shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of perfection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

irishman

Rough_Rock
Hi There,

My friends have called me a fool as I can buy a say G - I, VS1-I1 1.25 carat for the same price as a 0.8 E VVS1 of the same cut quality.

I had almost bought this stone because I thought it looked absolutely perfect:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5941/

However the price seemed a little high. Now I am regretting the decision as I have not found one that looks quite like it.

Now I am really wondering, it reasonable to expect someone to pay $6200 for a 0.8 carat stone?

Was this a reasonable price?

The quality of the cut looks excellent, the colour is near perfect and only one tiny blemish...I am not sure whether I should have tried to buy it...I have not seen another diamond that looks quite as perfect since that one.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price is also due to the colorless grade and high clarity, not just the cut precision and light performance.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For what it is-it''s fair. BUT you could drop the clarity a lot and never see a difference.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Define "perfection".

Using GIA scales: ultimately clear and colorless ranges, then you'll find D IF prices will yield much smaller sizes yet.

Everyone has an opinion--just keep asking and you'll see!
9.gif
Some folks are color sensitive, others would not pay for clarity, and another group require "mind" clean stones and narrow parameters in cut. Each to their own preference.

Howsoever your friends opinions on buying "size" might be truthful (but not the "fool" comment
1.gif
), what do you and your partner prefer? My "opinion" is that, it is the only thing that matters. Buy what you want!

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 9:26:36 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Define ''perfection''.

Using GIA scales: ultimately clear and colorless ranges, then you''ll find D IF prices will yield much smaller sizes yet.

Everyone has an opinion--just keep asking and you''ll see!
9.gif
Some folks are color sensitive, others would not pay for clarity, and another group require ''mind'' clean stones and narrow parameters in cut. Each to their own preference.

Howsoever your friends opinions on buying ''size'' might be truthful (but not the ''fool'' comment
1.gif
), what do you and your partner prefer? My ''opinion'' is that, it is the only thing that matters. Buy what you want!

cheers--Sharon
Wise words!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
You have good friends. Anyway, fret not. Your stone is probably just round the corner...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results