shape
carat
color
clarity

Mark Morrell...Sidestones or No Sidestones???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I posted this in my previous thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/guess-whos-designing-my-setting-im-so-excited.35277/, but it was buried in there, and I figured I'd get more responses with a new thread. So, here it goes:

Side stones or no side stones, that is the question...

Mark Morrell is designing my engagement ring (I'm so excited)! At this point I am undecided as to whether I want side stones or not. I want the ring to look as fluid and rounded as possible, and I’m afraid that although I love the look of side stones, the ring might loose some of its fluidity if we add them. As far as type of side stones, if we add them, I like channel set rounds (as long as there isn't a lot of space between the stones) and I also like the look of the bead set rounds used in some of the work posted on Mark Morrell's website. The side stones would only go halfway down the shank, and would not taper. Also, I love the look of Mark's plain platinum work, but I’m concerned about the ring (over time) losing that amazing level of polish that he achieves. With side stones, there is less exposed metal (i.e. less scratched platinum to drive me crazy!).

When deciding whether or not to use side stones, we also need to take into account what kind of wedding band I would get to go with each option. If we go with an engagement ring with side stones, we would probably have a wedding band custom made to match (diamonds the same size, but ring width smaller). Preferably they would sit flush, but a very small gap doesn’t bother me. If we go with a plain platinum setting, I would get a very thin micropave wedding band. Or, what about using bead set round side stones and pairing it with a micropave wedding band? Would that match?

I guess we also need to take into account my small finger size (4), and how much room the two rings will take up together on it (there is about 10 – 11 mm of space available on my ring finger). The micropave wedding band would definitely take up less space than a custom matching band.

So, as far as what to do about side stones, I would appreciate any opinions!!! Thanks!
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
no sidestones.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No sidestones. You like the clean fluid look of MM, from what I have read from your posts. I know it''s hard for you to make a decision, but that''s the way you are leaning.
2.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I agree - no sidestones to keep the fluid lines of a MWM ring.

But it''s your ring, so try on heaps of different styles and see which one you like
9.gif

The rings that Val posted in your other thread with ''rubbed-over'' sidestones would suit a MWM ring as it doesn''t detract from the smooth lines of the ring.

Have fun deciding what you want!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no side stones. his designs speak for themselves: classy, fluid, and clean.

if you feel the need for extra glitter, why not add them to the wedding band? perhaps just a few, more like star dust...... a band with too many diamonds could over power your e-ring which i think is going to be gorgeous all by its lonesome.

peace,,movie zombie

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2005 7:58:23 PM
Author: jazmine
Can you describe the center stone?

My center stone is the one pictured in my avatar. Here are the specs:

Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.278
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 60.3
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 42.7
Girdle: Thin to Medium-Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 7.05-7.08X4.26

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Silly me...It would help if I described what the e-ring will look like for those that haven''t read my first thread (I pretty much cut and pasted the majority of the first post in this thread from my original thread). Basically, it will be similar to the Vatche X-Prong, with more of a rounded band. Also, I would like the shank to swoop in towards the diamond! There''s a more detailed description in the original thread, with pictures (for those that haven''t seen it, if you''re interested). But, that''s basically it!
9.gif

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too vote no side stones. Mark Morrell does such fabulous metal work, you should let it be a major feature of the ring. I also chose Mark for the wonderful flow of his rings. My design is a variation on the x-prong, but because it celebrates 27 years of marriage rather than an engagement, I chose to have the "wedding bands" be part of the ring itself. So there''s a lot of metal (about 9mm) and I love looking at the platinum as much as the diamond (I too have an RB).

I''ve been wearing the ring for 3 months, have it on for pretty much everything, and the back shows a little dullness but the front still shines up a storm. The metal on top of the finger doesn''t take the abuse the back does. I figure that if at some point the front starts to look a little dull, I''ll have someone polish it (Mark only does polishing for his local customers so I''ll need to find someone close to home).

