shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Opinions Please (ASET Included)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Well, I''ve been looking through the James Allen database for quite some time now and after several ASET images, I think I have found three that that look promising. One of the reasons I wanted to get the diamond from James Allen was because my SO fell in love with one of their three stone settings. All of these diamonds are within the .50 and .60 range and the cost is around a grand. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

1264460.jpg

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 5:08:34 PM
Author:XzyluM
Well, I''ve been looking through the James Allen database for quite some time now and after several ASET images, I think I have found three that that look promising. One of the reasons I wanted to get the diamond from James Allen was because my SO fell in love with one of their three stone settings. All of these diamonds are within the .50 and .60 range and the cost is around a grand. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

1270499.jpg

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 5:08:34 PM
Author:XzyluM

1253219.jpg

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
That''s the one I picked when I first seen them and the guy from James Allen also picked that one. Any idea what to make from the second diamond. He did say it was worth looking at further. I currently have all three getting inspected by their gemologist, so I''m hoping for the same results.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also prefer the faet patterning on the 3rd.

What setting are you planning to use? You will want to make sure that the sides are not too big, potentially detracting from your diamond, unless you want a more traditional three-stone look where the sides are 1/2 the ct weight of the center, which is a lovely look.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 a little more green and not that even color for the ASET and loupe image, so I am thinking that is due to the cut and not image taking error. Might not be noticeable in real life. I like the patterning though. So let''s see what the gemologist say? :p

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
I was originally going to either go with a solitaire or a solitaire with side stones and upgrade to a bigger stone, but I know she really loves this setting. I figured once I''m back working and everything is stable again, I could upgrade the center stone to perhaps a carat. I think it will be a lovely ring. I didn''t know if she would like it or not at first, so I showed it to her awhile back and the tears started, so I knew this was the one. She definitely won''t be expecting it since I was laid off and she thinks getting engaged is off at the moment, so hopefully she will be totally surprised. I was going to go with a stone from GOG or White Flash, but I figured since I was getting the setting from James Allen, I might as well get the stone from them as well if I could find one that was good. I probably went through 10-15 ASET images before I got the last two that were the best I had seen so far. Doesn''t hurt that there is a discount on their settings at the moment and the PS discount on the diamond was nice too. Let me know if you think the setting would take away from that diamond.

James Allen Setting

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 6:48:16 PM
Author: XzyluM
I was originally going to either go with a solitaire or a solitaire with side stones and upgrade to a bigger stone, but I know she really loves this setting. I figured once I'm back working and everything is stable again, I could upgrade the center stone to perhaps a carat. I think it will be a lovely ring. I didn't know if she would like it or not at first, so I showed it to her awhile back and the tears started, so I knew this was the one. She definitely won't be expecting it since I was laid off and she thinks getting engaged is off at the moment, so hopefully she will be totally surprised. I was going to go with a stone from GOG or White Flash, but I figured since I was getting the setting from James Allen, I might as well get the stone from them as well if I could find one that was good. I probably went through 10-15 ASET images before I got the last two that were the best I had seen so far. Doesn't hurt that there is a discount on their settings at the moment and the PS discount on the diamond was nice too. Let me know if you think the setting would take away from that diamond.

James Allen Setting
I think it will look great. The side stones are about .20ct each I would estimate and you are choosing a .60ct so it will have a more traditional three stone look with almost a 2:1 ratio center to sides.

My concern about that setting is that the band is rather thick, 3-4mm thick, and that might make the center stone look smaller with such a thick band. I wonder, would you consider a solitaire setting with diamond on the shank? A thinner shank closer to 2mm and no sidestones would make the center pop more I think and look bigger. The picture shows closer to a 1ct center in the setting. But you need to get what you gf loves. If she really wants a three-stone than it is the way to go. I wonder, though, would she cry at any ring you showed her?
2.gif

If you think you might want to upgrade later, something to consider is that with JA you must spend a certain amount more but with some others you do not need to spend a minimum amount.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
I never quite thought about that myself. But since you mentioned it, it''s something to consider. A few months ago, I was going through various settings just to get an idea of what she liked. Just from getting her opinion and reading her body language, I could tell she liked the solitaire setting the least, then the solitaire with side stones, and of course she cried she I showed her the three stone setting. She actually said it was her dream ring. So I''m kind of on the fence and hoping I can get all this right without taking away from the center stone. James Allen does have two pictures of that setting with two diamonds in the .60 range and as far as I could tell from the pictures,they looked good. I''m going to look through the settings on James Allen again and see if anything stands out. I actually wanted to get the biggest round brilliant within my budget and just have it set in a nice solitaire setting, but she was dead set on a princess cut. So I''ve tried to learn as much as I could about what she wanted rather than what I wanted to do. My head has certainly been spinning trying to get everything right. I could always have the original center stone used for a nice set of earrings or other jewelry if James Allen wouldn''t allow that stone to be upgraded, so I''m not too worried that. But I do want the ring to be nice and at the same time not take away from the center stone.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Here''s the same setting with a .62 center stone. Would it take away from the center stone too much?

