shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess vs. Round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

punch

Rough_Rock
From speaking w/ my coworkers, I''ve learned that the appraised value of their diamond was more than what they pay for it. The range is 30-100%.

1) Is there a typical range?
2) Do certain cuts, princess vs. round, that appraise at a higher percentage than the sale price?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appraisal value has something to do with what % the insurance company pais in case of... and the initial price and GRADE of the stone,not shape. What something appraises for, depends alot on the purpose of appraisal: this should be something close to Price/(Replacement share of price pid by insurer in case of loss). Er... and they know it!

One thing is key: get a very detailed description (see GOG, goodoldgold.com for what this is) of the stone cited on the insurence papers. Why is this good: if the insurance comany offers the alternative to replace the stone rather than giverefund (common thing) they should be constraind by hard numbers and evidence to get something just as good. What this means? If you just say 1.1ct pricess, I, SI on the insurance contract, you could get a badly cut, ugly one, SI2 instead of SI1, with the inclusion highly visible instead of 'eye clean' as your stone might have been...The shape? Does not matter as long as you have a decent description of the cut and cut quality for insurance purposes.
10.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
All diamonds seem to appraise at well above their purchase price. Personally, I cannot recall hearing of one that did not. Inflated appraisals are one of the dirty little secrets of this industry.

As to "typical" results, it has far more to do with where you buy than what you buy. The people you know with 100%+ appraisal values probably bought their diamonds at the mall and got them with concurrent appraisal cards attesting to some ridiculous value that has no relation to the stone's true market value. Were they ever to try selling those diamonds, they would be in for a very rude shock.

Strictly speaking, your diamond is worth what you paid for it. You want the appraisal to be enough to insure the stone for an amount that allows you to replace it with an honestly equivalent diamond should you ever need to. That's really it.

punch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information folks. One more thing, why are round diamonds typically more expensive than the fancy cuts, given the same specifications?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Because, generally, they make the least efficient use of rough, which means that, on average, you will get a smaller round than if you cut, say, a princess. To get the same profit, the manufacturer has to charge more.

JC

Shiny_Rock
I bought my fiancee's engagement ring for a little over $3,700. Here is a description of what I purchased. This was back in March.

Three stone princess cut platinum setting.
Center stone - .71ct
Sidestones - .27ct each
Total carat weight - 1.25

Center stone
Measurements-5.06x4.86x3.49mm
.71ct
GIA graded
Depth-71.8%
Table-69%
Girdle-Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet-NONE
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Very GOOD
Clarity-VVS2
Color-D
Fluorescence-NONE
Comments-NONE
Key To Symbols-ClOUD

Sidestones were .54cttw non-certified D-E, VVS1-VVS2.

I paid a little over $3,700 total for all three stones as well as the platinum ring design. I don't know much about how diamonds should be appraised or even what the appropriate value would be according to the selling price. However, my engagement ring appraised for $7,750. So I wasn't complaining. I tried to copy and paste a picture of the ring design so that you all could see the finalized outcome. However, I was unsuccessful in my attempt. So unfortunately you all won't be able to see a picture of the ring. I wish that I could have showed you all, because it's beautiful.

appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results