shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an old mine cut fancy yellow diamond

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Definitely have the stone graded by GIA before purchasing. An untreated earth-mined 1.5+ ct FIY or FVY old mine will be significantly more than $6-7k. However, based on the photos you posted, it looks like you prefer to have more brown, which is good for your budget. If you are able to obtain more photos, please request the photos be taken against a pure white background. Do you have other examples of color(s) you like? What aspects make you feel like a diamond is too "new"?

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Well, it's hard to tell. I like antique jewelry and have always enjoyed old styles of cutting for diamonds : old mine cut and rose cut.
I like their subdued, understated way of sparkling, their awkward shapes, and the fact that none looks exactly like another one.
It was the first time I saw the combination of yellow color and antique cutting, so I was seduced.

On another hand, I am well aware that moden cutters can very well mimic old cutting styles today, and that the color may be treated, or the stone man made. Even if I think the probability is minor, I feel the danger !

I'll definitely try to get more pictures on a white background, because in my memory, the yellow doesn't have that brownish mask that the pictures on black background show.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Yes I'll contact Grace to see if she can find something for me, closer to what I'm looking for. Somehow, the OEC don't attract me quite as much as the OM cushions.
Thank you to all for your help anyway !

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Here are 3 additional pictures taken by the shop owner on a clear background, but they are fuzzy.

image3_18.jpg
image2_22.jpg
image1_36.jpg

Actually I didn't remember that the stone was so brownish. And this is confirmed by the "lab" (?) which doesn't provide many interesting informations, but grades it as "fancy orangy brown" ! No yellow at all !

cert_0.jpg

Not that I trust this lab much. I find that the sketches don't really match the stone itself, which for instance has an apen culet, as one can see in the first picture I posted when I started this thread, and this open culet doesn't show on the "cert". The proportions don't seem to fit either. What do you think ??? :???:

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I think you are going to have to take a step back and look at what is realistic for your situation and what you want the most.

When you want something nonstandard, you probably either have to pay a premium for it or be willing to compromise. If I understand this thread properly, you are hoping to pay under $7000 for:

-An untreated, natural fancy colored diamond (that isn't brown)
-An antique stone
-An unusual cut
-Over 1.5 ct weight

I don't know much about shopping for antique or preloved diamonds, but I honestly don't see how you're going to be able to get all of these things within your price range, especially if you want a stone of that size/weight. Which of these factors is most important to you? What other options would you consider exploring?

I agree with other posters who suggest you contact reputable vendors and ask them to find something for you. They have means of locating stones that consumers don't. I don't mean to sound like a shill for http://www.leibish.com, but I think their customer service is great and FCDs are their bread and butter. It can't hurt to give them your budget and see if they can help you. Seems like you've already looked into DBL. James Allen might be able to help as well, even though they don't specialize in FCDs.

I would not, not, not, not purchase a fancy colored diamond that lacks a GIA report. And from what I recall, GIA will not grade stones that are already set in jewelry.

It's never fun to feel like you've got to cut corners when it comes to something you're really excited about :( But that doesn't mean you can't narrow down your expectations and find something awesome that you really love. Good luck!!

gouloute

Rough_Rock
This is sound advice.
I'll wait a bit, investigate around and think it twice before I make my decision.
Thanks a lot !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results