shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Diamond Cut Evaluation Education

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
marylongslot|1415374561|3779162 said:
I came to learn more about Radiants and this title seemed so interesting.

It just seems like Rockdiamond and Radiantman are selectively presenting the virtues of these examples but hardly anything on their weaknesses or the reason why they are not as popular as other cuts.

It doesn't seem that anyonelse is providing any balance or critical interpretation of what they are presenting.
How do these compare to other types of cut cornered squares cut with different goals?

I don't see this thread as educational it seems more like promotional.

Agree on the "promotional" aspect of this thread. hard to find someone looking for a 5 or 4c radiant that would not educate themselves before spending $100k on a diamond. Just sayin....

David maybe you can add a $5,000 to what you spent and sell and move on. fine that you like this look David...lots of luck finding someone else willing to spend big bucks on it though. I'm sure you would like your original investment back. Hard though if anyone looking at these stones ends up reading this thread...I think you might have shot yourself in the foot hoping to sell these by promoting them in PS. Would think you would know better by now though.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1415541954|3780083 said:
About photography- my experience is based on my pictures and how I see the stone- and then how people react when they get the item.
If anyone wants to show other pictures of radiant cuts that they believe are better Id love to see them.
As Kenny already pointed out, my pictures are the best. But I'd love to see others.

Since you are asking I will oblige. Can't post ALL the pictures on this thread but go to:
www.goodoldgold.com
and select "radiant" cut and click on ALL the radiant cuts featured. Most have ASETS and some have Megascopes etc. LOTS of pictures of poor crushed ice radiants and good crushed ice radiants and exceptional light returning radiants.

There you go! Educate, educate, educate!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ariel
1) please post the photo that you consider the type of radiant that performs well. Posting a link to a site you like is of no use without showing specifics
2) the five carat stone we discussed does not belong to us. But I certialy wish it did. Tradespeople are not allowed to promote items they are selling- and my experience is that Ella does NOT let such things happen. By all means report any post you believe is self promotion

3) it is my understanding that trade members can not post their own videos- we do have over 1500 published on YouTube if you would like to post one.

I have not looked at the video you linked to but I have looked at videos made by other sellers that are quite PROMOTIOANL disguised as purely EDUCATIONAL.

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I watched the video and would be happy to provide my thoughts on each of the diamonds shown if it is permitted. However since the video shows diamonds that were offered for sale by a vendor, as well as the vendor's editorial/promotional commentary with which I may or may not agree, it is my understanding that I am not permitted to provide my thoughts.

I can say that the video does capture quite well some of the differences in how radiants cut differently can reflect light differently and I personally found it most useful to watch without the audio so I could focus on what I was seeing (and whether I personally liked it) rather than what I was hearing.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did take a look and from a purely photographic standpoint I don't feel the lighting in the tray gives an accurate portrayal of how diamonds look. The little holders are better IMO
Put a different way: I choose efferent compromises than whoever shot the video linked to.
Personally I prefer my results but as I've said so many times ANY photo or video is a compromise.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg|1416122205|3784529 said:
Rockdiamond|1416083824|3784272 said:
MelisendeDiamonds|1416075040|3784192 said:
Texas Leaguer|1416072895|3784181 said:
Red in ASET would not create a bowtie - it is bright light return

A diamond gathers and reflects light from the hemisphere above it. [\b]
ASET red means the diamonds is reflecting light(or gathers light) from somewhere in the region of 45 - 75 degrees, in that area of the crown.

If there is no bright light available in the angular range the diamond is tuned to return there will be no bright light return.

What does a diamond do with light coming from the hemisphere below or to the side of it? What if the diamond's table is not perpendicular to the light source?

Bryan- eliminating photos that accurately represent what I am seeing with my eye defeats the purpose of cut evaluation education.
It's not only Stan and I confirming that my photos are representative of how radiant cuts look in person- any other comment from members who have seen the diamonds I photograph indicate they are representative. Therefore they are important.
Actually part of my criticism of aset interpretation has to do with green and white and how facets producing these colors in aset perform in real life.
My photos show why.

re:t's not only Stan and I confirming that my photos are representative of how radiant cuts look in person- any other comment from members who have seen the diamonds I photograph indicate they are representative.

it is key point. there are 2 "contrary " way to See diamonds.
1) One is typical for Diamond Trade members and Grader persons
2) Second is "Consumer way" to see diamonds.

in first case :
Light source is typical Light environment to grade clarity, colour: Short distance between light source and diamond , diamond and observer. Observer uses loupe and one eye. So main light come from Girdle directions and even pavilion side, there are not light from ASET RED zone due huge head obscuration.
In Second case :
there is big distance between light source and diamond. Observer uses stereoscopic vision and do not use loupe.
distance between diamond and observer is much bigger, so there are many lights sources from ASET RED zone.

David photos show diamonds for Trade ( Grading) light environments, diamonds looks as for observer with loupe.

So misunderstanding in all discussions here are coming from different practices to see diamonds.

I see critical problems from 2 sides.
David does not use Lighting similar to Consumer Light environments to evaluate diamond beauty and take photos.
PS pro ASET society underestimate ASET limitations and do not see many reasons for such limitations.

there are not any chances for constructive dialog until you fixed its. Every side has to learn something.

BTW. any photo can not show diamond beauty. Photo may show only drawback's in diamond performance.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Radiantman|1415809268|3781998 said:
4. Interestingly, the GIA is considering (with my consent which I've given) changing its nomenclature to use the word "radiant" in place of "cut cornered square/rectangular brilliant" in order to be less confusing to consumers.

MelisendeDiamonds|1415821573|3782141 said:
To my knowledge that sounds highly implausible. In recent years, probably over a decade, GIA describes the outline shape and facet pattern in their nomenclature and they will never use patented or formerly patented names or trade preferred terms on grading reports. I find it highly unlikely they will make an exception to this practice they use for all fancy shapes for the Radiant.

Rockdiamond|1415834145|3782277 said:
HI Melisende- wow
Thank you for keeping it interesting.
So Stan is just making up discussions with GIA?

Sorry for the tongue in cheek attitude- but come on.
It's not only my long and rich personal relationship that gives me pause- it's Stan's standing professionally.
Which as a member of the trade, ( or someone who can use Google) you can easily check.

This is a copy/paste from an e-mail I received this afternoon from a manager at GIAL.

"Great to hear from you again and I apologize for the delay in response, however we are not planning any changes in our naming conventions. Have a great weekend and a Happy Thanksgiving."

I think if either of you are concerned about your standing professionally than you should choose your words more carefully when you speak about the intentions of GIA or its grading laboratory. The two of you can suggest to GIA anything you wish, having them adopt or "consider" your suggestion is quite another matter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results