shape
carat
color
clarity

Moeny to spend but don't know what to get..Please help?

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
So I currently have some money to spend about $4000 and I am kind of unsure as to what to spend on?
I don't have diamond studs so DH wants me to get studs and I think I would like the studs to have a tcw of 80 of more.
Also I have a yellow gold bezel set diamond pendant that has a 0.35 carat diamond that I almost wear daily. I have been itching to buy a platinum/white gold diamond pendant so that it matches my platinum wedding set. Now that I know I can spend the money I am drawing a blank and can't decide if I want the studs and pendant or go with a 5 stone or a asscher or emerald cut eternity that I have been lusting for recently.

I have looked at BGD, Whiteflash, James Allen etc for diamonds for my projects and currently BDG's and whiteflash's inventory does not look like they have the diamonds I am looking for I/J in color and VS2/SI1 is color as long as they are eye clean(No feathers/dark crystals etc.
Any suggestions are welcome. Please help.

P.S I also recently saw the ID jewelry bezel milgrain studs with un-certified stones and they look gorgeous. I don't know if I want to go with ID Jewelry because the eternity band I recently got did not have ideal cut diamonds like the ACA melee i have in my engagament ring. And I can tell the difference when I wear them together. The ACA's sparkle a lot and the eternity band though very nice seems a little dull.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! What a wonderful problem to have! :naughty: If you go to the estate market you can actually get BOTH if you're okay with uncertificated stones. Here are some that I found on dover (and I bet if you bought more than one thing you could work on the prices even more!)

Here are a few links to the bezel pendants

ETA
http://cgi.ebay.com/14K-WHITE-GOLD-3-4ct-NATURAL-DIAMOND-SOLITIARE-NECKLACE-/400124088573?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item5d294110fd

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/necklaces_n_pendants/estate_060_ctsround_solitaire_diamond_platinum_necklace.html

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/necklaces_n_pendants/estate_090cts_diamond_gold_pendant_necklace.html

and earring options
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/stud_diamond_earrings/estate_100ct_diamond_gold_stud_earrings.html

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/stud_diamond_earrings/estate_075ct_diamond_14k_gold_stud_earrings.html

bezel earrings
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/stud_diamond_earrings/estate_110ct_diamond_platinum_stud_earrings.html

There is a really nice OEC studs on ebay (lower color though but beautiful) if you're interested. Slightly over 1ctw for under 1500.00 and I'm sure I could locate a beautiful pendant on ebay to (OEC or OMC) if you'd like me to try.

Can't wait to see what you get!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for studs. They are just so timeless and classic. I'd check with Whiteflash and let your rep know your specs and go from there. They tend to have a very large selection. I know when diamondseeker was looking for studs recently she commented that WF just seemed to have the most in-house inventory for rounds and it was easiest to find a matched pair there. BGD and JamesAllen are great though if you can find what you want. The size/color combo you are wanting is very popular right now which might explain the low inventory. By letting the vendor you choose know they can be on the lookout and possible have something coming down the pike b/f it ever hits their websites.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Thanks vintagelover229. I have been looking at some estate stuff recently too and I know there are some good deals out there but I am worried that after spending the money and I will not be happy with the product because I am spoiled by pricescope and seeing the ideal cut beauties.

mrssalvo, I am going to contact whiteflash and see what they have.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This might be a weird idea ... but what about spending 2K on some gorgeous five stone shared prong huggies ... and 2K on some bezel studs? Whiteflash could do both ... but I think ID Jewelry or BGD or most any PS vendor could also.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely go for the studs or pendant! And I would absolutely want ideal cut stones for those items. In fact, I received a 1 ct. stone from my mother recently and just couldn't set it without having BG recut it for me! I'll look and see what I can find for you!

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much DiamondSeeker. I appreciate if you all could look for some stones for me. I am scouring James Allen's site to see if I can find well matched J colored stones in the 0.40 to 0.45 carat range. I am looking to be within $2000 for the ear rings. I actually don't mind G,H,I stones as long as they meet my budget with the setting. I am only looking at AGS 000 diamonds right now but am open to GIA stones as well as long as they are GIA tripleX.

