shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an OEC - Please provide your expert opinion

globaltravel

Rough_Rock
Dear OEC experts,

I am looking for a warm OEC in the 2-3ct range. Love the big petal facets of the OEC / AVR. Ran across these options and wanted your opinions

2.91 L VS1 from Jewels by Grace - looks very pretty, great spread, price seems decent relative to comparables I saw at OWD etc. Videos are hard to use to tell clearly the performance of the diamond. Don't love the trade up requiring 2x spend.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...d-european-cut-diamond-gia-l-vs1#.WK1GtG996po

2.07 AVR L VS2 - this one I have seen in person and love the pink body hue it has. Somewhat on the small size so the faceting does not show up as well and as differentiated from MRB as when you get up to the 3ct range. Also, fairly big premium paid for the AVR relative to generic OEC but love the Lifetime upgrade policy - take in a sold value and can trade for equal or higher value!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-...S-L-VS1-diamond-stock-11863-cert-104069991005

Another AVR 2.10 O VVS1 - have not seen in person. Isn't this odd that this stone does not qualify for GOG's Lifetime upgrade? I thought all their specialty cuts had this.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-...-O-VVS1-diamond-stock-15791-cert-104091490006

3.02 Q VSI from GOG - this is an unusual diamond. It seems from the facet pattern like an OEC. Here lower color and spread but higher price than JbG OEC and no Lifetime upgrade applies either

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.02-Round-G-GIA-Q-VS1-diamond-stock-12963-cert-1162863967

Would greatly appreciate your input here!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
globaltravel|1487752717|4132044 said:
Dear OEC experts,

I am looking for a warm OEC in the 2-3ct range. Love the big petal facets of the OEC / AVR. Ran across these options and wanted your opinions

2.91 L VS1 from Jewels by Grace - looks very pretty, great spread, price seems decent relative to comparables I saw at OWD etc. Videos are hard to use to tell clearly the performance of the diamond. Don't love the trade up requiring 2x spend.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...d-european-cut-diamond-gia-l-vs1#.WK1GtG996po

2.07 AVR L VS2 - this one I have seen in person and love the pink body hue it has. Somewhat on the small size so the faceting does not show up as well and as differentiated from MRB as when you get up to the 3ct range. Also, fairly big premium paid for the AVR relative to generic OEC but love the Lifetime upgrade policy - take in a sold value and can trade for equal or higher value!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-...S-L-VS1-diamond-stock-11863-cert-104069991005

Another AVR 2.10 O VVS1 - have not seen in person. Isn't this odd that this stone does not qualify for GOG's Lifetime upgrade? I thought all their specialty cuts had this.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-...-O-VVS1-diamond-stock-15791-cert-104091490006

3.02 Q VSI from GOG - this is an unusual diamond. It seems from the facet pattern like an OEC. Here lower color and spread but higher price than JbG OEC and no Lifetime upgrade applies either

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.02-Round-G-GIA-Q-VS1-diamond-stock-12963-cert-1162863967

Would greatly appreciate your input here!

No expert, but have spent a TON of time staring at and comparing various OEC's.

I don't care for the 2.91 because I feel like the center is dead/windowing. If you watch the central facets in the video, they are all off at the same time, and almost never reflect colors back. I prefer lively, on/off flower petals like in this stone:

https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/216ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/i-kRpQGc7/A

I, too, have seen the 2.07 brown-tinted AVR and am absolutely in love with it. I have multiple videos and photos on my phone that I look at all the time. If it had been yellow-tinted instead of brown, I would have swiped it in an instant! I'd still buy it in a heartbeat if I had the budget and the project wasn't my e-ring! I love its larger table and the rounded-off petals - very charming.

As for the 2.1 O, I believe that one doesn't have the usual policies included because it was a recut order for a customer that -in the end- didn't suit them regarding color. I think it's a beautiful stone, though. This one's inner facets are bordering on what I think of as "pie slice" territory, so I would probably opt for the 2.07 over this one, but that's purely personal aesthetic. You couldn't go wrong with either of the AVR's.

The 3.02... The table is much too large for me, and the faceting and outline too wonky. But many many people find those imperfections charming and lovely. You may be one of them...? It also only scored a "good" on cut, which would immediately take it out of the running for me.

