shape
carat
color
clarity

My first OEC - what do you think?

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a longtime lurker and few times poster, and this is my first post in RockyTalky. I hope some oec experts can chime in, and tell me their opinion. So after Christmas i was just browsing LAD website, and a few others just to see some nice bling. Than I just found a diamond, which just talked to me on the pictures. I contacted Erica, and the stone is on hold for me.
This is the link-I hope it works, I'm writing this from my phone:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-2-86ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-n-vs1]

So this stone is almost over 9 mm, and within my budget. It seems to be not yellow, but more creamy, but I only have D, E and G color stones so far. I hope, I won't find it too tinted, because return from where I live wouldn't be easy.

Please, tell me your opinions on this stone, but I'm almost sure, I won't find any other 9 mm stone within my budget in the near future.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! And it is a little fireball. LOVE the pastel colors.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE that stone! It's one of my favorites! Any ideas for setting??? :love: :love:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this setting. The yellow gold would be beautiful with that diamond! :love:

15493307_529676183905661_4479948707052436320_o.jpg

seekingshiny

Rough_Rock
IMO, the OEC itself is beautiful. However, I suggest as a starting point finding out for yourself how color sensitive you are. Some people are not color sensitive and see the lower colors as warm creaminess, but some people are and will see enough yellow in a H grade for it to bother them. That said, as you've only had high colors up to now, I think going to a jeweler and asking them to pull lower colors for you to see would be helpful to you. Of course, some people who call themselves somewhat color-sensitive may tolerate a even lower color in an OEC, so it may come down to you seeing the diamond in person.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone! However I agree with the above poster....if the lowest color stone you have is a G, you are more than likely going to see a color difference when looking at an N. Thats quite the jump. I agree with going to look at lower colored stones before you pull the trigger, or make sure there is a good return policy in place (I'm sure LAD does).

Keep us posted! Good Luck!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That faceting is gorgeous :love: I hope it's not too warm for you but I would SO definitely be taking a chance and viewing it in person, what a lovely stone. How will you set it?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks beautiful! Can't wait to see more pictures when you set her.

Q

Queenie60

I love this stone and have been admiring it for quite sometime. It's beautiful!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To all the ladies who answered, thank you! And now I try to answer everyone:

Soxfan- if I remember right, you also have an oec. I trust your eyes! Regarding yellow gold setting: unfortunately I don't wear any yellow gold, but the setting itself is nice. As I already have a halo, I would like to have a solitaire. I just don't know which one.

Seekingshiny, Jetmal- I completely agree with your suggestion, there is only one problem. I live in Europe and we don't have possibilities like you in US. I only have here some Antiquariat but that's all. I mean lower color stones I won't find at a jewelry shop, because they normally have only above H. So I could only try to find a stone with lower color st an Antiquariat but normally they are inverted, the colors are only in house estimation. I know My eyes are color sensitive the question is if I'm going to like the buttery color or not.

Foxinsox- I was looking for a faceting like that. I take the risk of the lower color, and I'm going to order. I hope, I don't have to return, it would be not easy.

Poshmommy- I would like to set it at first as a solitaire and see how I would like it after that. I have to get to know the stone!

Queenie60- I hope you are going to find an other nice stone for you, but I'm happy, I'm not the one who likes this one!

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
So you're the lucky duck who has that one on hold! I have to admit my heart sank a little when I saw it had been claimed - I'm a huge fan of this stone and would have snapped it up myself if I could. Congratulations, the faceting is just divine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful OEC. The faceting is just GORGEOUS.

My only concern is the N color. I had a GIA G MRB and traded it for a GIA L OEC and I did notice the color difference but for an OEC my tolerance is higher for the lower colors. However for me I think L is my lower (color) limit and it is such a personal preference thing so the only way you can tell is by seeing the OEC IRL as you will be doing and examining it under every different lighting and environmental situation you can within the return time period.

And definitely get to know the stone as well as you can first before setting her. With an N I would stay away from other diamonds/melee in the setting unless you want to highlight the color.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing your thoughts (and of course seeing lots of your photos :love: ) when you receive this beauty.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy - yes, I want to see this stone IRL, because I remember the stone of autumngems, and it was beautiful. I know, hers had strong fluorescence, and this one has none, but I'm still convinced, that this is a beautiful stone.

I've also reread the description from Erica, and she also states in an e-mail, that the stone is warm white, not cool white, but it is definitely not tinted.

But I'll keep you all updated, as soon as i get it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkata|1483526498|4112206 said:
Missy - yes, I want to see this stone IRL, because I remember the stone of autumngems, and it was beautiful. I know, hers had strong fluorescence, and this one has none, but I'm still convinced, that this is a beautiful stone.

I've also reread the description from Erica, and she also states in an e-mail, that the stone is warm white, not cool white, but it is definitely not tinted.

Sounds good! Good luck and I hope you fall in love with it and that it is exactly what you want...your dream OEC. :love:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkata|1483526498|4112206 said:

It's not tinted. When I was deciding between my L OEC and your stone, Erica sent me two videos. The color looked the same as my L, and my L is set in platinum and shows zero color- not even from the sides. Your are going to love that stone, it's amazing. The faceting is just incredible. :love:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Soxfan- thank you so much for this info! I was afraid, that it would be too tinted for me, but I wanted to give this stone and myself a chance. I don't think that im going to find such a big stone for that price. I really hope, that I'm going to like it, and you just reassured my decision!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkata|1483540829|4112241 said:
Soxfan- thank you so much for this info! I was afraid, that it would be too tinted for me, but I wanted to give this stone and myself a chance. I don't think that im going to find such a big stone for that price. I really hope, that I'm going to like it, and you just reassured my decision!!

