shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think??

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Hi Guys!!
I'm so excited that i've made a huge step forward in designing my rose cut pear setting!!
David Klass has just sent me some photos of the wax model he made of my recent design and i would love to hear your thoughts on it!!

Here's the previously very long thread (if you want to refresh your memories) :appl: :appl:

i am SOOOO excited, the wax model looks 100000x better than the CAD. the entire ring looks so dainty and i love the added tiny split shank.
i've also removed the struts from my previous design and added a peek-a-boo diamond under the gallery. let me know what you think!

Here's the stone:
The diamond is a 2.53ct Pear-Shaped Rose Cut Diamond, GIA K, VS2
Measures 13.3 x 8.38 x 3.31mm
http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/253ct-Vintage-Pear-Shaped-Rose/

6779.png

20141009_094603.jpg

20141009_094607.jpg

20141009_094610.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Re: Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think

some more pictures of the wax model.
there's a small shelf at the bottom (inside the halo) that will help hold the rose cut diamond in place.

20141009_094614.jpg

20141009_094621.jpg

20141009_094624.jpg

20141009_094639.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

looks like great finger coverage, i cant wait to see the real deal!!

20141009_094707.jpg

20141009_094721.jpg

20141009_094731.jpg

20141009_094738.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, I can see why you are so excited! It's going to be a stunning ring.
David seems to work fast...

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

Ooooo, that's going to be a fantastic ring!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As usual, I am on pins and needles to see this completed. Looking good so far! :appl: :appl: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you ask ...
A rose cut being a window is one thing you have insisted you don't mind, but to put a bar of metal in the middle of the window is a really bad idea ... IMO.

I'd get rid of the part of the ring that is visible under the stone.
The band can stop where it meets the bezel.

I'd rather have solid reflective white metal under rosie (with some air space between the bottom of rose and the metal) to facilitate cleaning, or even an unbroken view of my finger than see a bar of metal in the middle of my diamond. :blackeye:

The pretty scroll work visible in the side view will not be visible in the top view.
It will just look like glass over a bar of metal.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1412879466|3764942 said:
Since you ask ...
I'd rather have solid reflective white metal under rosie (with some air space between the bottom of rose and the metal) to facilitate cleaning, or even an unbroken view of my finger than see part of the ring in the middle of my diamond. :blackeye:

is there a way to put a reflective metal under without it looking bulky and out of place? i still want a nice looking gallery and i cant imagine a sheet of metal would look nice.

i thought about removing the gallery all together, but then i won't be able to achieve that nice curvature at the split shank part (where it raises off the finger).
i can't take away the "hooks" and peek-a-boo diamond without the ring way too big for the finger. do you have a better suggestion on keeping the height and ring/finger size without having the gallery design? i dont think i want the diamond to sit flush to my skin. i prefer to have it raised up a little.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm with Kenny on this. For any other cut of diamond, I think that would be pretty, but yeah, it'll look like a bar of metal under the stone.

Which is kind of what we've been talking about the whole time in regards to setting a rose cut - you see right through it, so that's why everyone was pushing for more metal. Or no metal. But I highly doubt you're going to like the look of this on your hand.

I'm adding some pictures of profiles that show that you don't have to had a circle of metal for a ring to work, that sometimes metal works. Also, here is a pretty gallery. It doesn't have to be a solid sheet of metal.

_23071.jpg

7909364.jpg

_23072.jpg

4290524.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1412879902|3764948 said:
Since you ask ...
I'd rather have solid reflective white metal under rosie (with some air space between the bottom of rose and the metal) to facilitate cleaning, or even an unbroken view of my finger than see part of the ring in the middle of my diamond. :blackeye:

is there a way to put a reflective metal under without it looking bulky and out of place? i still want a nice looking gallery and i cant imagine a sheet of metal would look nice.

You won't see the 'sheet of metal' any more than you see the mirror when you look at a mirror.

You see whatever the mirror is reflecting.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1412882423|3764962 said:
You won't see the 'sheet of metal' any more than you see the mirror when you look at a mirror.

no i get that part, it'll look perfect from top down. i'm asking how it would look from the side. when i look at the gallery.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1412882244|3764960 said:
I'm with Kenny on this. For any other cut of diamond, I think that would be pretty, but yeah, it'll look like a bar of metal under the stone.

Which is kind of what we've been talking about the whole time in regards to setting a rose cut - you see right through it, so that's why everyone was pushing for more metal. Or no metal. But I highly doubt you're going to like the look of this on your hand.