Out of the ones you posted I would immediately, with no hesitation, take the 2.07. Close second runner up would be the 2.1. Honestly, the other two wouldn't even be contenders for me.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you had a look at the OEC Shelby is selling in Preloved? It's pretty spectacular and within the price range you're looking at although it might be too high a colour looking at the range you're considering?

globaltravel

Rough_Rock
Hi thanks for the input! Sorry for the delay given timezones

Razzledazzle: I also liked the 2.07 L but I am looking towards the 3ct range / 9mm spread. I already have a 7.6mm Asscher so going to 8mm seems to be a bit too similar. I personally love the pink / brown tint! I just looked again and it looks like the 2.07 is gone since the diamond doesn't appear on the search anymore and the link now shows "diamond not found". I see a little what you mean about the more lively 2.16 H you sent the link for. However, it is way above my budget and I am indeed looking for something warmer (again to be different than G coloured Asscher).

Foxinsox: thanks for the link to Shelby's posting. Looks nice though per above would love to be closer to the 9mm range and happy to go warmer than a K to get that in this budget range. Also, a bit confusing as the Diamond bistro seems to show the old setting but the Preloved thread shows the newer CvB setting which I actually don't like as much...looking for simple and very open view of the diamond if set

LLJsmom: this is beautiful indeed! Really very good spread also for 2.28ct and the pictures linked to LoveAffairDiamonds are lovely. Still leaning towards 9mm if I can find something good.

Honestly, I can't tell if the 2.91 from JbG is dull / dead as Razzledazzle says or if the photography is just not done in as nice a setting (sun, under trees) as the 2.16 H or the 2.28 posted by soxfan. Clearly I see a difference but the photo settings are very different and the video quality is honestly just so so (compared to GOG's magnificent videos!). Grace say that the 2.91 is very lively and colourful - do any of you (and other Pricescopers) have experience with Grace and would you trust her statement like that (or rather being positive about her own inventory?)

Any suggestions of other options versus the 2.91?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was the one who had considered the 2.1 O AVR and wanted to clarify that I thought the cut was absolutely beautiful...exactly what I wanted in terms of cut. However, there are two other AV stones I am interested in, and I think I may go to an AVC instead for my light yellow. I just didn't want anyone to think I thought there was anything wrong with that stone. I just decided to diversify in terms of shape and not do another AVR for light yellow. I definitely understand the desire for as large a stone as possible, though!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there anything in Old World Diamond's inventory that suits your requirements? Adam might be able to pull some good options for you?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like Grace's video. I would ask her to put it in a temporary holder and put it on a finger and rock the stone around. Tilting it left and right doesn't tell me much. I would want a video of the stone on a hand and also indoors.

I would also ask Adam at OWD to pull some stones too. Only specify parameters, color range, clarity range and price. Don't pick the stone yourself. Ask him to pull the most beautiful lively stones in your price range for you to choose from. I just trust him because I bought my stone through him. I have seen his favorite show and they were usually mine too.

I have met Grace and I do trust her eye. So instead I would ask her to pick her favorites so you can see what SHE considers beautiful. Then use that as a baseline to compare other stones to.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I and a couple other PSers will be seeing Grace in a couple of weeks. If you want to tell us your specs, we can do a search and take videos for you, and see if we find stones that we all agree on. Let me know. We can share these with you off PS because it does not allow YouTube links. You can find me on loupetroop as daftrocker. Just send me an email.

globaltravel

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh, LLJsmom you are so sweet with your suggestions and offer to help!

I was going to pay for the 2.91 L from JbG and have her send it to me to see in person end of this coming week when I am on a business trip to the US first week of March. But, am now having second thoughts based on comments from all of you...

I emailed her to ask for the hand worn videos per your suggestion

I have emailed Adam at OWD also. Specs I sent him in case any of you have ideas:

I am looking for a really superbly cut / lively, beautiful performing OEC and specs of:

1. In the 9-9.5mm range,
2. warm color K-M would be my target
3. VS2 clarity (no point in paying premium for VVS and would not go to SI unless really eye clean - I am pretty visually detail oriented so tend to see inclusions readily)
4. am very okay with fluorescence so long as no milkiness in any light situation
5. Also much prefer the rounded "flower petal" facets to the pointier ones

Would like to below $17,500 ideally but can be a little flexible for the perfect stone

I am guessing timing will not work to fix on something this trip and may need to wait until my next trip to the US in June...

If you were me, would you still have the 2.91 L sent to see in person or do a bit more investigation?

Many thanks!!

globaltravel

Rough_Rock
Btw: my apologies to only reply to LLJsmom - just a little overwhelmed by her kind offer

foxinsox: following both yours and LLJsmom's advice to reach out to OWD. Let's see what Adam comes back with on Monday

Diamondseeker: what light yellow AVC are you looking at?! I am seriously also considering the 3.01 N - I love the elongated cushion shape and may venture out to 18kt yellow gold for the first time ever :) Btw: I love your new antique Asscher - wow!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be late to the game...

1. You didnt say which stone of the 3 it is. I like the middle one the best.

2. The stone from Adam looks nice in the video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results