shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with your feedback on this stone!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
cokewithvanilla|1487720850|4131924 said:
Hello everyone, I am looking for some feedback on a diamond. I want an excellent cut, and I do not trust myself to analyze the images

1.3ct VVS1/G EEE... 1.0 on HCA

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2176787471

what do you think? There appears to be something wrong.

img_0300.gif
img_0301.jpg
img_0302_0.jpg
img_0303.jpg
img_0304_1.jpg

I think you are in all the good angles now CokeWV. Did they finally work with you?

cokewithvanilla

Rough_Rock
They are working with me to a point... they will either give me 'top dollar' if i buy something they import, or full price if i buy from the store. they havent provided any in store options, however.

What do you think of that stone? It does not look like it has the symmetry of those at BGD, JannPaul ,etc.

This is priced at 13.5k.. about twice the price of my current stone.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cokewithvanilla|1487726420|4131950 said:
They are working with me to a point... they will either give me 'top dollar' if i buy something they import, or full price if i buy from the store. they havent provided any in store options, however.

What do you think of that stone? It does not look like it has the symmetry of those at BGD, JannPaul ,etc.

They certainly have bumped you up in the clarity stakes with this stone. You will be paying for something you can't see without a loupe/microscope. It's certainly a decent stone. If they are selling this to you as being an ideal cut or super-ideal, it certainly ain't one of them though. So if you were to go with them how much out of pocket will you actually be?

Seeing as you mentioned BGD, there are these stones there which are in that carat range and will be cut to super idea proportions and symmetry:
1.327 I VS1 BG Signature: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.327-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104091837007

1.351 G VS1 Black by Brian Gavin: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.351-g-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104091837006

1.348 G VS1 Black by Brian Gavin: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.348-g-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104090535085

All of these stone listings have new brilliance and sparkle imagery with their new BGD photography set up so you can really see what they have to offer. Purely on the amount you are prepared to spend (excluding any trade in/upgrade things that SB are offering you), these BGD stones are better value for money in my books.

cokewithvanilla

Rough_Rock
i would likely pay something like 8500-9500 for the stone out of pocket, with my old stone as trade in.

That BGD 1.35 VS1/ G looks great . same price too... i think i might simply tell them the cut isnt good enough for the price.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You really need to get a firm answer on how much they will give you so you can move forward in the most cost effective and informed way.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree the price is not that great, considering I can get WF ACA 1.33 F VS1 for 13.5k.
The cut quality is decent, but not WF ACA or BGD Signature level.

It looks like you are doing an upgrade and stuck with the previous vendor.
It appears that your vendor has the upper hand; the vendor can price the stone however he wants.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cokewithvanilla|1487729681|4131964 said:
i would likely pay something like 8500-9500 for the stone out of pocket, with my old stone as trade in.

That BGD 1.35 VS1/ G looks great . same price too... i think i might simply tell them the cut isnt good enough for the price.

If you tell them that you've seen another stone that is cut better but it is a G VS1, I have a hunch that they will Try to BS you about the VVS1 clarity being a big deal for making the stone look better. Almost every chain B&M jeweller that I've talked to has tried to BS me with that fallacy of colour and clarity being more important than cut.

Remind me again: are you deadset on the colour needing to be a G?

cokewithvanilla

Rough_Rock
Not deadest on anything. Ultimately, I want something that looks beautiful. Perhaps I needn't spend 13k on a 1.3ct stone... I don't know. The more I read about bgd, the more I think there is no reason to buy elsewhere

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokewithvanilla|1487726420|4131950 said:

Not a H&A stone.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So that means then that you're expecting $4-5k as the trade in value which is not a lot.

The BGD 1.327 I VS1 is at the top end of your out of pocket range. And to my eyes it is cut exceptionally well based on the actual ASET image. No H&A image yet but I'm sure that if you asked them to do one, they'd be able to do so. Will you be able to tell the difference between G & I colours? Depends on your level of colour sensitivity. I'm gonna guess that you'll have difficulty telling the difference. Especially once it is set in an 18kt white gold or platinum setting. And 99.9% of people would not be able to tell the difference in diameters between a 1.327ct vs 1.351ct stone.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
As in the other thread, and with your comments in this one, it seems you are leaning more and more to wanting a super ideal cut, and that you are probbaly NOT going to get going with your current vendor.

