shape
carat
color
clarity

old mine cut vs august vintage

fosure

Rough_Rock
I purchased this http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5693/ diamond a few weeks ago and just feel like I might be making a bad choice on the diamond. I want the chunky facet look and something around 1 - 1.2 but under 7K. I have been researching more and that seems to be the reason I am having these thoughts. I have read plenty of praise on the August Vintage and just wonder how it would perform compared to the diamond I bought. Here is an example of what I have been looking at http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8047/ and this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7958/

Thoughts? Did I make a good choice, I just wonder why the diamond I did purchase was in their inventory for a few years until I just bought it? I have asked and they dont really give a reason. Please help put me at ease, either that my diamond is fine or to go a different route. Thanks.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I think the real question is whether you like the diamond you received. Does it look beautiful to your eyes? If not, you made a bad choice but if you like it but are generally comparing it to the other 2 I would say that the stats are different and the price point is different and every diamond looks different(I know because I own 3 diamonds and every one of them looks different and beautiful in its own way). So if you are still not convinced buy the August Vintage diamond you are looking at and inspect and compare it with the one you have and if you don't like the one you have now or the AVC send it back to GOG(Considering your current diamond can be returned and is within the return period).

fosure

Rough_Rock
I mean at times like sunny outside, it POPS then under moonlight it POPS, just in a normal indoor lighting it just doesnt have a lot of flash to it...normal? I prob am just second guessing myself because I do "like" the diamond. Any reason they would of had this diamond on hand for so long? They didnt say it was a return or trade up or anything like that.

I do know they are at different price points but in general pretty close and in my budget. Do you see it worth spending the extra for one of the others?

Thanks

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes diamonds just don't "click" with people. I suspect the one you bought may have sat there due to it's clarity - you pay for high clarity, and some people would rather put that money toward a bigger size. Also the ASET in that one shows a lot less red and more green than some other AVC's I've seen (including the 2, but especially, the I color you linked above).

I have an AVC as well - and due to the large facets there is a lot more "off and on" compared to my rb which is "always on" if that makes any sense. My AVC isn't a firehouse in all lighting either, but side by side my RB I can see more colorful flashes in the "on" facets.

That said, all diamonds have their own personalities, and it very well may be the 2 others you chose may look better to your eye. I like the I color one myself. Perhaps GOG can do a video for you? My gut feeling is if you are already thinking the G is too small, you won't be happy unless you get a bigger one (not that the G is small by any means!). Plus the I has fluorescence! :naughty:

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I've looked at that I diamond several times online :love: ...i think all of those diamonds look great but i haven't seen any of them in person. PP is right, what matters is how it looks to YOU. You should love it!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Is this diamond for you or someone else?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the photos the one you choose looks AMAZING! Those chunky facets make my heart skip a beat every time :)

If it looks good to you that's all that matters. However ideal cut diamonds (these are rounds mind you) sometimes tend to look WORSE in jewelery store lighting then the lesser quality diamonds that the stores carry. So every diamond is going to look one way or another in some types of lighting. Does it look beautiful to you most of the time in the type of lighting you'll usually be in? Jonathan does have videos of how the cushions look in certain types of lighting that may help compare if you need to. I do know that GOG wants you to be happy with whatever you bought, so if you do have any reservations and it's not what you want I"m sure they can find something that does make you happy.

Keep in mind though if you're going to change the stone you may want to do it soon. Prices have been increasing and will continue to increase :)

Do you have pics of the stone? From the pictures on the GOG listing it looks AMAZING and beautiful. But what really matters is what you think of it. Good luck!

E B

Ideal_Rock
fosure|1302202125|2890352 said:
It is for my hopefully soon to be fiance! :)

I asked because going from G to I or J is most likely going to be noticeable drop in color, which is something I'm hesitant to recommend to someone buying for someone else.

I watched one of the videos of your diamond and it looks nice- one of the best you'd find in any cushion pile. It's got GOGs lifetime guarantee policy which they give to really nice stones, and they know nice stones. But, if it isn't mind-clean enough, I agree to ask about a video. You're spending a lot of money, and you should be as happy as possible with it.

Did you see the 1 ct F, SI1 AVC at ~ $6k? I'd check to see if it's eye-clean if you want another great alternative.

