• 1. Re-do

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • 2. It's beautiful as-is

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
Like others, I searched for the perfect setting for months and months. I finally had an idea of what I wanted after spending hours on PS, thank you all for sharing. The setting was handmade, it has a couple of minor imperfections which I can live with as it is truly a beautiful piece. It is just not exactly what I had in mind. I acknowledge that the ultimate decision is mine; however, I would like to solicit honest opinions.

The inspiration setting I believe is by LM. It is his signature dainty halo (two rows)but w/ a split shank rather than single. The final piece, again is beautiful; however, the two rows are in a "slope" making the halo appear wider and overwhelming the stone IMO rather than accentuate it. The second row on the LM piece is more "rounded" and almost tucked under. (My apologies for the improper terms).

Again, I believe it is a beautiful piece and I REALLY like it but I don't LOVE it. The jeweler has offered to redo the halo; however, I am a bit apprehensive as I am afraid the end product would once again not be THE ONE. The jeweler is a trusted one for decades but in hindsight, I wish we would have contacted LM instead :((

I thank you all in advance...

2012-04-26 17.30.48.jpg

Attachments

• ThinBezelProng.bmp
    359.6 KB · Views: 1,007

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I voted it's beautiful, but it doesn't matter. The title of your post says it all: Not Loving my Setting. Doesn't matter what the poll says, if you don't love it, and you're potentially wearing it every day, then sounds like a trade or a re-do is in order.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think the halo overwhelms the diamond. You have a nice big center stone. You get more finger coverage with your current setting.

It wouldn't surprise me if changing the halo to something that has the second row more vertical than it is now will raise the height of your ring. That may or may not be a concern for you. Just mentioning the possibility.

I'm not voting because I don't have an opinion. It's your ring and you need to love it.

liz

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
I acknowledge that it is ultimately my decision and although the title may say it all, I do appreciate everyone's opinion. It's times like this I wish I had a mother or a sister to give their two cents but I don't. As for friends, most are impartial. :???:

Answering the poll is not a must, but I really would love your thoughts.... Thanks!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you don't love it so it's not something you should settle on.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SecondTimeAround|1337788638|3201665 said:
Again, I believe it is a beautiful piece and I REALLY like it but I don't LOVE it. The jeweler has offered to redo the halo; however, I am a bit apprehensive as I am afraid the end product would once again not be THE ONE. The jeweler is a trusted one for decades but in hindsight, I wish we would have contacted LM instead :((

OK - I voted "It's Beautiful As-Is" - I do think it is beautiful as is - and you say you believe it is a beautiful piece and that you *really* like it - and honestly I don't think a re-do by your current vendor would result in the ring you envisioned (if he could have done it, he would have done it the first time around). If you honestly regard your ring as beautiful, I think in a short time the disconnect your brain sees between your inspiration ring and the ring you actually have will fade away and you will look down in the not-too-distant future and realize you love your ring.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1337790197|3201696 said:
I think you don't love it so it's not something you should settle on.

+1

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a side/profile view of that LM ring?

I ask because I suspect your stone may not be as deep as the one in the LM picture, so there may not be enough depth to achieve the same angled halo to make it feel tucked under. In the LM photo, it looks to me like the left shank may be curving up to meet the halo, suggesting the stone might be deeper.

ETA: It also appears that the melee in your ring are too big to create the same proportional look. Do you know how big the stone is in the LM version? He commonly works with honking stones, so if his version has a 4 ct stone with .007 melee and you have a 1.5 ct stone with .007 melee, the proportions won't look the same.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most jewelers are not capable of producing the kind of pave that Leon does. I don't think it's fair to expect a jeweler to produce this kind of work unless you have seen them do examples of it before. Did the jeweler guarantee in writing that they could reproduce this look? If so, I would have a written agreement to give them another try or get a refund and walk away.

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
aljdewey|1337793370|3201736 said:

I ask because I suspect your stone may not be as deep as the one in the LM picture, so there may not be enough depth to achieve the same angled halo to make it feel tucked under. In the LM photo, it looks to me like the left shank may be curving up to meet the halo, suggesting the stone might be deeper.