So I vote go with the flow and skip the side stones.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood, can you post a pic of your ring, I''m sure kerbear would love to see it. I know I would!!
1.gif

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your insight rainwood! I''m glad to hear that your ring still has that awesome polish! Kaleigh is right, I would love to see pictures!
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, want to see pictures of all 9mm!

peace,movie zombie

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
no sidestones in my opinion

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His pieces are such works of art in and of themselves that I would probably go with no sidestones as well. That type of custom made mounting will stand alone very well. I would think about an eternity wedding band though if I used no sidestones! Can''t wait to see some preliminary pictures of the style you are thinking about.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i voted in your other thread but will again here. I say no sidestones too. i wear a size 3.5-4 and understand what''s it''s like to have little finger real estate
2.gif
you''ve got a gorgeous stone, i''d let it stand alone surrounded by all the yummy MM platinum and do some sort of diamond wedding band.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Mark''s work stands magnificently alone without sidestones, and you have tiny fingers and a beautiful diamond. Let it make it''s own statement.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I just found out about MM by reading your post and went to his website . . . just blown away! You are so lucky. I''m with the no sidestones group. You''re having a true artist craft your ring . . . I vote to let his metal work shine and let your beautiful diamond stand out. It will be the most beautiful ring you''ve seen in your life. It won''t need sidestones . . .

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It is up to you and I would certainly ask for MM''s opinion as he may have some thoughts. I would for my taste not have sidestones if I were to get one of his rings, to me that would negate the point of having a MM ring. JMO.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with most everyone is saying no sidestones. MM may have a suggestion where they would work though.... However he makes platinum look liquid, your stone and his setting probably wont need anything else. Matas idea to ask him is great, you never know what creation he could have in his head.

how exciting for you!

anika

Shiny_Rock
With your nice smallfingers, I think that stone is going to look impressive on its own and I think with the reputation of MM pieces, I''d say go solo and have a nice diamond wedding band.
If you want more bling, then you could consider 3 stone which is still quite fluid.

Anika.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry about not responding earlier. I only had time to post before heading out to dinner.

I''m planning to start a thread once I''ve figured out the pictures side of things because I do want to thank everyone here. It was a Pricescope process all the way (Whiteflash, MWM, AGA appraisal).

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Perfect poll subject. How many vote no? And then how many vote....NO!!!?

I'm on the NO team. Especially learning of your itsy bitsy tweeny weenie fingers. You need the use the "REAL ESTATE" as Mrssalvo pointed out...to showcase the fluidity. If you cover the acreage you've got with diamonds... there will be no need to take up valuable Mark Morell bench time... you can just order your ring from...well...anywhere.
2.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
kerbear...I''m trying like crazy to upload a photo of my MM soliataire with MM plain wedding band, but my computer is not cooperating. Actually, the computer''s fine...I just have no idea how to upload anything!!! I do want to let you know that I''ve had my e-ring for 2 years and the wedding pand for a little over 1 year...and they''re still like liquid. His work is to die for...and I can''t wait to see what you end up with. I also want to point out that while the prongs and the details of his rings look very subsantial in the close up photos, the rings themselves are surprisingly "dainty" looking -- yet incredibly strong and secure! Mine is quite similar to the "heartthrob" under his recent work. and the band was made to fit into it. While sometimes I''d love the sparkle of an eternity band...I simply adore all simple classic look of my set just the way it is! I have planted the seed for the 10 year anniversary...It''s always nice to have another surprise in the form of diamonds to look forward to!!! That one will go on my right hand!!!

klr
30.gif
prongs

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Heart prongs, I would LOVE to see your rings!
36.gif

What part of attaching a picture are you having trouble with? Maybe if you let us know, we might be able to help you. Here is what I do: First, I open my picture with paint. Then, I click on file on the drop down menu on upper left hand corner and save as. Then, I click on the save as type drop down menu, and save as a JPEG. Right above that is where you type in your file name. You have to make sure it is unique (if someone else has used that name already you can''t upload your photo). I like to use a combination of numbers at the end of the name (that usually helps)! Then I hit save. Then, after I type my post, I hit attach file. This brings up a small window. I hit the browse button, find my file (make sure you remember where you saved it!), and double click it. Then I hit the upload button, and viola, my picture is posted! Hopefully that helps!
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I vote for no side stones as well, especially since you have a small finger. Whatever way you go I am sure it will be fantastic though, and I cannot wait to see it
36.gif

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I want to thank all of you that offered your opinions! Everyone here has such great taste, so I knew you would be able to help me!
1.gif

Now for an update...Mark received our info on Monday! My boyfriend spoke with him yesterday, and he said that he would begin working on my ring at the end of this week or the beginning of next week!

Mark's recommendation is to go without side stones (which I had pretty much decided on prior to my boyfriend speaking with him, with help from all of you)!

I'll keep you posted with any updates!
9.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Yippy, Yippy, Yippy. That is great news.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results