I'm adding some pictures of profiles that show that you don't have to had a circle of metal for a ring to work, that sometimes metal works. Also, here is a pretty gallery. It doesn't have to be a solid sheet of metal.

these are all feasible methods...but tbh...none of them look very flattering. or it's just simply not my taste.

that last picture with the patterned bottom would work, but won't you still see partial metal partial finger under the ring? it's not 100% coverage anyways. and that will make the ring look very bulky and im looking for a dainty look.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1412882551|3764965 said:
kenny|1412882423|3764962 said:

no i get that part, it'll look perfect from top down. i'm asking how it would look from the side. when i look at the gallery.

It could look like this if you put metalwork under the reflective flat 'sheet'.

screen_shot_2014-10-09_at_12.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would have put in more of a gallery (like the 3rd ring FC posted). I wouldn't want to stare at my finger...or a bar going across
my stone.

Did you mean to go down to 4 prongs? The cads look like they have 6 but the wax looks like only 4.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, lets get a few things figured out. First of all, I'm going to attach some pictures to this post.

The gallery and the profile are two different parts of the ring. Profile is the ring from the side. The gallery is the underside of the ring.

So with what you have going on right now, you've paid plenty of attention to the profile, and no attention to the gallery, and because it is a rose cut, it's actually pretty important because that's what you see when you look at the ring flat on. If you go look at Grace's other rose cut, it has nothing under the center stone, so the texture and color under the stone is uniform. You've talked about it being ok that you see skin through the diamond, and we tried to talk you into doing a solid piece of metal underneath. Now, you have a metal bar and two chunks of skin to look at, and it's not going to be pretty. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to show you what it will look like.

leon_purple_sapphire.jpg

gabriel_and_co_other.jpg

rose_cut_grace.jpg

rose_cut_grace3.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1412886985|3765007 said:
Ok, lets get a few things figured out. First of all, I'm going to attach some pictures to this post.

The gallery and the profile are two different parts of the ring. Profile is the ring from the side. The gallery is the underside of the ring.

So with what you have going on right now, you've paid plenty of attention to the profile, and no attention to the gallery, and because it is a rose cut, it's actually pretty important because that's what you see when you look at the ring flat on. If you go look at Grace's other rose cut, it has nothing under the center stone, so the texture and color under the stone is uniform. You've talked about it being ok that you see skin through the diamond, and we tried to talk you into doing a solid piece of metal underneath. Now, you have a metal bar and two chunks of skin to look at, and it's not going to be pretty. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to show you what it will look like.

now we're talking!!!

i did sketch something up in the past few minutes to see if it would be a feasible solution. but now that i see leon's ring mine looks overly complicated and probably need some major simplification.

the gallery of the leon mege ring, I LOVE!
If i do something like that, will it be sufficient enough metal to reflect light and block my finger?

_459.png

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it would let enough light in the way you are thinking. This singlestone rose cut looks like it has some scroll work going on, or so it appears (there is not an underside shot). Looks like you can see some of the metal reflecting through the stone when viewing from the top, but I like it.

single_stone_big_rose_cut.jpg

single_stone_big_rose_cut_0.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Someone on Pricescope posted a hand shot of the previously posted SS rose cut; I'll try and find it.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't say if this is the exact same setting. This rose cut was reportedly 4 carats, but it looks almost identical.

ss_4_ct_rose_cut.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm glad you like the Mege ring! Yes, what you sketched is more of the idea, but likely too complex for the size of the stone. I spent the last 15 minutes or so screwing around with my gems and a ring. I had totally forgotten about it's existence, but I found my 24ct blue topaz that has a massive window in the middle of it. Now, it's topaz, so the RI is much lower than diamond, but the principle is the same. So keep this in mind when you're thinking about designs.

Sorry the lighting is horrid. I was using fluorescent lights and didn't pay any attention to my white balance.

topaz_and_band.jpg

topaz_and_band2.jpg

topaz_and_band3.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you ask ...
A rose cut being a window is one thing you have insisted you don't mind, but to put a bar of metal in the middle of the window is a really bad idea ... IMO.

I'd get rid of the part of the ring that is visible under the stone.
The band can stop where it meets the bezel.

I'd rather have solid reflective white metal under rosie (with some air space between the bottom of rose and the metal) to facilitate cleaning, or even an unbroken view of my finger than see a bar of metal in the middle of my diamond. :blackeye:

The pretty scroll work visible in the side view will not be visible in the top view.
It will just look like glass over a bar of metal.