Thanks again for helping me

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read your reply right before posting this below and realized you didn't want to spend the whole amount on studs! So I am posting this anyway just in case you decide to do so! I'll look some more, though.

Here are some choices from Brain Gavin:

.52 cts. each, set of 3 H VS2-SI1 to choose from:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/stone-comparison/?compare=Compare+Selected+Stones&stones%5B%5D=AGS-104049771032&stones%5B%5D=AGS-104047811059&stones%5B%5D=AGS-104049771031'

You'd still have some left over after setting to save toward a new pendant!

A great .60 each G VS2-SI1 pair that would be right at the $4000 after setting:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/stone-comparison/?stones%5B%5D=AGS-104049771020&stones%5B%5D=AGS-104045953043&compare=Compare+Selected+Stones

A possible pair from WF, ask them if these are close enough (I think they are):

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=2618034,2618032

OR for pendant stones you can get into the .75-.80 range:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771008

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7869/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, a G VS2 .42-43 ct each pair right at $2000:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/stone-comparison/?compare=Compare+Selected+Stones&stones%5B%5D=AGS-104048388014&stones%5B%5D=AGS-104044735016

These would still allow you to get a similar size stone for a pendant if you wanted!

But I need to look and see what size your e-ring is to see if we are being proportional! (I see that it is 1.29 cts., so I think 1.0 to 1.3 ctw would be a nice size for your studs, and I think .6-.75 would be nice for a pendant. These would be sizes that you could keep a long time and not need to upgrade. I'd really recommend getting a forever pair of studs or pendant rather than planning to upgrade because it just wastes a lot of money having them reset.)

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
DiamondSeeker2006, I love all the options you presented. I checked out all of them and I am thinking may be I should go with diamonds over 50 points. Like you said that would complement my ering better. If I increase my budget for the earrings to $2500 can I get 1 ctw studs with the setting? I would love to give BGD a try and they look to have the most diamonds within 0.6 carats.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just need to add $175 to the price of the diamonds for either martini or 4 prong basket settings at BGD. I think you'd be wise to go ahead and get the long term pair of studs now before prices go up even more. Looks like it might be more like $3000. Then wait and get a forever pendant the next time you have the opportunity.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of these diamonds from BGD?
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...[]=AGS-104049771035&stones[]=AGS-104044735005

The I SI2 looks to be really eye clean even though it has a big cloud and crystal(I love diamonds that have clear crystals for some reason)

Let me know which would suit the I SI2?

Also, Does BGD give any discount for pricescopers? I see their wire discount but I don't see a pricescope discount even if I go to their site from pricescope.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are 2 I VS1's that would go with the I SI2 that you linked, but I really don't think I'd match an SI2 with a VS1. It would be better if there was an SI1, but there's not right now. I'd just go with the 2 VS1's if I wanted two of those 3. But you might call BGD and simply ask if they think it would be a good match.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Ok. I will call bgd tomorrow and find out.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they will be fine! Brian will be able to tell you if the colors are close enough, but my tendency is to agree that you probably won't be able to see the difference between H and I. But if so, you can always just get one of the I VS1's instead. Or there is a nice match in an H VS2 for the H stone. That would probably be my personal choice, the H VS2 and H SI1, but it is more of a mental thing, I'm sure!

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
DiamondSeeker2006, I am only leaning toward that I SI2 and H SI1 because they seem to look good and the total price for both with the setting is within my budget for earrings. If I chose a I VS1 instead of the H SI1 I will be paying a little over 130 bucks and I may end up doing that because $130 in the longer run is not so bad. I know that I may regret later that they are not the same color if I go with the I and the H. But I will see what Brian says tomorrow.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pinkprashu|1303319425|2900990 said:
DiamondSeeker2006, I am only leaning toward that I SI2 and H SI1 because they seem to look good and the total price for both with the setting is within my budget for earrings. If I chose a I VS1 instead of the H SI1 I will be paying a little over 130 bucks and I may end up doing that because $130 in the longer run is not so bad. I know that I may regret later that they are not the same color if I go with the I and the H. But I will see what Brian says tomorrow.

