shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgrained vs Microsetting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Could someone please kindly explain what is the difference between milgrained and microsetting? the glitter of melees never fail to affect my vision.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could very well be wrong but it is my understanding the term microsetting means the tiny melee are set using a microscope. Miligran is done with a tool to give a decorative look to the ring.

here is a ring with miligran...notice the bumpy pattern

tmb_big_DSCN1190.jpg.jpg

here is one with no miligran

tmb_big_DSCN1451.jpg.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
MicroSetting
Millegrain, Milgrain Literally a thousand grains, setting style where a large number of small grains of metal are raised up to create the diamond setting, a form of rim or bezel setting.

Van Graff

Rough_Rock
You are absolutly correct mrssalvo, the milgrain are the tiny balls patern that is done by a rolling tool over the metal and the microsetting is the setting of very small stones most of the times of 0.01 to 0.005ct

You can find milgrain tools of several sizes, the tool have a number stamped and the number or size is by the balls per centimeter that the tools makes in the metal.

Another name for milgrain is "perle" that is used in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results