shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on this Fancy Yellow asscher please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mheadington

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a light fancy yelllow asscher diamond, below is one that I have found. Please lend me your thoughts as to how well this asscher is cut. I plan on having it set into a pave split shank platinum band with a halo and using 18kt yellow gold to hold the diamond in prongs or bezel. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

1.00 Light Fancy Yellow Asscher.jpg

mheadington

Rough_Rock
Pic # 2, Also keep in mind that there are very very few yellow stones that are cut into asschers so my selection is very very limited.

yellasscher.jpg

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
to be completely honest, it''s not yellow enough to look like a fancy. BUT - that''s just one opinion. It looks as though it is cut pretty well though, to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a VERY faint yellow isn''t it?

It''s cut deep, but it looks nice and as you said... colored asschers are few and far between. I, personally, wouldn''t pay a premium for this stone because it''s a "fancy" color. Cause it''s not a fancy yellow. It''s a faint yellow. And I''d expect it to be priced accordingly. And, personally, I''d prefer a more saturated hue.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if this will help, but my avatar is a UV EC and when I saw the stone loose, it was yellow but not as yellow looking as the pic you have posted... So being that yours is definately beyond the UV spectrum, setting it in yg will help as it helped my avatar :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
well considering there arent that many around....
the cut in a colorless would be VG to good with a demerit for depth and small windmills.
Im not a fan of yellow diamonds at all so wont comment on the color....

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 4:25:31 PM
Author: tberube
to be completely honest, it''s not yellow enough to look like a fancy. BUT - that''s just one opinion. It looks as though it is cut pretty well though, to me.
Ditto. It looks more like a very low-color diamond than a fancy color.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about yellow diamonds, but I think the yellow would be beautiful with the way you are going to mount it
31.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
If you set it in yellow gold you will enhance the color of the stone.

I saw this marquise ring in person at Barmakian and the stone looked quite yellow and it was not yellow enough to make it into "Fancy" territory.

barmakian marquise with pave.jpg

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely no expert, BUT this stone did not send my heart fluttering. I think you should hold out for a better stone to come along. The setting you have in mind sounds gorgeous by the way!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
by setting a light fancy yellow diamond into a yellow gold box the resultant depth of yellow added is pretty amazing from what i''ve seen. To the point of looking like a fancy yellow or even close to intense.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
that color i think will really pop once set, i have seen some amazing thigs done with light yellow diamonds...the only thing that drives me crazy with that asscher, and not in a good way, is that it''s off center. symmetry for me is a big deal when it comes to an asscher. they are rare in colors, but not rare enough to settle on one for....IMO

mheadington

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions. I too noticed that it seems off center, but then I thought from the first picture that It could just be my eyes playing tricks....then I wondered if it were off center how GIA rated it VG symmetry??

It has been graded by GIA as Fancy Light Yellow, so it is not as yellow as I would like, but it fits my budget. I also have been told by the vendor (very reputable) that the yellow is indeed darker in person then shown in the photos.

Does anyone else feel that it is cut off center or is it simply just the one picture?

Thanks again

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarin says the culet is off center an average of .8 mm with a spread of 1.0 to .7 off. So yes, it''s off.

mheadington

Rough_Rock
With respect to most other asschers is the centering off that bad or is this quite normal. Also note the table is off .01mm and the culet is off 0.8%

Storm, your input would be much appreciated, as I am certainly no expert on asschers. Any other comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

widget

Ideal_Rock
I certainly think this stone is worth seeing in person...as has been noted, it might be AGES before you find another yellow step-cut stone to consider.

I like that the GIA calls it "fancy", and gives it VG for symmetry.

Once you have it in your hand, you can better judge how yellow it will look mounted in YG..

JMO
widget

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I also thought the symmetry was off. Since fancy asschers are few and far between, I would take a look at it. I actually like the lighter yellow, of course it will all depend on how it is set. Once you take a look at the diamond, have the jeweler mount it in a gold ring just to get an idea of how it will look and if the color will come out nicer.

I would love to get a brown diamond, but *sigh* it''s not in my near future

good luck

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I can't say that I'm crazy about that one. Fancy color step cuts tend to look washed out to me anyway, only sometimes is the material strong enough to stand on its own. On occasion you do see a step cut with great color, like the one here. Add small colorless side stones (think Rockefeller sapphire) maybe step cut traps for a killer ring.

i5815.jpg

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 4:49:41 PM
Author: musey

to be completely honest, it's not yellow enough to look like a fancy. BUT - that's just one opinion. It looks as though it is cut pretty well though, to me.

Guys, be very careful trying to color-grade fancy-color diamonds from a photo on a computer monitor. It's hard enough to do in person.

Fancy Light is the lowest level of saturation; below that are D-Z yellows. Don't make the mistake of trying to judge the "average" color--the grade is based on the "characteristic color," which is the areas of color that make up the majority of the stone (and not counting windowing and reflections as areas of low color).

This diamond looks to be close to the line... but the graders have seen in person, so I'm inclined to trust the report.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2007 3:57:39 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

Date: 12/12/2007 4:49:41 PM
Author: musey

to be completely honest, it's not yellow enough to look like a fancy. BUT - that's just one opinion. It looks as though it is cut pretty well though, to me.

Guys, be very careful trying to color-grade fancy-color diamonds from a photo on a computer monitor. It's hard enough to do in person.

Fancy Light is the lowest level of saturation; below that are D-Z yellows. Don't make the mistake of trying to judge the 'average' color--the grade is based on the 'characteristic color,' which is the areas of color that make up the majority of the stone (and not counting windowing and reflections as areas of low color).

This diamond looks to be close to the line... but the graders have seen in person, so I'm inclined to trust the report.
Capt is right!!!
Colored Diamonds have laws of their own!
If the cutter went off-symmetry for the purpose of catching face-up color...., dont go looking for perfect symmetry!!!

The fact that GIA graded this "step-cut" as a light fancy means (to me) that the color should be there. (Remember its a step cut not one of those tricky brilliants to catch color!!!)

The image could very well be different than the actual stone itself..., its a must to judge these type of Diamonds with your eyes and LIVE!!!

The interesting part is that GIA categorized the face-up appearance as "Even distribution"..., a pretty rare point for light fancy step-cuts!!!

I am taking all of the above plus combining the fact that you rather like "light hued" shades..., it could be the right Diamond for you.

Worth checking it out.

Good luck!!

mheadington

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the comments, I appreciate it. I am going to have a look at it, hopefully I will have it tomorrow or on Monday.

Thank you

DBM

Shiny_Rock
The interesting part is that GIA categorized the face-up appearance as ''Even distribution''..., a pretty rare point for light fancy step-cuts!!!
i had wondered about that.. does that mean to assume that all certs that don''t say "Even Distribution" are not evenly distributed? .. sounds like a silly question i know but i''ve just seen so many that don''t say "Even Distribution" that it''s a little surprising.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2007 12:05:28 PM
Author: DBM

The interesting part is that GIA categorized the face-up appearance as ''Even distribution''..., a pretty rare point for light fancy step-cuts!!!
i had wondered about that.. does that mean to assume that all certs that don''t say ''Even Distribution'' are not evenly distributed? .. sounds like a silly question i know but i''ve just seen so many that don''t say ''Even Distribution'' that it''s a little surprising.
Hmmm, interesting question. I went and pulled my GIA report and it states even under distribution on my report.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure judging by the photos if the cut is off, but I am partial to lemon yellow diamonds, so I really like it. It would look stunning set the way you described.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results