Cy2009cy

Rough_Rock
I am newbie, Is the one you bought a old mine cut cushion? What' different between OMC and AVC?

fosure

Rough_Rock
Thank you EB, I think you have soothed my nerves. I do like the diamond and it is beautiful to look at. I was just worried maybe it didnt perform enough. But I think in my mind I am expecting something that doesn't exist, ecf even says that theirs is "off" at times. I think I am content with the purchase and am actually getting pretty excited about getting the ring complete now with a settnig. Thanks guys/gals!

fosure

Rough_Rock
cy2009 ... As I have been told the AVC is based on the Old Mine Cut. They created that cut because Old Mine cuts are hard to come by. Yes mine is a Old Mine Cut meaning chukier facets. Hope that helps as I am a newbie at all this aswell. I started off looking at round's then radiants then I saw a chunky facet cushion in person and fell in love with the cut of the diamond, best style of diamond in my opinion.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What type of setting are you going to put that beauty in? And I think the stone you choose is AMAZING and I wouldn't second guess yourself. You put yourself in great hands when you choose GOG, they deal with cushions all the time and the one you picked out is a winner :) Whenever you make a purchase that large and that meaningful everyone always second guesses their stone. (Just do a search, lots of people buy and then ask for reassurance. Women do the same thing with their wedding dress and need reassurance there too, they are both big and usually once in a life time buys for most people.)

Is GOG doing the setting for you? Or are you having something made by someone else?

Can't wait to see it! :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

fosure

Rough_Rock
well that is the golden question. I am all over the place with those decisions. I was leaning towards getting a custom piece done but if I get the setting through GOG I can save a little $$. I was thinking of Ritani BellaVita http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/989/in_collection/8 but having the band altered to have a more comfortable fit band similar to this http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/474/in_collection/3 then I get to thinking maybe I should just take the easy route and just go with the second link posted all together. I like the minimalist look of top of the ring on the first link. If I were to get on made it would be similar to this http://www.micropave.com/index.php/engagement/halo/811-solitaire.html

See I am all over the place.... I am about 70% sure about going with GOG and doing the custom piece (steven kirsch). Your thoughts on the Ritani pieces? Or spend the extra $$ and go with SK?

Cy2009cy

Rough_Rock
Thanks fosure :wink2:
I am so hesitated between OMC and AVC, I know What AVC exactly look from video, but never see a real OMC.
A vendor sent me some pictures of OMC, they look pretty smilier with AVC's, four big facet in the centre.
So I was wondering they are similar thing, and the OMC I was looking into has better price than AVC, and highter clarity level.

But I am confused again :confused:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The settings you've chosen are beautiful! Jonathan's bench has been doing some custom pieces lately so if you do want to go custom you may want to consider getting a quote from their bench as well (their bench does nice work). However I've heard some REALLY good things about Steven...and I'm more inclined to pick him over Ritani. The only reason being is that I would prefer something totally custom made for the same price as a designer and knowing it was made *just* for my stone and *just* for me and no one will have one like that (you can also add surprise stones like birthstones on the inner band to give it more of a personal touch custom, not sure if you can do that if you go with a designer). However GOG does carry Ritani and they make BEAUTIFUL settings and are great pieces. So it really all depends on what you want. If there's parts of some rings that you like but little things that you would change, I would go custom.

I can't wait to see what you picked!

(Just wondering...have you seen the french cut side stone pieces that have been coming out? If your looking for something that will accent the stone and give some more "bling" ...those DEF fit the bill!)

http://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=1&product_id=1265&Itemid=1

This is a round
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/[/URL]

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
fosure--I l :love: ve your stone, and I actually prefer it over the AVCs. What matters most is that you prefer it, though.

As for settings, I would let this stone be the main attraction, so I'd avoid halos. Of course, this is just MY opinion.

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the diamond you chose! Don't second guess yourself. I love the setting choices you have too, I think cushions in halos are my favorite. It's going to be a beautiful ring and she's going to be one lucky girl.

fosure

Rough_Rock
Vintagelover - When you say birth stones on the inner ring do you mean literally inside the bad where you can only see it when its off of the finger?

I am leaning more towards going with SK for the specific reason of it being totally hers, nothing like it. She deserves something very special....maybe not biggest but I am putting as much care and thought into this ring as I can. I am getting so excited that its getting closer and closer the longest weeks are going to be waiting for it once selected! :) Thank you all for the support and am pretty settled then on my diamond, just looked at when I got off work this afternoon. Thanks again and more thoughts welcome!

