shape
carat
color
clarity

Melee stones popping out of halo? What the heck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, one of my melee stones in the corner keeps popping out of my new setting! I always notice it after I wash my hands, the last time it fell out in the bath 3 days after I had it replaced!

White gold setting, its only 4 weeks old, and I''m really irritated. Fortunately, the jeweler who made it has a lifetime guarantee on it an is so sweet.

Why is this happening?

Jeannine

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Short answer - cuz it wasn''t done right.

He needs to take care in resetting that stone in the halo - hopefully he can do so with enough metal to secure the stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2006 5:10:22 AM
Author: FireGoddess
Short answer - cuz it wasn''t done right.

He needs to take care in resetting that stone in the halo - hopefully he can do so with enough metal to secure the stone.

ditto. Unless you know your ring got a good whack, stones shouldn''t be just popping out.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, Jeannine, that''s terrible. If it is the same stone popping out, there is definitely a problem. Well, for that matter, none of them should ever pop out, but the jeweler will probably need a little more metal holding that particular stone in place.

Some people seem to have problems with this happening to their pave and some not. So far, I think I''ve been lucky -- over a year and I use the US cleaner a few times a week. At least your jeweler has a lifetime guarantee. My jeweler has the same guarantee as long as I have the ring checked every 6 months. I plan to maintain that schedule so I don''t screw up the guarantee and then lose a stone in a few years.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, it shouldn''t happen, BUT one ought to keep in mind that the fancier something is, the more likely something will break. If you have a very plain car, there are few components that break. If you get one that''s loaded with accessories, there is a far greater chance of something not working.

It is a question not only of workmanship, but of design and complexity. Probably it can be fixed right, but truthfully, it should have been made right to begin with. I hate to see a new piece of jewelery need repair work before it is worn down for several years first. Defective items probably are best replaced with new, unrepaired and properly made ones. You should have the opportunity to won the item, trouble free, for a number of years before stones start popping out.

Lots of luck with getting it made right.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
could it be that the white gold is too soft to hold the stones in place under daily pressure? just thinking out loud here...my knowledge on metals is not that great, but when you said white gold i thought hmmm all that pave with white gold? i would have had platinum.

but no it shouldn''t be happening esp not 4 weeks into it. sorry to hear about it, what a drag!! good luck gal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think he needs to add more metal to secure the stones more. I do have one trouble spot on my halo ring. I sent it back to Quest and they fixed it. So far so good. Perhaps the WG is too soft for a halo?? Not sure.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2006 1:06:11 PM
Author: Mara
could it be that the white gold is too soft to hold the stones in place under daily pressure? just thinking out loud here...my knowledge on metals is not that great, but when you said white gold i thought hmmm all that pave with white gold? i would have had platinum.

but no it shouldn''t be happening esp not 4 weeks into it. sorry to hear about it, what a drag!! good luck gal.
Yeah, my thought process now too...I was cheap..didn''t want to cough up the extra grand to get platinum. Since in the back of my head I''m thinking "someday hubby will agree to an upgrade...oh please".

I swear, I have more issues with my stone & my settings. I''m about ready to just order a plain platinum band and just wear that and be done with stupid diamonds.

Dancing Fire''s tagline haunts me daily..."its easier to find an eye clean stone than a mind clean" or something of the like...that is my diamond LIFE!

Jeannine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results