You definitely won't! And I'm shocked that diamond didn't go right after it was listed. I think people are broke LOL!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ask all the experts to chime in, as I have to bring a not easy decision.

As I already stated, I'm located in Europe, and I just got to know from Fedex, that the VAT - which is 20% here - won't be refunded in case I return the stone to Erica. Can you imagine? It's ridiculous, but I can not do anythink about it.

It means, if I don't like the color, this diamond would be still mine to sell, or keep!!!

So...as I haven't found anything in my budget with higher color on LAD, I contacted also OWD, to see, what Adam has. He suggested me following stone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB_Uyj8cdbs&feature=youtu.be

This OEC is 2.57 carat, M, VVS2.

What do you all think?

I would appreciate any input regarding both diamonds.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely not an expert. People seem to feel that Adam picks great stones--certainly the ones I've seen on here bear that out--but I find his videos hard to judge. Can you ask him to send some more pictures? You might also want to ask about his upgrade policy, as I think I recalls someone running into an issue with that recently.

I had the same issue. I'm in the UK, so knew I was going to eat the 20% VAT. In the end, I decided to bite the bullet and trust that I would like it. I had great luck working with Erica. I think she has a very good eye, and I have to say, I do love that cushion. I was drooling over it on the site. The colour thing is funny-- I find I'm fairly sensitive to it in modern cut diamonds, but affirmatively prefer the lower colours in OECs. My current one is an M, and I doubt I would go below a K.

Have you tried Grace? I think she might hold a larger stock than Erica, and her stones are gorgeous, too.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jaaron- yes, I've seen it, but I would like to be more near to 9 mm than 8 mm if you understand what I mean. The diamond from Adam is 8.76*8.74. I know I want to have too much at once - higher color than N, big spread etc. - but I have to get it right at the first try, or it's going to be an expensive experience.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hi dkata
Are you in the UK?
I have an M colour oec purchased loose in hatton garden.
I also have an oec 3 stone with H/I stones bought unseen from the US as well as a modern round brilliant 2.5tcw eternity band with f/g stones
If I wear the (now set) M colour oec with the eternity band you can see the difference in colour and likewise up against the 3 stone.
However worn alone or with a plain band I don't see any 'colour' at all.
Have you considered trying to assess your tolerance for colour before ordering online? It is possible to get access to stones in the UK (assuming you are here in the UK), to test your preferences and tolerances although to find a great stone here is hard and the cut of the stone will greatly affect the amount of colour you see.
The stone on LAD is amazing by the way.
Chris

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Chris, unfortunately I'm not in UK, but in Austria! I live near Vienna. I've tried to find some oec's here, but it's difficult to find any, and for above 2 carat it's hard to find anything under 20.000 EURO. And the cut is almost always horrible! Therefore I look online at reputable vendors, but there is always a risk I guess.
Now I just can't decide which one to order. They face up almost the same, the one from OWD has better color and clarity, and is more round. The other one from LAD has more cushiony outline, one grade lower color and two grades lower clarity. Price almost the same (if someone looks up the price at OWD it's higher than LAD but Adam offered me a better price.

So ... I have here already late night, and I hope after a good sleep I'm going to know, what I want. Of course a few more options from experienced oec buyers would be nice, when I wake up! :pray: :love:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your opinion. I'm going to ask Adam for some pictures on a white background, good idea. Regarding the oec from Grace, yes, I've seen it, but Adám gave me a way better price than listed on the websites, this is unfortunately above my budget.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Hi dkata, that 2.49 stone is mine, and Erica recently made a comparison video with it and your stone. You can view it if you have Instagram or Facebook and look up loveaffairdiamonds. I think it could help you with color comparison. My diamond is not yellow at all, and from the video, I would agree with everyone that your stone is just a gorgeous cream ivory with some knock out optics. OECs perform totally differently than MRBs and there's a reason why so many PSers go lower In color. I would pick that stone up in a heartbeat and I considered asking/begging Erica to make an exception on a trade-in for that N.

The M that you are considering from OWD looks lovely as well, and nobody has ever been disappointed with Adam's stones. But keep in mind that it's just one color grade higher than the N you originally picked, and it doesn't quite meet the diameter size you're looking for.

If you're ok with the OEC being more cream/ivory, which is probably what the OWD will look like as well, I'd stick with Erica's stone.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sweetpea&babycorn- Thank you for your input! I have seen this video on IG, i liked it a lot. It seems I have found a solution for the VAT thanks to a friend who works at a customs broker agency. I'm going to order it soon.

I've tried to search your threads for a picture of your ring, but somehow I haven't found any of it. Could you please post one? Thank you in advance!!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to tell everyone, that I've ordered the OEC from Erica. I hope to get it in the mid of next week! As soon as I get it, I'm going to take some pictures!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! I hope it's as gorgeous in real life as it looks in the pictures. Bet you're excited now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results