0001234567.jpg

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
How does that compares, in stone size relationship, to the 3 stone ring she likes when you guys are shopping?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 6:20:16 PM
That''s the one I picked when I first seen them and the guy from James Allen also picked that one. Any idea what to make from the second diamond. He did say it was worth looking at further. I currently have all three getting inspected by their gemologist, so I''m hoping for the same results.
See what the gemologist says, I like the first or third best.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 3:50:35 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
How does that compares, in stone size relationship, to the 3 stone ring she likes when you guys are shopping?

Most of the rings she has seen were from places like Zales. There''s really not a whole lot of jewelry stores around with quality diamonds. Honestly, the center stone would be larger and the quality of the diamonds are definitely a lot better than the ones she has seen in stores.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean the stone size ratio of the 3 stone ring she saw in the mall vs. the JA setting?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA does have an upgrade policy, you just have to spend double. Given that you might like to upgrade to a ct. one day, I don't think this will be an issue for you anyways!

I think you have done a great job trying to find out what she really likes. And if that three stone from JA is her dream ring, then its important to respect that! I only wonder if she perhaps fell in love with a different ratio -- say with a 1ct center and the .20 sides, like in the example of JA website. The ring is lovely with a .60 like in the picture you posted, but the overall look is quite different. It creates more of an "overall bling" look rather than highlighting the center diamond. Personally, I think that your diamond will look bigger and more noticable in a setting like one of these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-3779.asp

And especially this one, my number one pick to make the center stone look awesome: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/2-2mm-0-54ctw-Common-Prong-Ring.html

I wonder, how do you feel about asking JA for pictures of the above 2 (if you even like them) with .60s in them, then perhaps comparing the three images? Or, if it won't spoil things too much, showing her all three and saying, which one looke nicest to you? I know if it were ME getting the ring, I would prefer th opportunity to look at the two or three options and say which I liked best. But maybe she or you wants a *complete* surprise?

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
The problem with most settings is she doesn''t really like the look of a round brilliant, not even with a princess center. I''ve attempted several times to get her to reconsider because I personally think round brilliants are beautiful. The first setting I ever showed her was very similar to the first one you posted. She did like that setting quite a lot. But that was until I showed her the three stone setting. Any idea how much it would possibly cost to have the three stone setting altered, but with the thickness being smaller? Since I was laid off and she isn''t expecting her ring any time soon, I figured now would be a perfect time to completely surprise her. I would prefer to keep it a surprise if possible, but if I was to start showing her settings again she would immediately know what I was up to.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that a three stone setting with smaller side stones and a thinner shank would be very nice. Perhaps with .15ct sides and a band no thicker than 3mm. You would have to ask JA. The setting that you posted is a stock setting from a mass producer, most likely, which keeps the cost down. So I am not sure that custom would be affordable.

I think the stock setting that she loves is very pretty, and with a gorgeous center diamond it would be a knock out, much nicer than anything you have looked at in person I am sure. She will love it, even if it is not identical to the picture she saw. How can she not??

You know, since funds are tight now (you are no the only one), I wonder if you have considered proposing with one of those lovely princess cuts you have been considering in a simple solitaire (~$200) and then after the emotional parts
2.gif
, you said something like "I love and and didn't want to wait to propose! We will choose your dream setting when I get a job again". It is thoughtful and she will be surprised, but you will not be risking $1000 when you maybe cannot afford it. Then she can really enjoy being engaged and can look forward to her dream setting later. Just a thought
1.gif
I know I was happy to get a ring, any ring, when I got engaged, and it did not matter that it was not my dream ring. My husband was also not rolling in dough when we got engaged.

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
I''m still waiting on the gemologist''s results from the diamonds. I''ve been browsing various sites for settings, but haven''t really came across anything. But I did put a lot of thought into what you said about the thickness. I''ve been considering other options and even though I want it to be a surprise, I think I''m going to ask her and explain everything and see what she says. What do you you think about this setting? I don''t think it would overpower the center stone as much. I''m thinking with .15 or .20 diamonds on either side it would look nicer than the thicker setting. Maybe I can get her to consider round diamonds in her setting.

Three Stone Pave Setting

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:58:11 PM
I''m still waiting on the gemologist''s results from the diamonds. I''ve been browsing various sites for settings, but haven''t really came across anything. But I did put a lot of thought into what you said about the thickness. I''ve been considering other options and even though I want it to be a surprise, I think I''m going to ask her and explain everything and see what she says. What do you you think about this setting? I don''t think it would overpower the center stone as much. I''m thinking with .15 or .20 diamonds on either side it would look nicer than the thicker setting. Maybe I can get her to consider round diamonds in her setting.

Three Stone Pave Setting
I love that setting! But it is more important that you gf loves it, and on that front I can''t really help you out much!

garek007

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:53:44 PM
Here''s the same setting with a .62 center stone. Would it take away from the center stone too much?

what designer designed this ring? and what is the setting called? where did you find it? I''d like to see more of these! I love it!

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:12:22 PM
Author: garek007
Date: 2/11/2010 10:53:44 PM

what designer designed this ring? and what is the setting called? where did you find it? I''d like to see more of these! I love it!

All of the settings that have been mentioned in this thread are stock settings that James Allen offers. There is a link to the actual setting in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results