shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on this ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an engagement ring and my girlfriend has pointed out that she likes this one in the Kay catalog. Is listed at 1 carat total weight and it is listed at $2,300. I now know that mall stores aren''t the way to go, I guess my question is how could I go about getting this setting (either online or possibly another B&M jeweler) and how much could it cost to get this ring with the same carat weight. Thanks for all the help.

questiononring1241212412354156.JPG

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea, maybe it is a setting especially made for Kay. I''d call them (kay) and ask who did that setting, purchase a loose stone, and see if that company will do it for you. Ive never seen that setting before, but others may have---we''ll see what they say.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about this setting. When you go with diamond sidestones you want to make sure you get a great quality of manufacturing so that the stones do not come loose (a huge headache!). You will probably not find the highest quality from a mall store although there can certainly be exceptions.

Are you sure this particular setting is what she wants or are the elements to it that she likes such as the princess sidestones? Unfortunatley it might be exclusive to that jeweler and I agree with you that mall stores are not the way to go for either the diamond or the setting. But I''m sure you can find something the same or very similar or maybe even better that would have the design elements that she likes.

I''d recommend looking at lots of pictures and pinpointing the check out pearlmans http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/designermain.php for some top designer settings. Also check out www.whiteflash.com and www.goodoldgold.com and view their galleries as well as settings.

Good luck! You can also search the eye candy thread on show me the ring forum - lots of people on pricescope have beautiful rings in all price ranges/styles and most are glad to share with you the details of their quests!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would send WF a pic of this setting and get a quote. But please stay away from Kay, their stuff is sub par and that''s putting it nicely. Good luck!!
1.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Kaleigh...beware of mall stores!!! If around $3K is your max, contact WF or GOG who will both work diligently to serve you and keep within your budget and give you a quality stone...just my 0.2 cents...
emembarrassed.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Here is one from Sun Jewelry, another poster just got one that was similair and was very pleased. .75 princess cut setting
horizonwholesale_1874_318423801%5B1%5D.jpg
The price with a .52 center stone is 2015$ but it can be purchased as a semi-mount.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I had a horrible experience with Kay Jewelers too, so I wouldn''t go there unless she absolutely had her heart set on this ring and you had no other alternatives.

I looked online too and the closest thing I could find was that first setting Ebree posted. If she wants just channel set princesses, then I think the setting from Blue Nile is an excellent choice. If she wants the swoopy prongs that the one from Kay is from, you may have trouble finding something like it.

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help, this forum has been amazingly helpful. She wants a setting that''s a little different than normal but nothing extreme, any suggestions?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Why don''t you show her what people have posted, and also look with her at the websites people have mentioned and see what she likes? Another place to check for settings with sidestones is http://www.signedpieces.com/about.cfm
Blue nile is a great place to browse as well, as it is very easy to navigate and they have a lot of nice settings. Most people here seem to recommend good old gold or whiteflash or wink jones as their preferred place to actually buy.
Again I warn you to be really careful of the manufacture quality of the setting with sidestones! It can be hard to tell yourself, you might want a good local jeweler to check anything you purchase online. I hvae had the experience myself of sidestones coming loose (channel set rounds) and it was very frustrating. Not to mention, if sidestones are set slightly crooked or if the stones themselves are not good it will end up looking cheap. Seems you get what you pay for most of the time if you shop smart, and a good setting with sidestones will not be cheap. So if you are on a tight budget for the ring I''d get the best stone you can in a simple solitaire and upgrade the setting later.
my 2 cents!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all of the advice given. You could have her take a look at the websites and pictures posted on this thread so far (some of them seem really close to the picture you showed), and you could e-mail Whiteflash with your picture to get a custom quote. Any of those options would be assured to be higher quality than what you''d get at Kay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results