Hi aljdewey. I could not find a better image to showcase the side view. This one is the best I could find. Perhaps you are right, my stone may not have the depth. Although after communicating with the jeweler, it may have been a sheer misunderstanding.

Here's another photo. If it's not allowed, please delete...

r4430_4d5b1d3a7efbd.jpg

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
LibbyLA|1337789164|3201676 said:
I don't think the halo overwhelms the diamond. You have a nice big center stone. You get more finger coverage with your current setting.

It wouldn't surprise me if changing the halo to something that has the second row more vertical than it is now will raise the height of your ring. That may or may not be a concern for you. Just mentioning the possibility.

I'm not voting because I don't have an opinion. It's your ring and you need to love it.

liz

You're right, it may raise the height of the ring, which I prefer lower profile. I do love the finger coverage of my sausage fingers! The reason why I was drawn to the other as it seems a bit more simplistic and classic. I don't know, I'm just so torn but I am also afraid that the re-do will not be satisfactory.

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock

ETA: It also appears that the melee in your ring are too big to create the same proportional look. Do you know how big the stone is in the LM version? He commonly works with honking stones, so if his version has a 4 ct stone with .007 melee and you have a 1.5 ct stone with .007 melee, the proportions won't look the same.

The LM is 6 ct and my stone is 3.92. Not quite sure what size melee, I do not have the paperwork with me. I understand what you mean about the proportions; however, I have seen a few PSer in LM settings w/ lesser ct. and they are just as beautiful.

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1337793718|3201741 said:
Most jewelers are not capable of producing the kind of pave that Leon does. I don't think it's fair to expect a jeweler to produce this kind of work unless you have seen them do examples of it before. Did the jeweler guarantee in writing that they could reproduce this look? If so, I would have a written agreement to give them another try or get a refund and walk away.

You are absolutely right about LM. The jeweler has produced custom settings for myself as well as family members for more than a decade and I have never been disappointed. At our appointment, I was shown two similar settings they had made, so I trusted my instincts. Only verbal guarantee that it can be reproduced; however, they are more than willing to make amends. My apologies if I'm all over the place with emotions, I do not usually overwhelm easily. :(sad

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

I agree with aljdewey...it seems to me you might be looking for a more delicate look with smaller melee. Note how the melee is double on the LM and curves downward on the edge of the halo and you cannot see the 2nd row from the top of the halo but is actually on the side of the halo. Making that fine melee work must be tedious and a specialty application that not all jewelers are capable of.

What were the specs on the width of the melee on your band?.....on your halo?

If you look at the melee applications on LM...you can choose 2,3,4 rows of fine MICRO PAVED melee to create a certain look but Leon reserves the right to dictate how many rows of melee he can do based on the size of the stone.

That stated, I do love the shape of your halo, although maybe the band could be thinner and finer with the split shank.

Since you don't love it, you are doing a wise thing in trying to define exactly what you want since the jeweler has nicely agreed to redo it. Members on here have more knowledge to help you define exactly what you want than I, and there is a thread recently on PS that describes a halo being made by 3 different jewelers before she got the ring she wanted from Victor Canera. I will try and find it for you and maybe that will give you suggestions as to how you can define exactly what you want to your jeweler or decide if you want to scrap the whole setting and go with another jeweler. That said you need to post more pictures of your ring and also the specifications of the melee etc. so that PSr's can make more accurate comments on your present ring.

I just know that I had a split shank platinum custom ring made for a 2.1 radiant that was beautiful but the more rings I try on the more i realize that it really turned out too "bulky" for my taste and I want something more delicate and fine.

Since you don't love it ...I vote a do over.

Here's the link...although this is a one row melee on the VC, 2 rows on SK and 1 row on LM

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL]

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know why, but the overall look reminds me of a gumdrop rather than a halo (but I'm not a halo person at all, so I'm probably not the best person to give an opinion). For some reason, the original reminds me of those old-fashioned bumble bee brooches/pins. I know they really don't look anything alike, but that's what popped into my mind when I saw it.

