shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with the 3 stone necklace design

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To summarize a few posts, I'm taking my uncertified .75 MRB engagement ring bought in 1993 to a jeweler and am having it made into a 3 stone necklace. Here is the original diamond: img_1995.jpg

We only have an "appraisal" from the jeweler when we bought it that says "...one round brilliant cut diamond measuring 5.85 x 5.80 x 3.50 mm and weighing .75ct. Clarity I1, color H." The gemologist who wrote that is GG, GIA

Yes, you can see clearly the inclusions (first pic, and here in 10x loupe pic): img_2007_1.jpg

I discovered the other day that it has fluro: image_4540.jpg

img_2052.jpg

Can the experts tell from this info and these pics if this diamond would be ok as the middle stone of a 3 stone? Would it be better as an earring? (DH sorts prefers it as a necklace so he can see and appreciate it--his first major purchase).

I was wanting to do something like this:

img_1743_1.jpg

I thought I would do .37 .75 .37 so I bought a .37 to check it out (and then waited to long to return it, so its mine now)

img_2014_0.jpg

This diamond looks too yellow next to the .75 (makes sense now that I know the h has fluro) and I find the .37 very small. I'd like to beef it up with two diamonds of .45-.50 each. I have a daughter who is turning 18 this year, so I'm making this diamond into a small pendant for her.

To sum up the questions in order:

1) do you think or can you tell based on this info whether this diamond would make a good center stone of a 3 stone pendant?

2) will .50 .75 .50 or .45 .75 .45 look asymmetrical? Any ideas here? .75 .75 .75?

3) I suppose I can't do worse with clarity here, so do you think I can consider SI2 stones for the other two diamonds?

4) does anyone have a good idea on what to do? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Despite the inclusions, I always had plenty of unsolicited comments on how pretty it was and how it caught people's eyes.

Ultimately, I am worried the new diamonds will outperform the middle stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, those familiar with fluro: would you call that strong fluro?

How do I try and pick color for the other two stones?

Lots of questions... thanks for your time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I welcome everyone's input about what to do with this diamond. I am sort of now thinking a double drop pendant? I'm so confused. I know I don't prefer bars, bezels, set pendants. I know everything I don't want, but I am so confused on sizes and what to do.

Thanks for any help or direction..

luckykit

Rough_Rock
if you have your heart set on a three stone design, i would look for other diamonds with similar color and clarity grades, as well as level of fluorescence (unfortunately i can't help you with that, but hopefully some experts here will have a sense!) i think having well matched diamonds is super important when they are right next to each other. might take some time, but if you're not in a hurry, could be worth it.

alternatively you could just set it as a solitaire pendant and do a three stone with different stones later on...

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the proportions of the 3 stone you posted you could try to recreate them, maybe? Measuring on my screen the side stones are about 2/3 the diameter of the middle one. That would mean you looking for (approximately) 3.8mm stones which would be about 0.2 carats each.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said I didnt prefer bezels and posted a pix of bezels lol.

I'm in carpool line right now. I'll post some examples that caught my eye later.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luckykit, I think the bottom line problem is, I think i want a 3 stone 3 in a row, but the jeweler cautioned against it unless made into a pendant. (Because of traveling diamond syndrome) He was going to add two bales on the back so I can have a true pendant, but in thinking about it.... maybe I need to forget about a 3 stone across. The jeweler prefers to go down with diamonds.

Snowdrop, I definitely have a problem visualizing sizes. I'm giving the .37 to my daughter because it seemed too small to me next to the .75.

FLying pig, thanks. You can tell when I'm thinking on something because that is when I post pics with a narrative. It helps me figure stuff out.

I'm starting to think about these things: maybe I want to incorporate a DBTY necklace for special occasions where I can use the pendant and a plain chain for everyday, and the pendant and DBTY necklace for dressy/formal occasions. Kinda like this:

img_2053.png

And I really like edwardian things like this fantasy pendant: img_2056.png

Then I separated out (all of this happened while in carpool lane lol) the fancy stuff and looked at this: img_2066.jpg

So then I started googling diamind drop necklaces and thought maybe a nice pear with the round diamond like this:
img_2070.png

img_2064.png

But the diamond is.75 so the pear would have to be larger and then it would be getting too big/too expensive.

Then I saw this and like the three little pears , but how would it look with a round???
img_2065.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I draw it out and it looks like Oddish from Pokemon :lol:

img_2067.jpg

The pic came out upside down lol.

img_2069.png

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, i found this while using the terms diamond drop pendant in the image search.

img_14760.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very interesting, thanks!

Yeah, I'm feeling like I want something pretty, feminine, maternal, understated and unique. Something different.

I HATE when mall jewelers start pedding the journey pendant, or the us two pendant... I don't want everyone to have what I do.

What that is, I don't know, but at least I can start a dialogue with the jeweler and see what he comes up with. I'll email him tomorrow.

Keep the ideas coming! I feel like I'm in the right direction now.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tonysgeko|1485825013|4122069 said:
Whitewave, i found this while using the terms diamond drop pendant in the image search.

