shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh lord... an eternity band question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, I am a total psycho. I became engaged in April and had chosen a beautiful shared prong eternity setting. So I''m in the jeweler''s showroom today (Quest Jewelers) for a ring inspection and to discuss wedding bands. I try on an eternity band they had in the case to get an idea of what my wedding band will look like with my engagement ring. Then I notice that the band I''m trying on looks like a "U-prong" sort of style -- the sides of the diamonds are nearly completely exposed. I was totally jealous because I feel like the setting lets in more light and the diamonds sparkle even more than mine. So I leave and I call my fiance to discuss... and if the quote I get back is reasonable I''m considering changing my setting to the one I saw. I''ve done some searching, but can''t find anything similiar on pricescope.

So my question is, does anyone know of or have any photos of eternity bands where the diamonds are exposes on the side, the metal prongs being in a U-shape? I am in love
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a picture ecf took on a visit to pearlmans

DSC05417DanielKasscheruternityprofile.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that e-band is amazing. I love the "u" setting.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh it truly is gorgeous... my diamonds are the same quality as the one in the u-prong band, and my diamonds sparkle like mad... but the ones in this band, WOW. Mine is a typical shared prong setting with the sides being covered in platinum, with only the girdles exposed. I tried on this wedding band and got serious jewelry envy. They inspected my ring today and are keeping it to reshape the band (its a little warped from every day wear) and I was thinking since they have to reset my stones anyway after reshaping the band... why not just reset them in a different setting?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

By the way Quest is wonderful... reshaping my ring is considered "maintenance" and they do all of the work for free, even though the warping is my fault. Gotta love their warranty...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I have an antique u-setting type ring- where each stone is in it''s own little u-shaped basket setting and then each basket is mounted onto 2 thin rings. It''s definitely a little different and not something you see everyday.

I believe Jessica Simpson''s wedding band had a u-setting eternity band.

wedding band 06.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2006 3:24:12 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
Ugh it truly is gorgeous... my diamonds are the same quality as the one in the u-prong band, and my diamonds sparkle like mad... but the ones in this band, WOW. Mine is a typical shared prong setting with the sides being covered in platinum, with only the girdles exposed. I tried on this wedding band and got serious jewelry envy. They inspected my ring today and are keeping it to reshape the band (its a little warped from every day wear) and I was thinking since they have to reset my stones anyway after reshaping the band... why not just reset them in a different setting?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

By the way Quest is wonderful... reshaping my ring is considered ''maintenance'' and they do all of the work for free, even though the warping is my fault. Gotta love their warranty...
Nah, the reshaping is not your "fault", it is because they are using 95% platinum which is soft. A jeweler told me that old platinum holds up much better than today''s because it was harder. It was 90% platinum and 10% iridium, same as Mark Morrell uses. So if I were you and were going to have my rings remade, I''d insist on 90% plat/10% iridium. The 95% is used a lot because it is faster to work with since it is softer.

I do love the picture Mrssalvo posted, but do remember that the diamond is reflecting light that enters from the top. So having a more open setting won''t necessariy make your diamonds look any brighter. But by all means get what looks prettiest to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results