shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions: is this diamond mounted crooked?

loggedout

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just received the ring. I bought the diamond and setting from separate sources, but it was mounted by the diamond retailer's jeweler. It looks beautiful and maybe I am being anal, but is it mounted crooked?

Here's a picture below:

img_1489_1.jpg

Do you see what I am saying?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could be the lighting, but is it possible that the diamond is "listing" a bit to the left? It looks like the left prong is on more of an angle while the right prong is more upright???

Is that what we are supposed to be seeing?

Can you give us more photos to view

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, It looks like the prong on the left is splayed out more than the prong on the right is, and it's tilted off to the left. I would want my setting replaced at their cost and done correctly.

loggedout

Rough_Rock
Here are some more pictures

On the front view, it looks as if the diamond's face is slanting towards the left and from the top view, the prongs are assymetrical.

img-diamond001_0.jpg

img_1491.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't tell, could be though. Can you set the diamond table down and take a picture? If it's listing that should show it.

loggedout

Rough_Rock
Here are pics with the table down. It's a bit strange, from one side it seems symmetrical and from the other side, not.

tabledown-1.jpg

tabledown-2.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, you got yourself a tilted setting! Back it goes - vendor needs to reset it and make it even. Sorry :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is totally unacceptable. Check it closely before leaving the store next time.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's at least two prongs that are off in this. Either splayed more or the seats are wrong, but it's DEFINITELY crooked.

loggedout

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347583827|3267854 said:
Yes, that is totally unacceptable. Check it closely before leaving the store next time.

Okay but I did not have that chance since this ring was delivered to me via Fedex from the us (i live in canada). It was purchased entirely online from vendors that are reputable on price scope.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The box is from BGD. So one of your vendors is BGD. Just call them, show them the thread, and they will help you out.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
When people post questions like yours it generally takes me a bit of studying to see exactly what it is that they see, but I noticed this immediately. I'm not sure how the ring got through quality control! :-o It's a gorgeous setting though and if it was purchased through BGD, or another PS vendor they will surly correct it. Beautiful ring, congratulations!

loggedout

Rough_Rock
This is becoming pretty stressful.

I spoke to the diamond vendor who mounted the diamond, and they told me, it was an issue with the setting. That it was poorly constructed, and that they did the best job they could putting in the diamond to be safe and secure in the mounting. However, I was not informed of any potential issues prior to the diamond being mounted or after. Having never done this before, I'm not sure if that's a reasonable expectation?

Anyhow, then I contacted the setting vendor, and they told me that they had inspected the ring prior to sending it over to the diamond vendor, and that everything looked fine. They said they would be willing to inspect the ring if it was sent back to them.

Really hope I don't get screwed in all of this!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like neither wants to take responsibility. Were you charged a setting fee by whomever set it? Because that's where I would point the finger. And one of them better take responsibility, and I hope you post both vendors names on here so that they are publicly called out for not taking responsibility.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you go about worrying too much about getting screwed... ask either vendor this: IF you have to take care of it at your expense, what would the cost, including shipping be? Then see if you can get either to agree to a three way split in that cost.

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
loggedout|1347668809|3268378 said:
This is becoming pretty stressful.

I spoke to the diamond vendor who mounted the diamond, and they told me, it was an issue with the setting. That it was poorly constructed, and that they did the best job they could putting in the diamond to be safe and secure in the mounting. However, I was not informed of any potential issues prior to the diamond being mounted or after. Having never done this before, I'm not sure if that's a reasonable expectation?

Anyhow, then I contacted the setting vendor, and they told me that they had inspected the ring prior to sending it over to the diamond vendor, and that everything looked fine. They said they would be willing to inspect the ring if it was sent back to them.

Really hope I don't get screwed in all of this!

Whoever set the diamond should fix it. It is crooked.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I sent out a stone to be mounted in a gold semi-mount. I took it to a jweler, who sent it out to a benchman. I got a call from the benchman who refused to set the stone because the setting has some issues(placement of the prongs). He sent the stone and semi-mount back to me where I could see exactly the issue. I returned the damaged ring to the vendor and was refunded my money. So, Yes, I think BGD centainly should have called you, and sent the ring back to you. I am really surprised they even set the stone. That is shoddy, IMO.

Annette

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused as to why, if there were issues with the setting that the vendor went ahead and set the stone without contacting you? This makes me think that the problem was with setting the stone and not with the setting itself. It seems to me that if the bench had noticed construction issues with the mount that they would have notified you and refused to set the stone. Sadly this all could have been avoided with a single phone call or email. Unfortunately now it looks like neither company wants to take responsibility and Gypsys advice of splitting the cost may be the best resolution, however I don't feel that you should have to incur any cost and would ask that the vendors split it loss between them. Keep us updated.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Christina...|1347728734|3268664 said:
I'm confused as to why, if there were issues with the setting that the vendor went ahead and set the stone without contacting you? This makes me think that the problem was with setting the stone and not with the setting itself. It seems to me that if the bench had noticed construction issues with the mount that they would have notified you and refused to set the stone. Sadly this all could have been avoided with a single phone call or email. Unfortunately now it looks like neither company wants to take responsibility and Gypsys advice of splitting the cost may be the best resolution, however I don't feel that you should have to incur any cost and would ask that the vendors split it loss between them. Keep us updated.

