shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Help for a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slomo007

Rough_Rock
I''m still in the learning mode but am to the point where I need to make a decision. I have finally narrowed it down to a E-G Color, VVS2-VS2 Clarity, ideal cut, 1 Carat princess cut diamond (likely from Blue Nile).

I still have a few questions though:

First, how does the above sound? Between color and clarity, which should I splurge on and which should I skimp on, or some combination of each. For example I could likely afford an E, VS2 as opposed to a G, VVS2. Or I could go somewhere in the middle and get a F, VS1. Any preferences when it comes to this?

Also, the part which still confuses me is regarding the girdle, depth, and table. I think I have read enough to determine that a medium girdle is good on a princess because too thin could lead to breaking and too thick could take away some brilliance, but just looking for some confirmation on this. Also, I know the basics that depth/table should not be too far apart and neither percentage should be extremely high or low (right?).

If I can narrow it down to a list of, say, 3 or 4, diamonds from Blue Nile''s inventory, could I post the links here and have someone more experienced than myself look them over?

BTW, this is the band it will be mounted in: http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5854&filter_id=1

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey slomo
35.gif

Date: 11/30/2005 7:51:19 PM
Author:slomo007

First, how does the above sound? Between color and clarity, which should I splurge on and which should I skimp on, or some combination of each. For example I could likely afford an E, VS2 as opposed to a G, VVS2. Or I could go somewhere in the middle and get a F, VS1. Any preferences when it comes to this?
i would look at g/si. there is no need to pay for what your eye can''t see. if you find an eye-clean si, it will be just as good as any vs.

Also, the part which still confuses me is regarding the girdle, depth, and table. I think I have read enough to determine that a medium girdle is good on a princess because too thin could lead to breaking and too thick could take away some brilliance, but just looking for some confirmation on this. Also, I know the basics that depth/table should not be too far apart and neither percentage should be extremely high or low (right?).
you are correct. an entirely thin girdle on a princess stone increases the risk for chipping but a thick girdle does not in itself mean a less brilliant stone. if the wearer is rough on jewelry a thick girdle may be the safest option.
as a general rule...yes, the depth and table should not be too far apart, nor extremely high or low. personally, i like tables in the mid-high 60''s and depth in the mid-low 70''s. crown height is also important. i would prefer over 10%

If I can narrow it down to a list of, say, 3 or 4, diamonds from Blue Nile''s inventory, could I post the links here and have someone more experienced than myself look them over?
sure but having idealscope images as well as actually stone images is very helpful when choosing diamonds site unseen. bn does not provide this service since they do not keep their stones in house.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
You could consider a G color (well cut stone will appear white face up) of VS2 or SI1 (eye clean) to save the most $ on color and clarity, and then go for a newly graded AGS stone which has the Ideal grade for light performance.

This latter grade may take away some of the angst surrounding just how the stone will look. However, in the final analysis, you need to see to appreciate the stone first hand.

slomo007

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your responses belle and diamond expert. I will now look for a G, VS1 or something in that arena (I would look for an SI but b/c I''m going through Blue Nile, I won''t be able to see before purchasing and I want to be SURE there are no visual defects).

Does BN sell the AGS stones? If they do, can you provide a link to one? I can''t seem to find them.

In case you''re curious why I''m persistent on BN, the reason is because the setting is non-negotiable.
2.gif

belle, your response about the girdle/depth/table/crown was extremely helpful - thanks for that.

I will try to narrow it down to a few diamonds and post the links.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the only one of those that i find remotely interesting is #1. the low crown heights and table/depth ratios on the others don''t strike my fancy.

picky

Rough_Rock
I just bought a 1.11 carat Blue Nile signature princess cut diamond. :) I bought an "F" color, Si1 clarity. I couldn''t see any inclusions at all, even with a loupe! Only when I took it to an appraiser and looked at it through a 30x microscope could I see the inclusion. Personally, i know a lot of people love "H" colors and lower, but I am extremely sensitive to color (yes I''ve tested this a LOT in person with actual diamonds), and I wouldn''t go lower than a "G". This comment may infuriate some people, but that''s my opinion. Especially with princesses because they just aren''t as brilliant as rounds, and i think this shows the color more. Just my .02. I would go DOWN on the clarity and up in color.

Actually I sent my first diamond back because the crown height was only around 9%, and while the diamond was very bright and white, I wasn''t seeing the fire I wanted. So i''m waiting on another sig princess with a 10.5% crown. Also, from what I''ve heard, it''s best to avoid princesses with depths much smaller than the table, to avoid light leakage. Funny thing about Blue Nile is, most of their sig princesses have depths in the 60''s and tables in the low 70''s.

slomo007

Rough_Rock
Thanks prisms, I think you convinced me to stick with a G. I was initially thinking F, so G is still a little more cost effective than what I was planning for.

What do you all think of this one? Option 5

I have taken all of the advice in this thread in to consideration and that is the closest I can get to matching everyone''s thoughts. Also, just for my own knowledge, regarding crown height: is it pretty much, the more the better? For example, is 13.2% (found on the one I just linked to) considered too much?

picky

Rough_Rock
I was actually looking at that very "G", 1-carat diamond at the beginning of this week.
2.gif
It looks pretty good to me. Blue Nile has tons of "G" VS stones. I went with the F, Si1 again however. I can''t answer the question about crown height because I''m such a noobie at this, sorry.

slomo007

Rough_Rock
I just bought it. Thanks for the help everyone. Hope you''re happy with yours prisms.
1.gif

slomo007

Rough_Rock
Setting

Let me know if I need to make any last minute changes to my order! I should have a day or so to change it if I made a mistake. No regrets yet though, I feel good about it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results