I wanted to keep a dainty look to the ring and thought having a halo would help the diamond seem bigger and from the others posted halo's look great, but do you really think it being on its own would work? I like this ring http://www.timelessluxury.net/cr-025.htmdo you think this would look good with my diamond? That ring is just amazing, only down side is that she really wants a wedding band and am afraid that one would not go with it. The one one I was looking at is something similar to thishttp://www.micropave.com/index.php/engagement/halo/811-solitaire.html I know these are really different but thats how out of wack I am on the rings.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
fixed links

I think either a split shank or a halo could look great with the beautiful diamond you selected.
http://www.micropave.com/index.php/engagement/halo/811-solitaire.html
http://www.timelessluxury.net/cr-025.htm

some people are fine wearing split shank rings with a wedding band but others prefer they stand alone...CharmyPoo has a gorgeous split shank ring made by LM and a beautiful Steven Kirsch band that sits flush with it.

what is your budget for the setting? something like this (either tapered or not tapered) could be nice too
http://www.micropave.com/index.php/engagement/green-tsavorite-ring-with-tapered-french-cut-diamond-layout.html

fosure

Rough_Rock
Well I don't really know, when I started out I was wanting to stick around $10k for the whole ring. Since I went with pretty good deal on the diamond I guess somewhere around $4-5K or less :) for the setting, Not including the wedding band if I decide to go with one. You have any other ideas on rings? The one you suggested seems to be pretty hefty? Not sure I like the diamonds like that on the band of the on you suggested. More ideas PLEASE! :)

Again thank you all!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think a thin (~2mm) thin bead-set (for comfort- didn't your gf find the prong set uncomfortable?) band would be a nice option. Like the Ritani Endless Love without halo, but I bet Steven Kirsch could do it just as well, and pairing a band with it would be easier.

http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/1101/in_collection/5

Oooooh...tiny french cuts, maybe?

http://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/...roduct_id=1470&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Has your girlfriend mentioned any liking any specific designs?

fosure

Rough_Rock
Yes the setting on the BellaVita Ritani http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/989/in_collection/8 was uncomfortable to her. Not sure what it is called, but it was the tiny prongs in between the diamonds of the band that made it poke her. I do very much like the tiny french cuts, something I haven't seen. What exactly are tiny french cuts and benefits?

We've gone and looked at local stores here in Austin, Tx. This is where she saw and liked the style of both Ritani's and preferred the one posted above the most. But then we got to looking online and I have been showing her the ones I have mentioned on here and she really likes everything. She says we pretty much are on the same page and is sure that "IF" she says yes she will love anything I get. So I kind of want to lead her one way and surprise her with something AWESOME! That is why I am leaning custom. We've discussed marriage, looked at rings so she knows it's coming sometime in the near future. I want something to be a complete surprise, if you understand. :) Keep the ideas flowing!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
fosure|1302229519|2890777 said:
Yes the setting on the BellaVita Ritani http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/989/in_collection/8 was uncomfortable to her. Not sure what it is called, but it was the tiny prongs in between the diamonds of the band that made it poke her. I do very much like the tiny french cuts, something I haven't seen. What exactly are tiny french cuts and benefits?

We've gone and looked at local stores here in Austin, Tx. This is where she saw and liked the style of both Ritani's and preferred the one posted above the most. But then we got to looking online and I have been showing her the ones I have mentioned on here and she really likes everything. She says we pretty much are on the same page and is sure that "IF" she says yes she will love anything I get. So I kind of want to lead her one way and surprise her with something AWESOME! That is why I am leaning custom. We've discussed marriage, looked at rings so she knows it's coming sometime in the near future. I want something to be a complete surprise, if you understand. :) Keep the ideas flowing!

