shape
carat
color
clarity

New to site..need advice on engagement diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aurora85

Rough_Rock
I''m looking to finally get engaged and have been reading up on the forums for awhile. I went to a local B&M today to check out things in person. Saleswoman was very nice and helpful, but she was really focused on selling a Hearts on Fire diamond. Now Ive researched on here about the ring and the consensus seems to be that is a very nice stone, but sometimes marked up a lot. Seeing it in person, it looked very impressive. I''m just not sure if I''m getting worked over on price. The first one she showed me was 1 carat and it was going for 10,200 dollars. Def. out of my price range. I''m looking to get as much ring for my dollar with a budget of around 7-8K total. She had another stone that was an HOF and was .8 carrat and I think the price she quoted me was 6820. Does this seem to be a good price?? My girlfriend told me repeatedly that she wants quality over size and this stone def. looked amazing. I wanted to know some alternatives however to HOF that I could find in person in a store. I think .8 carat is the idea size (she has real small hands). I know prices online cant be beat but I plan to buy from a B&M. If this sounds like a good price for the stone Ill probably proceed. I picked out a really nice plantnium band to compliment.

Finally what is a good way to bargain? Id be paying all cash up front. Ive never shopped for fine jewelry in my life so I dont know much about the pricing. Should I never accept the asking price?? Will the back off any from the diamond?? If not maybe on the band/setting? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. This site is awesome!

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/25/2007 7:32:29 PM
Author:aurora85
I'm looking to finally get engaged and have been reading up on the forums for awhile. I went to a local B&M today to check out things in person. Saleswoman was very nice and helpful, but she was really focused on selling a Hearts on Fire diamond. Now Ive researched on here about the ring and the consensus seems to be that is a very nice stone, but sometimes marked up a lot. Seeing it in person, it looked very impressive. I'm just not sure if I'm getting worked over on price. The first one she showed me was 1 carat and it was going for 10,200 dollars. Def. out of my price range. I'm looking to get as much ring for my dollar with a budget of around 7-8K total. She had another stone that was an HOF and was .8 carrat and I think the price she quoted me was 6820. Does this seem to be a good price?? My girlfriend told me repeatedly that she wants quality over size and this stone def. looked amazing. I wanted to know some alternatives however to HOF that I could find in person in a store. I think .8 carat is the idea size (she has real small hands). I know prices online cant be beat but I plan to buy from a B&M. If this sounds like a good price for the stone Ill probably proceed. I picked out a really nice plantnium band to compliment.

Finally what is a good way to bargain? Id be paying all cash up front. Ive never shopped for fine jewelry in my life so I dont know much about the pricing. Should I never accept the asking price?? Will the back off any from the diamond?? If not maybe on the band/setting? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. This site is awesome!
Did you check your wallet before you walked out of that place? Those prices are marketing hype. The HOF is nothing more than a well cut stone. Compared to the average diamond in te B&M it will likely perform better, but there is nothing magical about it. Looks for 'ideal' cut stones here on PS, you will find many and none in that price range. Here is a very nice 1. ct stone that would perform just as well as that $10K HOF at about half the price.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3002/ and another..
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3305/ (oppss someone already bought it)
Here is a beautifel .8 ct again at a much lower price of the HOF... http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3326/

I'm sure you can find several more, just do your research use pricescope. I'd really not be so focused on buying from a B&M. But if you are dead set on that, ask the jeweler to find you a GIA EX cut or AGS000. I'l bet they won't have any, or they will steer you to IGI or EGL certified stones. Learn the differences in these lab's grading accuracy.

aurora85

Rough_Rock
Speedracer,
Thanks for the help! That is what I suspected..that the price is awfully high. The problem i''m running into is finding actual jewlers that sell the stones you have shown above? What I want to do is find a stone that performs just as well as the HOF but for around 3-4K. Correct me if I''m wrong but most of the whiteflash and other H&A stones are sold online? Is it possible to find 3-4K range non branded H&A''s in B&M''s? I''m very new to researching and learning so I apologize for my ignorance ha!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Aurora,

Welcome. Though I''d bet most of G0G''s business is internet based, he is also an actual jeweler, with an actual storefront just outside of NYC. Likewise, WF is in Houston, and though not set up as a jeweler...when you''ve narrowed options down, they''d meet with you in person. Air fares to either would probably easily buy your savings.

Other but confirming advice below my signature.

Regards,

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/25/2007 8:38:25 PM
Author: aurora85
Speedracer,
Thanks for the help! That is what I suspected..that the price is awfully high. The problem i'm running into is finding actual jewlers that sell the stones you have shown above? What I want to do is find a stone that performs just as well as the HOF but for around 3-4K. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the whiteflash and other H&A stones are sold online? Is it possible to find 3-4K range non branded H&A's in B&M's? I'm very new to researching and learning so I apologize for my ignorance ha!
For a reservation fee ($500 refundable) and shipping (probably $20 per stone) GOG will ship that diamond to a local appraiser and you can go look at it yourself. This is what I did. I actually looked at three stones and picked the one that is now in my wife's e-ring. If you choose to buy it the appraiser will hold it until you make payment. They will only do this with an appraiser they can trust since you are not paying the full price. But if there is a appraiser in your town that GOG knows this is very possible. The last stone I listed above matches your criteria and I'm sure if you see it in person you will think it is every bit as good as the HOF. Here is a post on my experience doing this... If you can't find an appraiser I suppose you could just buy it and return it in the return period if it does not meet your criteria. You would be out the shipping.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/compared-two-rbs-and-a-solasfera.64993/

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/25/2007 8:38:25 PM
Author: aurora85
Speedracer,
Thanks for the help! That is what I suspected..that the price is awfully high. The problem i''m running into is finding actual jewlers that sell the stones you have shown above? What I want to do is find a stone that performs just as well as the HOF but for around 3-4K. Correct me if I''m wrong but most of the whiteflash and other H&A stones are sold online? Is it possible to find 3-4K range non branded H&A''s in B&M''s? I''m very new to researching and learning so I apologize for my ignorance ha!
I suppose but that is not a big part of their business. For such a stone a B&M will want to sell it at a premium. Our local Jareds has a few well cut stones. I forget the name they put on them but there are nothing more than EX or ''ideal'' cut stones. You will pay a premium. Zales I think has a proprietary cut stone (the Leo I think) as does Movado. You will definitely pay a premium on these but they are special cuts so I assume it costs a little more to cut them but really they are marketing the cut as better than other stones. This you will have to see for yourself if it is worth the extra money. In my search I decided it was not, others come to a different conclusion. It is a personal preference.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m one of the few defenders of HOF on this forum. I have a number of their pieces. The diamonds are superideal, like the ACA''s from WF. They are truly outstanding stones. They are also priced high enough to give you an anxiety attack
6.gif
My engagement ring has an ACA for the center stone and is set in a HOF semi-mount. My wedding band is HOF. I also have a HOF pendant and earrings. I am able to do the HOF because my jeweler has a terrific trade-in/trade-up policy. I have pieces I no longer want to wear and I have been putting them toward the HOF
31.gif
People say you can''t go wrong with an ACA--and I agree. HOF diamonds are stunning--the problem is the price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results