shape
carat
color
clarity

Martini setting not sitting entirely in the ear?

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of studs from DI that I wore for many years that are in a 3 prong martini setting (1.22 ctw). They sat perfectly "flush" in my ears and I was very happy with them.

This year DH got me a bigger pair (2 ctw) in a 3 prong martini setting from WF. When I got them, I noticed that they did not sit "flush" in my ears enough and stuck out a little bit.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this because my ear piercing is too small? Or maybe the bigger size of the stones doesn't allow it to sit deeper? Or maybe I'm overthinking it a little bit?

I tried to take pictures but it's been raining here so I can't get natural sunlight.

TIA ~

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the size of the stone and the style of the 3-prong martini setting will affect how a particular earring "sits" in your piercings. You've probably gone up a full millimeter in diameter (lucky girl!), so the prongs would spread out more even if you had gotten the earrings from the same jeweler and from the same line of settings... that alone could cause the larger earrings to sit in your piercings differently than the smaller earrings. Plus of course these diamonds are deeper than your other set, if only because they're larger, so any differences in how they sit on the ear will be more evident. If you want the earrings to sit flat against the ear, you'll probably need to get them re-set into a different style of setting - something like a basket setting that is more likely to sit flat on your ear. Before you give up on the earrings though, consider getting a pair of larger backings that might hold your earrings more tightly and securely.

Most people would consider adjusting the piercings to be a pretty drastic way to address the issue. ;)) In fact, quite a few PS'ers avoid 3-prong martini settings, especially in larger sizes, specifically because they are concerned that the settings might stretch their ear holes.

By the way, I have a similar issue with my studs - which at ~.5 ctw are considerably smaller than yours. My studs are set in Whiteflash's 8-prong martini settings, which generally have a shallower base than 3-prong martinis. One of my piercings seems to be a bit smaller than the other - or maybe the scar tissue is a bit thicker. In any event, by the end of the day studs tend to "sit on top of" that piercing a bit more, so that more of the setting is evident, than with the other ear. With such diminutive studs I doubt it's noticeable to anyone but me, so I just put up with it and "tighten" the backing throughout the day when I think of it. :))

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the earring backs are not sitting flush to the back of your ear lobe

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bigger stones do have more depth so they will sit off of the ear a little more. Mine are the 6 prong version and sit nicely on my ear lobes with the help of jumbo backs:

img_14060.jpg

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1481931082|4107817 said:
Both the size of the stone and the style of the 3-prong martini setting will affect how a particular earring "sits" in your piercings. You've probably gone up a full millimeter in diameter (lucky girl!), so the prongs would spread out more even if you had gotten the earrings from the same jeweler and from the same line of settings... that alone could cause the larger earrings to sit in your piercings differently than the smaller earrings. Plus of course these diamonds are deeper than your other set, if only because they're larger, so any differences in how they sit on the ear will be more evident. If you want the earrings to sit flat against the ear, you'll probably need to get them re-set into a different style of setting - something like a basket setting that is more likely to sit flat on your ear. Before you give up on the earrings though, consider getting a pair of larger backings that might hold your earrings more tightly and securely.

Most people would consider adjusting the piercings to be a pretty drastic way to address the issue. ;)) In fact, quite a few PS'ers avoid 3-prong martini settings, especially in larger sizes, specifically because they are concerned that the settings might stretch their ear holes.

By the way, I have a similar issue with my studs - which at ~.5 ctw are considerably smaller than yours. My studs are set in Whiteflash's 8-prong martini settings, which generally have a shallower base than 3-prong martinis. One of my piercings seems to be a bit smaller than the other - or maybe the scar tissue is a bit thicker. In any event, by the end of the day studs tend to "sit on top of" that piercing a bit more, so that more of the setting is evident, than with the other ear. With such diminutive studs I doubt it's noticeable to anyone but me, so I just put up with it and "tighten" the backing throughout the day when I think of it. :))

I have La Pousette backs which help with pushing them back as much as possible in the ear. I am seriously considering resetting the earring in the 6 or 8 prong setting. I guess I was so excited to get the earrings I did not even consider the depth of the stones! :angel:

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1481945954|4107846 said:
Perhaps the earring backs are not sitting flush to the back of your ear lobe

I have La Pousette backs which do help a little to push the earring in to be more flush but it's not enough.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
m-2-b|1482010104|4108009 said:
Bigger stones do have more depth so they will sit off of the ear a little more. Mine are the 6 prong version and sit nicely on my ear lobes with the help of jumbo backs:

m-2-b: I love the way your studs look with the 6 prong! That's what I want mine to look like. Mine stick out just a bit and that bothers me.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
definitely try the jumbo's first. for sure!! I got my six prong martini's also from WF, and they drooped. Jumbo backs in?? Problem completely solved.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
These jumbo ones may help achieve the look you're looking for. I echo that larger stones/settings may not sit "in" your earring hole but these backs will let them sit straight.

img_14081.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
UrsTx|1482071026|4108143 said:
These jumbo ones may help achieve the look you're looking for. I echo that larger stones/settings may not sit "in" your earring hole but these backs will let them sit straight.

There is also an inexpensive product called Bling Dots that works wonders for droopy earrings. At least that is what I am told, since I do not wear earrings.

Old Fashioned Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results