I think the french cuts are unique and complement the antique cushion well, but any of those settings would be gorgeous! I would advise against a band less than 2 mm for durability issues.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your gf has tired on settings and you have an idea of what she likes I really think custom is the way to go. You KNOW she likes the Ritani and since you've know her tastes so well I think she would LOVE a custom setting that you designed just for her :) Here is what I was referring to as the "surprise" birthstones
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sing-sweet-nightingale.146067/#post-2659298?hilit=surprise%20birthstones#p2659298']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sing-sweet-nightingale.146067/#post-2659298?hilit=surprise%20birthstones#p2659298[/URL]

There was a french cut halo ring on Leons site but the picture isn't very well. French cut side stones are amazing and would give it a flavor that is hardly seen on PS (there are maybe 5 rings or so on here with them) and highly unlikely something she'll see in person unless she's at an antique store again. You could still do a small halo if you wanted to add "coverage" but I really do think an amazing french cut side stones with a matching band (or 2 bands on both sides :naughty: ) with french cuts would be awesome too. That's just ME though, this is for YOU and for HER. I just love a chunky cushion with those yummy french stones! And as much as I love halos when I first saw them on PS a few years ago they were just starting to become popular and you didn't see them at the store or in the magazines. However now they are main stream and are every where and not as "unique" to me (but that's not saying they aren't beautiful). In all truth though halo styles have been around for years and if that's what she wants (and it will look great!) then go for it.

Can't' wait to hear and see the final product! I have heard the price of melee has increased by 50% over the last few months so if you're going custom just a heads up.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cy2009cy|1302206795|2890417 said:
Thanks fosure :wink2:
I am so hesitated between OMC and AVC, I know What AVC exactly look from video, but never see a real OMC.
A vendor sent me some pictures of OMC, they look pretty smilier with AVC's, four big facet in the centre.
So I was wondering they are similar thing, and the OMC I was looking into has better price than AVC, and highter clarity level.

But I am confused again :confused:

Greetings. CY ... just to expound a bit.

All OMB's including AVC and generics have facet structures which are the same. I could publish photography that would make them look identical.

Where they differ is in their optics.

In the realm of diamonds and diamond cutting the goal is to

a. Cut whatever facet strucutre that facility does (round, princess, cushion, omb, etc.) and
b. To conserve the most weight possible from the rough, maximizing the material and in every way possible getting the heaviest diamond possible.

In this world finding diamonds with what I would consider good light performance is like finding a needle in a haystack and you'll hear me say this in my videos when I shoot these. fosure has one of these needles.

As you have noted AVC's are different and have a consistency in their appearance. That is because they are cut with an entirely different philosophy and way of thinking. Mine in particular based on my years of experience working in this arena of diamond optics and the tools used to inspect this criteria. 8-)

Like other cutting facilities there is a definite facet structure but unlike 99.9% of other cutting facilities I am not cutting to maximize weight. I am cutting for a very specific geometry and cut as much rough material away from the original to attain that optical symmetry & geometry. To give you an idea we recently recut a 2.53ct generic OMB and it resulted in a 2.02ct AVC. Each facet set must be cut within certain angle tolerances that will produce a given optic in most lighting scenarios that is predictable.

Pertaining to your question particularly ... In pictures they can look very similar to generic OMC's as they share the same facet structure. When it comes to real world observation though, to compare a generic OMB/OMC to an AVC the comparison will change everytime because of the unpredictability of optics in diamonds cut for weight. The many videos I have published showing these comparisons will give you an idea of the plethora of optics you can see in generic vintage cushions. They range from watery crushed ice, to stones with good brightness/fire down the crown facets and watery/dead under the table, to good brightness and fire throughout. What does make AVC's different is I have not seen one generic OMB that is the same as an AVC.

Hope that helps.

Kindest regards,

Cy2009cy

Rough_Rock
Rhino, thanks for your input. Can you send me a video link of comparison of OMC and AVC?
Is AVC also named signature chunky cushion in GOG? There are just too many names, sometimes I can't figure out which is which

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Cy,

It is against forum policies for me to link you to my own videos. :loopy:

Before we named these diamonds we did refer to them as our signature chunkies. If you drop us an email I can link you to videos showing the varieties of appearance found in generic vintage cushions.

Kind regards,

fosure

Rough_Rock
Alright almost having a breakdown on which setting to go with. I am pretty sure I am going with a Harry Winston inspired custom ring to be made by Steven Kirsch. I just decide on all the details I may want. I am def going with the small birth stones on the inner band of the setting. I am having a tough decision on to do the claw type prongs or just a single prong. Thoughts? also any other details I need to get together before I send it all to SK? I dont know what all is needed to do this, I just want to make sure all my ducks are lined up. Also GOG can make custom pieces, thoughts? any experience out there using them for custom setting? Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results