shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on picking between 2 rounds on Blue Nile!

ring24

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys-First off, great site! Although I am most definitely a diamond novice, I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge in reading these posts.

Anyway, I am down to two rings on Blue Nile and need some help trying to assess whether it would be worth spending an additional $3k for a round with slightly better dimensions. They both grade out well on HCA (~1.3) but the one that is $3k more has better dimensions at first glance. Outside of seeing thumbnail images of both of the rings, I unfortunately don't have access to any other photos prior to purchase. Based on strictly the dimensions below, are there any other factors which would cause the price disparity? Any other specs would which be cause for concern? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ring #1
Carat weight -2.40
Shape -Round
Cut-Ideal
Color-H
Clarity-VVS2
Length/width ratio-1.00
Depth %-61.9%
Table %-55.0%
Crown Angle-34.5
Pavilion Angle-40.8
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Excellent
Girdle-Medium, Faceted
Culet-None
Fluorescence-None
Measurements -8.58 x 8.61 x 5.32 mm

Ring #2
Carat weight -2.40
Shape -Round
Cut-Ideal
Color-H
Clarity- VVS2
Length/width ratio-1.01
Depth -62.6%
Table %-56.0%
Crown Angle-35.5
Pavilion Angle-40.6
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Excellent
Girdle-Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet-None
Fluorescence-None
Measurements- 8.54 x 8.49 x 5.33 mm

ring24

Rough_Rock
Hi, any feedback? I have them both on hold for less than 48 hours so I was hoping to gauge what others think.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers of both are fine. The first one is a little bigger in width, the second one should be bigger in height (z axis)

miraj

Rough_Rock
I assume stone #1 is "better dimensions" because you get slightly more face-up. But $3k is quite a big difference for essentially the same face-up size.

Is one of the stones BN's "Signature Ideal"? Are they both graded by the same certifying body?

I would imagine that the 'inferior' (deeper/cheaper) stone would also have a worse color (close to an I), or inclusions that are more severe (closer to a VS1). Perhaps running an ASET on the stones would reveal a real light performance difference as well.

It could also be that the stones were purchased at different times reflecting different costs.

ring24

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses! Both are GIA certified but they are not part of the Signature Ideal program.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results