My advice is the same:

-use your current out of pocket budget to get "in" to a good upgrade plan with a good vendor, sell your current stone for what you can get (which won't be lots) and put that money back in the kitty to upgrade again. You will have to plan this well! Don't overdo color/clarity that will be impossible to beat when you upgrade! IE- if you go through BG aim for H/I and SI plsu smaller than you eventually want so when you upgrade again then you can raise your specs easily! Start lower color/clarity/size than your final wish and work up from there.

example: I bought J SI1 earring studs from there a couple of years ago, love them, but knew I might want to upgrade size again if I could, so figured with J SI I have somewhere to move up to in the upgrade criteria.

-recut your current stone to resell (you will make more money this way on it, despite having to send it for recut) then put the entire out of pocket and recut money towards what you want all at once.

-recut your current stone, hope it make AGS000 and can have the option to be branded, then USE IT as the trade in for a new stone there.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
bmfang|1487741787|4132032 said:

So that means then that you're expecting $4-5k as the trade in value which is not a lot.

The BGD 1.327 I VS1 is at the top end of your out of pocket range. And to my eyes it is cut exceptionally well based on the actual ASET image. No H&A image yet but I'm sure that if you asked them to do one, they'd be able to do so. Will you be able to tell the difference between G & I colours? Depends on your level of colour sensitivity. I'm gonna guess that you'll have difficulty telling the difference. Especially once it is set in an 18kt white gold or platinum setting. And 99.9% of people would not be able to tell the difference in diameters between a 1.327ct vs 1.351ct stone.

I don't personally think the offer will be anywhere NEAR 4-5K on an possibly not so well cut EGL Israel stone that will have to go for a regrade at the minimun to GIA, recut and regrade is more likely. I think her out of pocket is going to be more like 9.5-10K or more with them.

I just has someone offer me a pittance on my old OEC that is NOT poorly cut when I know it is worth double what they offered on the secondary market alone, triple if I have the girdle abrasions polished and have it certed. I feel bad for people that don't know better. I just smiled and said "thanks, I'll think about that...."

cokewithvanilla

Rough_Rock
more and more i am leaning towards that direction. I even sent the current vendor im working with a BGD diamond as an example. In reply, they sent a 1.86ct 17,000 dollar stone that is AGS cert. Im pretty certain that no one is going to beat BGD with cut. I learned last night that Brian Gavin helped start Whiteflash.

I dont know why, but i am holding out hope that my vendor will run by a perfect stone and give me the full upgrade policy. I'm getting closer and closer to realize that this likely isnt the case. I also fear that my diamond will be inferior and not work out with BGD for recut...

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
bunnycat|1487774311|4132089 said:

I don't personally think the offer will be anywhere NEAR 4-5K on an possibly not so well cut EGL Israel stone that will have to go for a regrade at the minimun to GIA, recut and regrade is more likely. I think her out of pocket is going to be more like 9.5-10K or more with them.

bunnycat, I'm thinking the OP will get low balled by SB given that they have said they have been told that SB will pay them "top dollar" for the EGL Israel stone for a stone they bring in vs the full price against in-store inventory (and it is telling that SB have not provided any in-store inventory options).

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
bmfang|1487790656|4132257 said:
bunnycat|1487774311|4132089 said:

bunnycat, I'm thinking the OP will get low balled by SB given that they have said they have been told that SB will pay them "top dollar" for the EGL Israel stone for a stone they bring in vs the full price against in-store inventory (and it is telling that SB have not provided any in-store inventory options).

Absolutely. My guess offhand would be an offer of around $3K, maybe a bit more.

CokeWV- if you want to get a ball park figure of what you might get offered for your stone, take it to a local jeweler and see if they have a buyer who could tell you what a resller might offer for it....

For example- my 1.58 Old European (M/N stone, very nicely cut) I got a cash offer of $2500 at a jewelry store just for grins, when I know I could sell it myself on the secondhand market for more than that, and with a light girdle rehab, for probably more than double what the jewelry store offered. That's how bad they are probably going to lowball you because of course, they'll already have your cash and no reason to deal. It's like buying a new car, THEN taking your old car in and asking how much they'll pay for it.....

cokewithvanilla

Rough_Rock
ok I will take it into a shop. At the same time I will probably have the diamond removed from the setting. If SB doesnt come up with something in a few weeks, ill mail it to BGD and see what happens

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results