shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for those who use Mr. Clean to clean ring

amorebella2

Rough_Rock
I've noticed a few people (and some trade people) while browsing through the "ring cleaning" topics who use Mr. Clean to clean their diamond rings. Can you all tell me what type of Mr. Clean product you use? I've seen Windex as a suggestion so I was trying to find the glass cleaner version. However, I could only find the Mr. Clean Multi-purpose version which was also antibacterial and lemon scented (lol). I'm afraid to use it yet unless someone can tell me this is fine. My ring is white gold so I made sure it did not have ammonia in it.

Also, for those who use Windex... I saw a non-ammonia generic version of it at the store and was almost going to buy it too. Would that give me the same result/be safe on my white gold ring as Windex on platinum rings? Thank you! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amorebella2|1321935952|3066595 said:
I've noticed a few people (and some trade people) while browsing through the "ring cleaning" topics who use Mr. Clean to clean their diamond rings. Can you all tell me what type of Mr. Clean product you use? I've seen Windex as a suggestion so I was trying to find the glass cleaner version. However, I could only find the Mr. Clean Multi-purpose version which was also antibacterial and lemon scented (lol). I'm afraid to use it yet unless someone can tell me this is fine. My ring is white gold so I made sure it did not have ammonia in it.

Also, for those who use Windex... I saw a non-ammonia generic version of it at the store and was almost going to buy it too. Would that give me the same result/be safe on my white gold ring as Windex on platinum rings? Thank you! :)

Two threads on here where tradespeople comment on the effects of ammonia & chlorine on alloys in gold -

ETA: here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/will-ammonia-hurt-white-gold.37024/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/will-ammonia-hurt-white-gold.37024/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/swimming-with-white-gold.59752/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/swimming-with-white-gold.59752/[/URL]

Long story short - a quick scrub and rinse won't do anything, but I wouldn't plan many overnight soaks for any of my gold pieces.

amorebella2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Yssie... I have read many times that ammonia is bad to use on gold, so I made sure to get a NON-ammonia product of Mr. Clean. I was just wondering if there was a specific product of Mr. Clean that people are supposed to use (since they have a rather large product line). Specifically if this yellow multi-purpose, anti-bacterial, lemon scented version I picked up would be okay. Thanks :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amorebella2|1321937492|3066604 said:
Thanks for the reply Yssie... I have read many times that ammonia is bad to use on gold, so I made sure to get a NON-ammonia product of Mr. Clean. I was just wondering if there was a specific product of Mr. Clean that people are supposed to use (since they have a rather large product line). Specifically if this yellow multi-purpose, anti-bacterial, lemon scented version I picked up would be okay. Thanks :)

Oh, I misread.

Truly, though, no relatively mild cleaning solutions are going to do any damage in a two minute soak and scrub routine, so whatever you've picked up will be fine (don't try the concentrated chlorine you put in your water tank or anything like that). It'll even smell good ;)) If you are going to soak overnight plain water will do the job - the piece will be submerged for more than long enough for dirt to dislodge/dissolve.

amorebella2

Rough_Rock
Yes, I think it is just new e-ring owner paranoia on my part ;-) I was only planning to do a soak for a few minutes at the most. Thanks for the reassurance :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results