For me, the extra $130 is worth it for the mind clean thing of knowign they are the same color. But I am wierd that way :halo:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone is as picky as I am, but I have learned about myself over time that if I have doubts about something, I had better not do it! But I don't think there is really anything wrong with an H/I pair of earrings. I just wrote you a little note on the other thread regarding a 5 stone band. Just take it as well-intentioned motherly advice and then you can do whatever you think it best for YOU! =)

(Oh, good, I am happy I am not the only one, Dreamer! lol!)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
pinkprashu|1303233142|2900157 said:
P.S I also recently saw the ID jewelry bezel milgrain studs with un-certified stones and they look gorgeous. I don't know if I want to go with ID Jewelry because the eternity band I recently got did not have ideal cut diamonds like the ACA melee i have in my engagament ring. And I can tell the difference when I wear them together. The ACA's sparkle a lot and the eternity band though very nice seems a little dull.
I see that it looks like you're going to go with BGD for the studs, but I just wanted to clarify, if it was my earrings or Circe's earrings you were thinking of, that they're not uncertified. I believe both of us got stones that were ideal-cut, certified (mine were both AGS-000) but non-branded H&A, meaning they were not selected and marketed by a particular vendor, under a particular brand name (like ACA or BGD Signature or Infinity, etc.).

On the color thing, I like the idea of my studs both being the same color (they are J's). I agree that it's definitely a mind-clean thing, but to me, I think $130 for mind-cleanliness is worth it. However, my studs are eye-clean SI1 and VS1 in clarity, and that doesn't bother me at all. I actually have no idea which is which.

Just curious--what kind of setting are you considering for your studs?

*Edited for spelling

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you kittybean. I did look at yours and circe's earrings and I love the milgrain bezel set studs a lot. If you don't mind me asking do you remember if there is was any price difference in going with IDJ for your earring project or did it ending costing about the same as other ps vendors here because they are AGS 000 stone and nonbranded H&A's?

I will getting the classic martini setting for the studs

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
pinkprashu|1303323182|2901043 said:
Thank you kittybean. I did look at yours and circe's earrings and I love the milgrain bezel set studs a lot. If you don't mind me asking do you remember if there is was any price difference in going with IDJ for your earring project or did it ending costing about the same as other ps vendors here because they are AGS 000 stone and nonbranded H&A's?

I will getting the classic martini setting for the studs
I think the classic martini will be perfect! I have kind of a love affair going with bezels, but I very seriously considered martinis because they're so gorgeous.

As far a price comparison, there was a difference between a number of the other popular vendors and IDJ. My earrings ended up being over 15% less than comparable ones might have cost otherwise.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I already have a bezel set diamond pendant and I like it a lot too. I would love to have the studs in a bezel setting with milgrain but that would blow my budget with BGD.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, PP! KittyBean's correct on all counts: my stones were GIA Excellents rather than AGS0's, but they're also unbranded H&As. They made an instant cut-convert out of me. :D I remember doing a lot of comparison shopping before I bought these: ID was much more affordable than any other company for me. I don't remember the exact numbers, sadly, but KittyBean's 15% sounds like it's definitely in the ballpark ....

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Thanks circe. I will see what IDJ can do for me too. They were closed for passover when I called them 2 days ago. I will try to see if luann can pull me the diamonds I want.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I contacted IDJ today and within 30 mins I received a call from Yekutiel and he said he has well matched pair right at 50 pts I SI2 and I SI1 both AGS 000. He said he will sent me Idealscope and ASET images of the stones today. Hopefully I will like them. I will keep you guys posted.

Circe, what did you think of the quality of the diamonds in your studs, are they comparable to the ACA's or BDG diamonds?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results