shape
carat
color
clarity

Question

mizzalice

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me what the official name of the cut on the pink pear diamond located in the middle of the page at http://www.fancydiamonds.net/diamond_education/articles/type_i_and_type_ii_diamonds.htm is called? Is it simply a 'modified/mixed pear' or does it have another name? I've been searching for either a loose diamond with that little 'lozenge'-type bump at the peak of the pear or, at the bare minimum, a faceting chart for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm certainly no expert but, I would assume that the shape is greatly dependent on the rough, and the cutters desire to maximize it. Pears come in so many different shapes, short, fat, long , skinny, etc. it may just be a case of being patient to find what you are looking for. Have you spent time viewing the magnified images at JA? It's possible you may come across something, or were you looking for a colored diamond?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a similar shape produced with the Shape Selector tool that Pricescope has under the "TOOLS" header at the blue task bar above the threads and topics. You can print this photo out to better describe the shape you seem to like for a vendor to see and compare to stones in their inventory. I suggest you reduce the bulge a bit toward the pointed end to reproduce an even more similar outline to the pink stone. For sure, the retention of weight played a large part in the outline of the fancy pink you liked to. Also, the shape might have contributed to the stone getting a fany inense rating instead of just a fancy rating. Getting the color to deepen or intensify in the face up position often leads to some tricks in shaping the stone just right to make magic with the face up color.

pear.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results