I wouldn't think that the depth of the stone would limit anything. The lower "band" of the halo may extend below the culet if your stone is not as deep as the original stone but I don't see where that would make any difference.

I think you have to go with what you love. The current setting is beautiful but it's bugging you.

liz

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
LibbyLA|1337796922|3201789 said:
I don't know why, but the overall look reminds me of a gumdrop rather than a halo (but I'm not a halo person at all, so I'm probably not the best person to give an opinion). For some reason, the original reminds me of those old-fashioned bumble bee brooches/pins. I know they really don't look anything alike, but that's what popped into my mind when I saw it.

I wouldn't think that the depth of the stone would limit anything. The lower "band" of the halo may extend below the culet if your stone is not as deep as the original stone but I don't see where that would make any difference.

I think you have to go with what you love. The current setting is beautiful but it's bugging you.

liz

That statement made me laugh. I appreciate your honesty, it's refreshing...thank you.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful ring and your inspiration ring is also a stunning ring - but if you are not happy, you are NOT happy.... do you think you could get happier with it in a little while? is there a time limit for your jeweller to redo it? (meaning - deciderightnoworloosetheoption, or can you wear it and think about it?)

But I also agree with Marymm - if he could have done it 'right' the first time, he would have (unless he really did not understand your instructions)

Perhaps with the gorgeous 3.92ct stone you have, maybe it's the 2 rows of halos... would you consider just 1 row in a do over??

(probably adding to your mixed up thoughts - sorry to do that to you! :)) )
ETA - sorry, it is just 1 row of melee.... maybe smaller melee??

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
I am in a posting mood today!

I think your ring looks gorgeous! I think it's natural to second guess anything done custom. I have had several setting changes (large and tiny) in a short amount of time and I will say that every time I got one back, it took me awhile to adjust to it and I missed the previous version at first.

I think that if you change the halo to something more "delicate" with smaller melee, you will lose finger coverage and in turn *that* will bug you. (especially since you noted you love the coverage). Just my thoughts!

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
I agree with aljdewey...it seems to me you might be looking for a more delicate look with smaller melee. Note how the melee is double on the LM and curves downward on the edge of the halo and you cannot see the 2nd row from the top of the halo but is actually on the side of the halo. Making that fine melee work must be tedious and a specialty application that not all jewelers are capable of.

What were the specs on the width of the melee on your band?.....on your halo?

If you look at the melee applications on LM...you can choose 2,3,4 rows of fine MICRO PAVED melee to create a certain look but Leon reserves the right to dictate how many rows of melee he can do based on the size of the stone.

That stated, I do love the shape of your halo, although maybe the band could be thinner and finer with the split shank.

Since you don't love it, you are doing a wise thing in trying to define exactly what you want since the jeweler has nicely agreed to redo it. Members on here have more knowledge to help you define exactly what you want than I, and there is a thread recently on PS that describes a halo being made by 3 different jewelers before she got the ring she wanted from Victor Canera. I will try and find it for you and maybe that will give you suggestions as to how you can define exactly what you want to your jeweler or decide if you want to scrap the whole setting and go with another jeweler. That said you need to post more pictures of your ring and also the specifications of the melee etc. so that PSr's can make more accurate comments on your present ring.

I just know that I had a split shank platinum custom ring made for a 2.1 radiant that was beautiful but the more rings I try on the more i realize that it really turned out too "bulky" for my taste and I want something more delicate and fine.

Since you don't love it ...I vote a do over.

Here's the link...although this is a one row melee on the VC, 2 rows on SK and 1 row on LM

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL][/quote]

Thank you Ariel. This is the prime reason why I posted as I knew other PSrs would have a better understanding of what I am looking for. The link is most helpful! I did contact VC prior to going with the family jeweler and he was quite responsive. I may contact him and inquire whether he would be willing to re-do the ring. Although our jeweler was more than happy to do it at no cost, it still may not turn out to be what I envision. It may be a pretty penny, but it won't hurt to ask VC.

