carat
color
clarity

MRB recut- HELP!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello ever helpful PS-ers!
Now that I wear my OEC as my e-ring and have moved my 5-stone to being my RHR, I'm looking to get my MRB from my original e-ring made into an earring (of course, it will need a match)! DH is on board, and we are floating the idea of having my MRB recut.
It's a 1.08ct early MRB (think bearded girdle) that we bought secondhand. Unfortunately, this was in the pre-PS days, and we didn't know diddly squat about "cut is king". It's still a pretty, white, eye clean stone, though.
So (brace yourselves), the table is 63%! I think it scores somewhere in the 5.something mark on the HCA. Obviously, it's sentimental, so selling it is not an option. I know, if we get it recut, it will almost certainly drop to under 1ct. I'm okay w/ this. I'm more concerned with face-up diameter, which is 6.67 right now.
I'm weighing my pros and cons...
If I get it recut, it may not be able to be recut to ideal proportions...just improved upon. I would like to keep it over 6mm across if possible. If it drops under 1ct, as I suspect, it will most likely be cheaper to find a match. Hmm...
My ultimate goal is to have a set of studs in 6-prong martinis that are ~6mm across. Simultaneously, during the setting process, I would like to have custom halo jackets made (anniversary present).
Making it into a pendant is off the table as I rarely wear necklaces. Currently, I usually wear 2 sets of diamond studs: 0.80ctw in my lower piercings and 0.30ctw in my upper piercings, both with screwbacks. I commit the PS sin of wearing them 24/7...rarely taking them off for a clean (~every 2wks...If they're lucky!).
Decisions, decisions!
What would you do?
Has anyone had a recut done before?
Thanks in advance!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So (brace yourselves), the table is 63%... which is 6.67 right now. ....My ultimate goal is to have a set of studs in 6-prong martinis that are ~6mm across.

It appears that your diamond is shallow with a large table (exact proportions needed). If that's the case, there will be a significant loss in weight and diameter. However, I do think 6.0mm diameter or 0.8ct is easily achievable, based on a previous recut story; that stone was really shallow and lost 21% in carat weight and 6% in diameter.

After re-cut, the stone may lose "value". However, if YOU value cut quality over carat weight after a certain diameter/weight threshold, it is a different story.

Usually, deeper stones with steeper angles are good candidates for re-cut.

I think this thread will help
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-recut-analysis-what-would-you-do.219187/#post-3981313?hilit=recut#p3981313']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-recut-analysis-what-would-you-do.219187/#post-3981313?hilit=recut#p3981313[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the exact same situation. A family 1 ct diamond with large table and kind of wonky cut. I sent it to Brain Gavin and they recut it to .80 cts and 6.0 mm exactly. We didn't even add the cost of sending to AGS because he said it wasn't going to make signature H&A level and I had no intent of ever selling it. They wanted to make it excellent without losing too much weight. Best decision ever. I would have never been happy with the diamond otherwise. Certain inclusions might make them say no to a recut at times, but I was happy to take the loss in weight to get a beautiful diamond in the end!

Good luck!!! :appl:

(Oh, and we can help you find a good match for it once it comes back!)

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey, flyingpig!

I do have the specs for reference:

6.64-6.67mm
depth 60.4%
table 63%
pavilion depth 44.6%
pavilion angle 41.7 degrees
crown height 12.9%
crown angle 34.9 degrees
girdle: thin-medium, rough

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMCh|1484527904|4115584 said:
Hey, flyingpig!

6.64-6.67mm
depth 60.4%
table 63%
pavilion depth 44.6%
crown height 12.9%
crown angle 34.9 degrees

I am no cutter and got no experience with recut.
But since the diamond starts with a relatively steep crown angle, I don't think the diameter will be drastically affected, at least according to simple geometry. I expect a better result (in term of minimizing carat weight loss) than in the recut story I linked.

GOOD LUCK

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LadyMCh|1484527904|4115584 said:
Hey, flyingpig!

6.64-6.67mm
depth 60.4%
table 63%
pavilion depth 44.6%
crown height 12.9%
crown angle 34.9 degrees
I would have it evaluated to be recut to a ags0 range 60/60 and a modern ideal cut and compare the predicted results then decide from there.
I would get yelled at by the other trade pros if I speculated on the outcome so I wont.
The would be right because you cant really tell until it is evaluated by an expert in person.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have recut before. I recut OEC and OMC to improve their presence removing the chips and abrasions, but keeping the original shape and non-ideal proportions. I wanted ideal proportions, but the cutter convinced me to "improve" only. This simple improvement took 7% down of the diamond carat weight. As I know, to achieve ideal proportions, diamond looses 20-25% of its weight. Every diamond cutter will analyze first your diamond and will inform you about the expecting carat loss. You can proceed, or not proceed with the reccuting. Recut process also depends of the internal inclusions (diamond clarity). As cleaner is the diamond, as easily to recut.
I paid $350 per carat for recutting, plus insured shipping. In the future, if I decide to recut diamond, this time I will definitely insist to be recut to ideal proportions to justify the price paid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results