shape
carat
color
clarity

question about prices for different shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
As y''all know I''ve fallen in LOVE with asschers after seeing them online. I still have not seen one in real life, which is why I sometimes start to second guess myself.

Anyway, BF and I can afford probably just under a 2 ct. asscher. (Probably 1.75-1.9 range)

My mom kept saying that I could get "more bang for my buck" with a RB. I know that RB''s face up much bigger than an asscher, but in doing a search of PS vendors for teh same specs that I''ve been looking for an asscher...they were all WAY above what a similar sized/color/clarity/cut asscher is.

Is that normal? I thought RBs in being the most popular/common cut would be less expensive, not more!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 11:56:10 AM
Author:lala2332
As y''all know I''ve fallen in LOVE with asschers after seeing them online. I still have not seen one in real life, which is why I sometimes start to second guess myself.

Anyway, BF and I can afford probably just under a 2 ct. asscher. (Probably 1.75-1.9 range)

My mom kept saying that I could get ''more bang for my buck'' with a RB. I know that RB''s face up much bigger than an asscher, but in doing a search of PS vendors for teh same specs that I''ve been looking for an asscher...they were all WAY above what a similar sized/color/clarity/cut asscher is.

Is that normal? I thought RBs in being the most popular/common cut would be less expensive, not more!
No, unfortunately, they''re not. Most fancies are less.

I think you should get to some jewelry stores that carry Asschers and have a look first. Yes, you''ll get more coverage with a round, but if you end up loving an Asscher enough, it may be worth it to sacrifice a bit of size. Size isn''t everything.
5.gif
(I may lose my membership by saying that!)
9.gif

Go have a look first, and see which it is your eyes love.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 12:54:31 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/8/2008 11:56:10 AM
Author:lala2332

My mom kept saying that I could get ''more bang for my buck'' with a RB. I know that RB''s face up much bigger than an asscher, but in doing a search of PS vendors for teh same specs that I''ve been looking for an asscher...they were all WAY above what a similar sized/color/clarity/cut asscher is.

No, unfortunately, they''re not. Most fancies are less.

I think you should get to some jewelry stores that carry Asschers and have a look first. Yes, you''ll get more coverage with a round, but if you end up loving an Asscher enough, it may be worth it to sacrifice a bit of size. Size isn''t everything.
5.gif
(I may lose my membership by saying that!)
9.gif

Go have a look first, and see which it is your eyes love.
2.gif
I agree with Ellen, I would go to a store just to see them.
1.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lala! Ellen and Skippy are giving you fantastic advice, as always. If you are a step cut girl, you will know as soon as you see them. It sounds to me like you are. And, if you are, no RB will ever satisfy you. Just like if you are not a step cut girl, the smaller spread of the Asscher will always bother you.

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lala,

Rounds are the benchmark in diamond pricing. It generally takes a larger piece of rough to cut the same "weight" from a round vs. a fancy.

For example a 1ct round measurements is 6.5mm, a 1ct Asscher would be 5.5mm+.

Fancies tend to run upwards of 15% to 30% less than rounds of the same grades and weights.

The "bang for the buck" should be figuring out the shape that makes you the happiest and then getting the best color/clarity combination with the best cut specs in the weight you want for the budget.

That is where your happiness in your diamond/ring will be!

Marty
CEO/Pres
DBS Diamonds
www.diamondsatcost.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results