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1337797448|3201796 said:
It is a beautiful ring and your inspiration ring is also a stunning ring - but if you are not happy, you are NOT happy.... do you think you could get happier with it in a little while? is there a time limit for your jeweller to redo it? (meaning - deciderightnoworloosetheoption, or can you wear it and think about it?)

But I also agree with Marymm - if he could have done it 'right' the first time, he would have (unless he really did not understand your instructions)

Perhaps with the gorgeous 3.92ct stone you have, maybe it's the 2 rows of halos... would you consider just 1 row in a do over??

(probably adding to your mixed up thoughts - sorry to do that to you! :)) )
ETA - sorry, it is just 1 row of melee.... maybe smaller melee??

I thought that also. Each time I look at it, I think -- it's beautiful. Perhaps I could get "happier" with it over time. The jeweler did not give me a time frame. I don't doubt they will give me the time I need, they are truly wonderful. The more I think about it, it was definitely a miscommunication but I'm so afraid of taking a chance on a re-do and still not turn out. You're right, I'm all mixed up. Ugh.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get a CAD for a redo? Get them to be as specific as possible on what they would change, incorporating what you would WANT changed?

What are the parts you love & what are the parts you don't love about it?

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
Md123456789|1337797919|3201808 said:
I am in a posting mood today!

I think your ring looks gorgeous! I think it's natural to second guess anything done custom. I have had several setting changes (large and tiny) in a short amount of time and I will say that every time I got one back, it took me awhile to adjust to it and I missed the previous version at first.

I think that if you change the halo to something more "delicate" with smaller melee, you will lose finger coverage and in turn *that* will bug you. (especially since you noted you love the coverage). Just my thoughts!

Didn't even think about that!!!! You're right.... AAARRGGGHHHH. (Taking a deep breath and chanting.....)

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1337798904|3201828 said:
Can you get a CAD for a redo? Get them to be as specific as possible on what they would change, incorporating what you would WANT changed?

What are the parts you love & what are the parts you don't love about it?

It was hand forged, no CAD. I only issue is the size/shape of halo. Having everyone's input is extremely helpful.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
With large stones like yours I prefer to see a more delicate halo. The halo is more of a decoration rather than needing to add finger coverage. For my taste I think large stones can get swallowed in halos. But you want to be happy with what you wear. Do you still want a halo only more like LM?

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
swingirl|1337800149|3201861 said:
With large stones like yours I prefer to see a more delicate halo. The halo is more of a decoration rather than needing to add finger coverage. For my taste I think large stones can get swallowed in halos. But you want to be happy with what you wear. Do you still want a halo only more like LM?

Although I want some coverage for my snausages finger, I agree with you -- I do prefer a more delicate halo w/ larger stones. I still want a halo to accentuate the center stone not to overwhelm. If I go ahead with the redo for a more delicate halo, I think the split shank will make up for the finger coverage..

LLCALI

Rough_Rock
I would love to see more photos of your new ring so we can see it at all angles. I voted for "re-do" not because the ring isn't pretty, but because I know that if it were me, I would have a nagging voice at the back of my head asking if I would have liked it better if it were closer to the inspiration ring.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
If I may offer a small (unsolicited) suggestion -- if you are going to have the ring redone, I think a "Y" split shank (as opposed to a "V", if that makes sense) like Charmypoo's would go nicely with the delicate halo and look more Leon-esque.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IF you can easily afford it, and IF you both truly don't mind giving up the current setting, I vote redo - and this time go to the source of the inspiration and just have LM do it. That way there are no worries about getting it wrong again.

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
mogster|1337802031|3201899 said:
If I may offer a small (unsolicited) suggestion -- if you are going to have the ring redone, I think a "Y" split shank (as opposed to a "V", if that makes sense) like Charmypoo's would go nicely with the delicate halo and look more Leon-esque.

I will post more pictures as soon as I get home. Charmypoo's is BEAUTIFUL. It is certainly a welcomed suggestion, I may have to rethink that -- THANK YOU!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results