I like this very much and you'd just need two small diamonds to add. Those look about 1/3 the size of your current stone so maybe .25 each. I think it is simple enough to wear all the time, yet a bit different which is what you seem to want.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Whitewave,

What fun this is!

The pear-shaped diamond drop is really interesting - and I have not seen it done often - very cool.

Have you considered a three stone drop pendant with the stones graduating from small to big? Also, a fun look.

Whatever you decide - come back and post pics!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am making slow progress. Toward the end of the month I am getting the stone from the ring and getting all of the dimensions for it (can wait to plug it in the ACA... I'm guessing 3.5).

At the end of the day, I want a diamond pendant with a little something to make it special. It doesn't need to be elaborate or blingly.... just something that says it is mine only. A little detail.

It could be one stone, two stone or three stone. I'm open to that. I don't want something over designed (I have seen way too many elaborate custom made busy hot messes), but classic, understated and elegant.

Some more ideas that caught my eye. I've been looking at intricate antique pendants also and am trying to pull out one detail of it to imagine...

I look at these as concepts I am drawn to:

This one in a shortened version with round diamonds:

img_2118.jpg

img_2119.jpg

img_2116.png

I this one with the idea of putting a medium size at the top, smaller in the middle, and biggest one at the bottom.

img_2122.png

img_2071.png

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I like the pear shaped pendant. Three stones in a row can be a problem. Below is my three stone pendant. I rarely wear it because it slides toward my shoulder. I wouldn't purchase another three stone in a row pendant and prefer that my pendants. are not attached to a chain.I think they lay better and I enjoy being able to switch out my chains for a different look or length.

img_14771.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or like take this pendant img_2126.png

And zoom in on this (take off right and left medium diamonds):
img_2127.jpg

Another that caught my eye:img_2112.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JLW05|1485979216|4122941 said:
I like the pear shaped pendant. Three stones in a row can be a problem. Below is my three stone pendant. I rarely wear it because it slides toward my shoulder. I wouldn't purchase another three stone in a row pendant and prefer that my pendants. are not attached to a chain.I think they lay better and I enjoy being able to switch out my chains for a different look or length.

This is exactly what the jeweler warned me about and why, if he did three across, he would make it as a pendant. But 1) he warned me and 2) pendant sounds kinda bulky and awkward.

Its a beautiful necklace-- maybe you should get it repurposed?

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Repurposing it down the line is definitely on my "to do" list. Love that your jeweler discussed the pitfalls of this setting with you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I played around with some diamond earrings and the ring to see what I could come up with.

This one is .44 .25.25 .44 .75
fullsizerender_2_26.jpg

It was hard to get these to behave: .44 .25 .25 .75 (the two in the middle are same color)
fullsizerender_175.jpg

.25 and .75 sideway pic (fluro really killing it there)
img_6457.jpg

I was planning to give the .50 ctw to my daughter but since she doesnt like earrings, I can always get her another pair at a later date. They can be used for this project also.

ETA: I think this design is working for me (would like to try no bezel).... have to figure out sizes compared to the .75

What do you think the sizes should be for the top 3 stones... would it be odd to do medium, small small, .75? Or does it need to be .75 small small .75? What about .50 .12 .12 .75?

img_2132.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This project has been shelved indefinitely. Nothing more...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must seem so wishy washy with this project! When I said it was scrapped, it was because I was going to trade it in at the original jewelry store- they have a liberal trade policy and it doesn't have to be double. Turns out, DH was offended because he is so proud of this stone that cost so much when we were broke broke broke. (1k in 1993). So I am keeping and working with this stone...

Most jewelers I spoke with wanted me to find an already existing mounting to work with and I looked all over and thought nothing more than "absolutely not" or "meh". Also, let's be honest here.... this stone would drag down a new cool multiple stone setting. It looks nice in real life, but it has issues. So while I love drop pendants, I will start with all new stones when I am ready to make one.

I've decided to stick with one stone pendant ideas. While looking around for mountings, I found a store on Etsy where they have what I want and can do the casting and mounting. I feel this is the best choice because they are already doing the styles I wanted when thinking of one stone pendants.

I'll tell more once it is shipped to her which should be in the next day or two.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't photograph well since it has strong fluro. She faces up bright white and sparkles like a champ img_2188.png

img_2187.png

img_2184_1.png

img_2183.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
img_6488.png

She is off! This very strong fluro/over blue (?) is on her way for a makeover.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond will look beautiful in a pendant! Can't wait to see the finished piece!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to wait for him to get it so we can discuss the ideas I had, but it more likely than not is going to have a halo or bezel.

I'm excited!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring has been safely delivered to Ilya at Ivy and Rose (formerly My Diamond Zone). He was fantastic at answering my emails and looking at my pics and providing price quotes upfront. Then I found out he was on vacation with spotty internet!! I told him to stop emailing me back!

Hopefully we will talk soon. Text alerts told me it was delivered today.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So do y'all want to see the design and CAD or should I do a big reveal when I have it?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1487800328|4132328 said:
So do y'all want to see the design and CAD or should I do a big reveal when I have it?

Show us the process- it's always fun and usually very educational!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results