shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 3 stone CAD from BGD

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got off the phone from a lovely chat with Brian Gavin - what a great man! So personable and charming ... ah! :kiss: He has sent me an alternate CAD to the original (that was eliminated) and we talked about how this could be tweaked slightly.

I am looking for pro's / con's of the CAD drawing vs the original setting that I love, from the web. The ring is using my existing PR stones of .51/1.06/.52 and set in 95% plat/5% ruthenium. Will be a size 7.75.

This is the web link:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-platinum-5376p
to this photo:

This is the CAD:

Differences are split shank on CAD goes to prong on side stones; "tighter" setting than web photo (meaning the inner prongs are much closer to the centre stone); web photo shows each stone is more individual; web photo has a single shank meeting at gallery.

Spoke directly with Brian and he will see if it is possible to maintain the split shank/outer prong side stone corners of the CAD but also separate the side stones more from the centre stone, like the web photo. If that could be done, I think I like that idea... but I love the original one too! and I love the split shank... so....

PSer's, I turn to you for ideas!

BGD 3 stone RB in Plat.jpg

CAD from BGD 3-PR stone.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it!! I really like the closeness of yours, vs. the original, and the split shank reaching for the corners is brilliant :sun:

The only thing I might do is have them increase the tilt angle on the sidestones, or raise the center a tiny bit and lower the sides a tiny bit, to exaggerate the "tulip" shape of the head. In my experience those up-curved trellis shoulders tend to straighten out a bit in casting and polishing, so exaggerating the curve a bit in the CAD would ensure you keep the tulip-ness :)) This is the curve I mean - I couldn't get the dots right so it's over-exaggerated!

tulip.png

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I vote no split shank. I adore the trellis just as it is, but I really like Yssie suggestion of a curvier shoulder and slightly tilting the side stones. :love:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
How exciting, Enerchi!!! The CADs look great. I love the split shank! You are going to have a beautiful ring! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Yssie brings up a good point about exaggerating curves. They do seem to get lost a little bit during the actually process of making the ring, so exaggerating them might will help to ensure yogurt the fluids, curvy shank.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thbmok|1339722335|3216537 said:
I like your CAD more than the original!

Actually I do, to! I think the split shank looks like it belongs on this setting...it goes with the trellis. I think Yssie's slight alterations are good, too. But overall, I think it is better than the original and perfect for princess stones.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input! I am staring at both, flipping back and forth and going a bit blind!

I do like the split shank - it makes it more unique and I felt it had a more 'airy' flow to it. I do like Yssies suggestion of the flare or 'tulip' angle to the side stones. Originally I did not want too much of a droop, so was trying to minimize that angle. I am ok with the tilt of the original, which is the same angle here.

I am leaning to more of a separation between side and centre stones tho. I also think I might like to raise the centre a bit as well. As I also read Laila's post regarding her 3 stone, I am having similar thoughts so this is great that we are BOTH posting at the same time!!

Thank you for sharing ideas - keep 'em coming if something hits you again!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really looks great!! I would maybe separate the stones just a tiny bit more though.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Your CADs look much better than the original. The split shank (which I like) is what struck me the most. I agree with you, Enerchi, I'd raise the center stone also just to get some distinction between it and the side stones. Your new ring is going to be a beauty!!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great! I like the split shank!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you should raise your center stone more...it will look more like an e-ring IMO.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I love the split shank! I'm with you though that the stones should have a little more space between them. I like Yssie's suggestions too.

I can't wait to see the finished piece :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would raise the center more. Definitely. I might also space out the stones a little more.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the way the CAD meets the corners of the stones but I don't like the split shank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results