 62%
Crown height 12%
Pavilion Depth 44%
Girdle thin, faceted

polish good
symmetry very good
cutlet very small

Calrity VVS1
graining Nil
Color D
Fluorescense Distinct Blue

It is a solitary set in a simple 14K band. I would like to see this ring and just started today calling around to see what I could sell it for. I do not know who to trust and do not know anything about wholesale vs retail markets. I want to sell it, but do not need to liquated it quickly for cash. I don't want to get cheated and at the same time, I don't want to rip anyone off or be greedy.

I was told over the phone many things that seem to conflict. I was told diamond prices are up this year by 15%. I was told that the distinct blue was a turn off. That the depth and width was bad. I don't know if I should trust this. I thought that D and VVSI was a quality stone, especially with a certificate.

When this stone was purchased I felt good about it, but now I feel uncertain. Are these jewelers saying these things to me to get a "good deal", or was I sold an inferior stone.

I paid $ 12,400 for this stone at the Diamond Source and the retail insurance appraisal this same store gave me was about $18,000 set in the band.

So I have no idea what a good price to see it for would be. Any help and guidance is appreciated. Thank you,

Doree

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Doree,
It's not the EGL is not respected- the fact is EGL USA is arguably the lab following GIA. They may grade tougher than GIA- or not.
But they are so far behind GIA in terms of industry ( dealer to dealer) desirability, that when it comes to the higher grades, only GIA makes sense.

I'm sure your diamond is lovely.
It can not be termed ideal cut- or even extremely well cut. Again, I'm sure it's lovely.

You paid full retail for the diamond- and the hard truth is, it's probably not the type of stone which a GIA is going help.

Even GIA stones in the D-E/VS1 range do not bring $13K today if you find an aggessive internet merchant.

Yes, prices are up, still, if you can get half what you paid, it would be great- but I don't even see that as realistic.

Sorry for the bad news. I have not seen the diamond, so I could also be wrong.

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your input. I don't know much about thus business or who to trust, so I appreciate the time.

I used the ideal-scope and it came back 3.5. Also on the appraisal it says that it is a Class 1-B.

I'm going to take it and the EGL to some jewelry stores this weekend to see what they will offer.

The diamond is very brilliant and white rather than full of color.

Thank you

Doree

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
If you tell us what state you live in, maybe one of us knows who to go to. The drawback based on what you have shared so far will be depth a little shallow, and a little out of round. 7.11 X 7.01. Based on what you sent, look at the rap price and then multiply by the 1.2ct and then multiply .40 In other words 40% of Rap is what dealer will probably offer on that diamond. With a GIA cert and a 60% depth, you could be more like 40% back. If the stone is really pretty, it will bring more. If jewelers offer much less, keep shopping. That is a good stone for estate dealers as the color clarity lends more to older clients who do not know certs, nor cutting specs, and it will look great in an older plat mounting.
Good luck.

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thank you for the informative information. I plan to take the ring to a few places this weekend and I'll report back what I am offered.

So far, a local coin/jewlery dealer said they would pay me $4,400 on the spot without seeing the stone. I showed them the EGL report.

I live in Alameda, CA near San Francisco and would gladly take the ring to someone you might recommend.

I just read and learned about rap sheets from reading on this board. I have learned alot in just a few days. I didn't see a current sheet, just an example. So I'll look again.

I appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.

Doree

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results