+1

I was just about to write the same but Christina said it better...sad story, hope you can have the ring inspected by the vendors free of charge.

loggedout

Rough_Rock
ame|1347671995|3268411 said:
Sounds like neither wants to take responsibility. Were you charged a setting fee by whomever set it? Because that's where I would point the finger. And one of them better take responsibility, and I hope you post both vendors names on here so that they are publicly called out for not taking responsibility.

I am not sure about the "ethics" of posting their names, maybe I am being too nice, but I would like to give both the diamond vendor and ring vendor a chance to rectify the situation before calling them out. I'll see what happens during the week.

And it was the diamond vendor who charged me a fee of $120 to set the diamond. I made this thread just to get a second opinion on whether the diamond looked crooked on the setting, and this has been confirmed.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Unaccpetable in my opinion. First of all, they should have told you about the setting problems before setting and shipping you the ring. I was inspecting this and it doesn't look like it is the mount but maybe it is the head instead the halo that is causing the problem. That should be easy to fix. Hard for me to tell from pictures though ... do you have a clear face up shot?

What brand is your mount?

The other shocking piece is $120 to set a diamond. Wow! That's like robbery to me. I usually pay $50 to set a stone with both US and CDN vendors.

Since you are in Toronto, try taking your ring to http://www.leifbenner.com/ and see if he can do anything to fix it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm curious loggedout, any progress with either vendor in terms of taking ownership of the crooked mounting and a willingness to correct it?

If neither are willing to help you... it may be time to reveal their names :devil:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just shocked that even when the bench noticed issues with the setting, he went ahead with the work without notifying anyone. Then on top of that, charged you $120 for the work. That's red flags right there - lack of professionalism and poor communication. At this point, I would contact the bench to find out:
1. If this can be fixed
2. How much would it cost
3. If the bench will eat this cost (or at least split the cost)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think at bare minimum - BGD should refund the money of the setting job. If they told the customer and the customer insisted that go ahead .. that is a different story. It doesn't sound like that happened here.

loggedout

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1348232547|3272165 said:
I'm curious loggedout, any progress with either vendor in terms of taking ownership of the crooked mounting and a willingness to correct it?

If neither are willing to help you... it may be time to reveal their names :devil:

The ring vendor is willing to take the ring back and remount the diamond free of charge. My only issue is because I am across the border, I need to have the diamond vendor (who sent the ring back to me) take the ring back as a return for repair to avoid any issues with customs. I must say that the ring vendor has been far more responsive to me than the diamond vendor. The diamond vendor to my dismay even asked me to have the ring vendor pay for all of the shipping/insurance charges. After my prompting, they said they would cover the shipping to them to offset the setting charge, but didn't think it was fair for them to pay the shipping charges back to the ring vendor. At this point, I am really tired and frustrated so I am willing to swallow that just so I can get this all over with. The diamond vendor did apologize for not informing me upfront about any issues with the setting but they told me that their policy on settings that they receive to set is to set the stones and to not necessarily check the settings as a part of their quality control process :(

I am thinking now to save me the hassle of shipping etc to get this assessed locally. I just don't know anymore.

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
loggedout|1348243372|3272262 said:
The ring vendor is willing to take the ring back and remount the diamond free of charge. My only issue is because I am across the border, I need to have the diamond vendor (who sent the ring back to me) take the ring back as a return for repair to avoid any issues with customs. I must say that the ring vendor has been far more responsive to me than the diamond vendor. The diamond vendor to my dismay even asked me to have the ring vendor pay for all of the shipping/insurance charges. After my prompting, they said they would cover the shipping to them to offset the setting charge, but didn't think it was fair for them to pay the shipping charges back to the ring vendor. At this point, I am really tired and frustrated so I am willing to swallow that just so I can get this all over with. The diamond vendor did apologize for not informing me upfront about any issues with the setting but they told me that their policy on settings that they receive to set is to set the stones and to not necessarily check the settings as a part of their quality control process :(

I am thinking now to save me the hassle of shipping etc to get this assessed locally. I just don't know anymore.

I'm really sorry you are going through this. The ring vendor is trying to make things right. They know the setting better than anyone. Take them up on their offer.

I am surprised with the PS vendor. Other PS vendors have absorbed the cost for problems that weren't even their fault! GOG takes hits for shipping charges. IDJ went of of his way to help a diamond issue. WhiteFlash replaced a diamond in my wedding band for free that a local jewler damaged.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable! I'm sorry that the diamond vendor isn't more helpful or accommodating. Yes, it's their choice but this will affect future sales with you and other potential customers who read this. It is professional to tell the customer and HALT work if there is a setting issue. No further work should be done until the customer gives the go ahead. You shouldn't have to be stressed out because you did nothing wrong. Scott Kay is not some cheapo setting and I'm glad to read that they stepping up to the plate to make things right by you. It's the diamond vendor that I'm keeping tabs on because I was considering a project with them but after reading this, I'm not so sure anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results