This.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

UPDATE:

Email from David Klass:

Hi Jennifer,
Your stone was dropped off safely today. It looks beautiful and it has a of brilliance and fire. You do not need any type of back plate or more metal behind the stone. It will take away from its beauty and shine. You will also need access to be able to clean the stone easily, as anything stuck on the back will take away from the spark. Here is the look in the wax model we have. The stone will sit better once I can open the prongs. The wax is a blue and even with that bright color the small under cross shank is not showing well through the stone. Once it is white you will be fine if you are worried about seeing it there.
Thanks David

without any further ado...

rosewax1.jpg

20141016_081601.jpg

20141016_081624.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

two more:

rosewax.jpg

20141016_081631.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

well shoot that looks great in the setting, but i still agree with everyone that the bar in the middle of the stone will, at least in some lighting situations, look odd.

back when we were originally talking about this, back in CAD form, there was the idea of a basket thats the size of the halo, directly under it. if you left the split shank as is, and did a designed basket, you wouldnt need the bar. Your wedding ring wouldnt sit flush, but you said you were fine with it before,so......

anyways, to help visualize, i copied one of the photos above, and then altered it terribly with MS paint

_23280.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm not sure what you're looking for in response to the update. Do YOU like the way it looks? Do YOU want your engagement ring to look like that?

For the record, I think that David is a great guy and an excellent vendor, I'm just confused as to what you want from us at this point? Do you want to start all over again with CADs? Do you like it the way it is? I have to say that you've done everything you wanted from the very beginning, against advice from just about everyone, so I'm not really sure what you're looking for at this point?

(I'm not trying to be rude, just genuinely confused.)

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

Hi there- how do you feel about it? That is the beauty of inserting the actual stone into the wax model, you have time to re design if you aren't happy. Looking forward to your update!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1413425705|3767707 said:
well shoot that looks great in the setting, but i still agree with everyone that the bar in the middle of the stone will, at least in some lighting situations, look odd.

back when we were originally talking about this, back in CAD form, there was the idea of a basket thats the size of the halo, directly under it. if you left the split shank as is, and did a designed basket, you wouldnt need the bar. Your wedding ring wouldnt sit flush, but you said you were fine with it before,so......

anyways, to help visualize, i copied one of the photos above, and then altered it terribly with MS paint
Thanks Neil, given the size of this diamond, i feel like if all i have is a basket like that, it would look more like a cocktail ring as opposed to an ering and i dont think i'll like it.

FrekeChild|1413531805|3768407 said:
I'm not sure what you're looking for in response to the update. Do YOU like the way it looks? Do YOU want your engagement ring to look like that?

For the record, I think that David is a great guy and an excellent vendor, I'm just confused as to what you want from us at this point? Do you want to start all over again with CADs? Do you like it the way it is? I have to say that you've done everything you wanted from the very beginning, against advice from just about everyone, so I'm not really sure what you're looking for at this point?

(I'm not trying to be rude, just genuinely confused.)

totally valid question. i know people is concerned with that bar underneath the ring and how it would look weird seeing that.
but from the wax model pictures, it seems like the diamond somehow magnified the bar and it's actually filling up most of the window under the diamond. which looks totally fine to me.

the only thing that bothers me slightly is this tiny triangle of a window near the tip of the diamond that sees straight through to my finger. (i kinda tried to demonstrate it in the comparison picture below)

i guess the only thing that would help me is...how do i block off that triangle without altering too much of the current design?
And i'm even thinking that if i put a wedding band next to my ring that section would pretty much look fine.

_468.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are you planning on wearing the ring with the pear pointed towards you or away from you? Ask them to put a band on with it and take a pic. I don't know if you want pave or plain or something else entirely, but they should be able to put something under there so you can get an idea of what it looks like!

starrylight

Shiny_Rock

window1.png
Just to point out the potential window that might bother you from another angle.

I feel as if I've come across as too negative, so I'll just add the disclaimer of: No one here wants to rain on your parade, we all just want to help you make the the best informed decision for you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

starrylight|1413634403|3768992 said:
I feel as if I've come across as too negative, so I'll just add the disclaimer of: No one here wants to rain on your parade, we all just want to help you make the the best informed decision for you.
I want to reiterate this point too. I've had my engagement ring reset twice and I'm still not happy with it (relatively simple solitaire settings, first was stock, second was custom), and it's incredibly disheartening because it's my engagement ring, you know? I don't remember the last time I wore it, and that's lame. I don't want anyone else to go through what I've been through! (And I've been married for almost 5 years now, so....I've had it for a while now.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results