shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about buying diamond earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jimmysixfingers

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I have a couple of novice questions about diamond earrings, which I would like to buy my wife for Christmas.

1. What''s a good carat size (i.e. not too overwhelming) for princess cut earrings? They don''t need to be oversized.

2. What are people''s thoughts on buying loose diamonds for these earrings v. buying already-set diamonds in a reputable brick and mortar store?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jimmy and welcome
35.gif
I am not an expert on Princess cuts but I will advise you where I can. I always think it is preferable to choose loose diamonds then the setting, this avoids the " get what you are given" with the pre set diamonds. However some vendors may have some nice preset earrings. Try the PS vendors at the top of the page. I think for size, a good carat weight to go for if you want them to be seen but not too large is .5 carat each ear, but it is a matter of personal preference as to the size your wife prefers - however .5 ct per ear is a lovely size IMO. Popular sizes seem to be between .25, .5 and 1 ct per ear. I would prefer to buy online and take time choosing my diamonds as I have done a few times before, however you might find it more convenient to buy from B&M if they have what you want. Best thing would be too look at the online vendors, compare the quality of their diamonds and setting to the B&M stock. Make the best cut you can get your priority, also with earrings a good clarity to go for might be SI1/ S12 in earrings, maybe a GH or I colour would look very white too. Some I1's too can be eyeclean if you look for them, great bargains for earrings and pendants as they don't normally get the closer scrutiny of a ring. Online vendors will go all out for you, be specific in your requirements if you decide to go this route - let them know your definition of eyeclean and exactly what you want and see what they can come up with. Also there are some lovely earring settings you can get nowadays. Hope this helps!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 10:34:14 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Jimmy and welcome
35.gif
I am not an expert on Princess cuts but I will advise you where I can. I always think it is preferable to choose loose diamonds then the setting, this avoids the '' get what you are given'' with the pre set diamonds. However some vendors may have some nice preset earrings. Try the PS vendors at the top of the page. I think for size, a good carat weight to go for if you want them to be seen but not too large is .5 carat each ear, but it is a matter of personal preference as to the size your wife prefers - however .5 ct per ear is a lovely size IMO. Popular sizes seem to be between .25, .5 and 1 ct per ear. I would prefer to buy online and take time choosing my diamonds as I have done a few times before, however you might find it more convenient to buy from B&M if they have what you want. Best thing would be too look at the online vendors, compare the quality of their diamonds and setting to the B&M stock. Make the best cut you can get your priority, also with earrings a good clarity to go for might be SI1/ S12 in earrings, maybe a GH or I colour would look very white too. Some I1''s too can be eyeclean if you look for them, great bargains for earrings and pendants as they don''t normally get the closer scrutiny of a ring. Online vendors will go all out for you, be specific in your requirements if you decide to go this route - let them know your definition of eyeclean and exactly what you want and see what they can come up with. Also there are some lovely earring settings you can get nowadays. Hope this helps!
great advice lorelei
2.gif

welcome jimmysixfingers!
35.gif

jimmysixfingers

Rough_Rock
Guys, thanks for the comments thus far.

When you say "buy online and take time in choosing the diamonds", what does that ential? Does it means having different diamonds sent for appraisal and viewings (i.e. numerous rounds of this) before finally deciding on a diamond?

Thanks again!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
jimmy,
i would suggest contacting a few vendors to see what they have available. in talking with them, you will get an idea of whether or not they have what you are looking for or are willing to help you find it. there should be no reason to have multiple diamonds sent for appraisals and viewings once you find a vendor you are comfortable working with. best of luck!

TechSales

Rough_Rock

What I did when I started looking for an e-ring (as I was such a novice) was educate myself on the 4c's. (I suggest http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/ring/ring.html) Then I went online and, with my budget in mind, I did some search's on stones (you could do it for the set earrings too) and got an idea of what i could afford. Then I went to a few jewelry stores and asked to see both loose diamonds and finished rings with the characteristics I was looking for. i.e. about .5 ct, H or I in color, VS1 to SI1 clarity, and a premium or higher cut.

This way I could see withmy own eyes if I what I was looking for online was an actuall "eye clean" stone as well has how it would sparkle, etc. etc. Doing this you can also see what the B&M stores prices were like vs. online as well as what the finished product might look like. Given no two stones are the same if they are within the same range of the 4 c's you can be pretty confident when you buy on line what will be delivered...

Hope this helps...

emteeth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results