shape
carat
color
clarity

Join me on my first custom design - would love your input!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!! :wavey:

Come and join me on my journey to finding my dream setting.

I have seen so many rings here on pricescope that I have adored. I have found it very difficult to really pin down what it is that I really want.

Since I got my upgraded RB in April, I have had so many changes in my life this year I did not want to rush this part.

So I have been looking and trying styles on and tried to work out what truly makes me gasp and my heart sing! :love: :love: :love: I also wanted to protect my stone. My current setting is very high, my choice, I love a high setting. However, I have never owned a diamond this size and never realized how vulnerable it would make it. So I decided a bezel was a must and a lower setting.

I finally settled on Art Deco styling. It is an era that fascinates me and I love the symmetry and shapes. I like simplicity, I like shapes within shapes. I truly think that is why I am so drawn to 4 claw settings because it makes my RB square.

I adore asschers. I looked at possibly changing my stone, but after careful consideration, I truly I don’t want to. I love my stone. I adore sparkle over flash and more importantly I do not want to lose size. I like where I am at.

So I started to explore how deco setting make a round stone change shape.
I will post below the pictures from my inspiration file. A lot of these were posted by Ps’ers and some of them are actual Ps’ers rings. I thank you all for the inspiration that you gave me. A special shout out to Lil Misfit whose ring is at the centre of my (possible) design and well as Gyspy’s own ring and her RHR search which started my fascination for this type of setting. :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I initially contacted JBeG and was seriously considering the Julia bezel and also looked at the Bella in a bezel. I then decided that I wanted a different shaped bezel. I just want to say how wonderful it was to deal with these lovely ladies. They are exceptional in their customer service. Whilst it doesn’t look like I’ll be working with them this time, I WILL deal with them on another project in the future, because I think they are fabulous. :appl: :wavey: :appl: :wavey:

I spoke to several jewellery designers here in Perth and did not click with anyone. The only one that did interest me hasn’t got back to me in nearly a month, so not really my type of vendor!! :rolleyes: :devil: ;))

I loved Lil Misfit’s ring from the second I saw it, so it was a very simple step to fire an email of to BGD. I have been dealing with Jamie, who has been fantastic and I have received my quote.

I would like your opinions on my choices so far. I would love your input to help me through this process. I have already told Jamie that I do not want to start this project until the new year as I don’t want to rush this nor get caught up in the Holiday rush. So that gives me time to fine tune or indeed U turn depending on our discussion!!!

Oh and I am planning on having the design made in platinum.

Thank you everyone. :bigsmile:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Join me on my first custom design - would love your inpu

Antique Settingsdsp_mvc-010s_1317660682.jpg1.36_JVS22.jpgDSCN6352D_0.jpg27667.jpg

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Pricescoper's rings!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: BrianGavin_Fancy1_020211-1_0.jpgDSCN0697.jpgIMG_0049_0.jpgssstepring11.jpg

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Susimoo, do you know if someone on here got that first ring? I wish I'd bid on it!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Some other inspiration pictures including Rachel Zoe's original set which I L :love: ve!!!

I rather like her 10 carat Neil lane upgrade/push present too, but that is not in the budget!!! :lol:
rachel-zoe.jpgSET_5449_WHITE_Z3.jpgDSCN8241D.jpgRNG114922IM-1S.jpg

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

The drawing that probably reduced BGD's design team to tears of laughter!!! :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Be kind!!! :bigsmile: photo-7_0.jpg

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

olympia776|1321324846|3061850 said:
Susimoo, do you know if someone on here got that first ring? I wish I'd bid on it!

Hi Olympia,

I have no idea. No one admitted to it if they did!!

I tried on something very similar here in Perth. It was much more expensive but it was gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love:
:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We found this beauty (made by Engagement Rings Direct) the other day :love: :

erdRT-105.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to add, I'd make the halo smaller for the ring I posted above.

I love all the rings you posted, too. Antique settings just have so much more character, I think.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Oh WOW!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I am loving that!!!

My only thing is I wear my rings all the time ( not for heavy duty stuff but pretty much everything else). I don't know how I would get on with a halo/melee!!!

Thank you DS. I have added that to my inspiration file!!! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, "oh WOW" was the reaction of several of us when we saw that. But there was one I loved even more if I had an EC (just for fun):
(but I agree that these are probably more right hand rings than e-rings)

erdRT-101.jpg

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

That is simply :love: :love: :love: :love:

Why can't we just pool our rings and change shape, say once a month? :bigsmile:

Thanks DS, another beauty for my file!! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know! We should each get one and then rotate them! :bigsmile:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

I'm in!! Can i have yours first? :saint: :devil: :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sure! :bigsmile: But your own rings are gorgeous! You upgraded to a larger round yourself, right? I am curious as to why you decided to go back to a rb after having an AVC for awhile. Was it because of the greater bling factor or larger appearance of a round? I am so conflicted because I have always had a round and love them, but I'd like to have an ACR or AVC, too, although I know they are more subtle from across a room. So that's why I am interested in your thinking in going back to a rb.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

DS
I feel your pain!! I adored my AVC. It was beautiful. I was sad to see it go but delighted to see a PS'er get it. However, after owning it for a while there was a number of reasons for going back to a RB.

It was always supposed to be an interim diamond. I bought it whilst waiting on my original 1 carat RB to sell via consignment at GOG.
It took a year, because it wasn't an ideal cut. So I was glad I had the AVC because I couldn't stand wearing the CZ I had had set into an old setting.

After a while I realised I am more a sparkle girl than a big flash girl in terms of my wedding set. I loved the flashes and the pastels, but it wasn't what I had always envisioned as my engagement ring.

I wanted a colour as close as possible to my eternity ring with are all GIA F/Vs1's. The L did not bother me but I felt I had to get closer to my eternity band to make the set gel better.

I now have a 1.7 RB which is I/Vs2. Simple maths meant that I could only get the size and the colour I wanted if I stuck to RB's. AVC's were much more expensive in a lesser size. I also feel having owned a 1.43 carat AVC, I felt a comparable sized RB LOOKED bigger. I am sure that could be rubbish, but thats what my eyes told me.

Having tried on lots of different sizes and shaped diamonds, I felt the larger RB's looked better with my set. I have been advised by jewellers in the past to ditch my eternity because it overshadows my solitaire. Which to be fair it does. But I love it and don't really care. I like to mix it up. I think a 2+ carat would look even better, :devil: but that is not on the cards. If I had the 10k I would need to upgrade to a 2 carat diamond I wouldn't do it. I would by an AVC or a vintage cushion and make a stonkin' RHR!! :saint:

I hope you find your dream solution!! I am hoping this reset will be mine. Then I can save up for a new RHR!!! :lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

First, let me say that you have great taste! I love the settings you posted! Second, I just want to say that I think I know how you feel. It's why it took me so long to figure out what kind of setting I wanted. It's so hard to see a photo of a ring (from one angle) and decide if it's your dream ring and how it will look on your hand. I don't envy you your position. The one thing I learned is to trust your gut and to be honest with whomever you decide to work with...this isn't the time to be shy about what you like/don't like. Good luck! I'll be anxious to see what you choose!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I know you've mentioned custom, but have you considered a designer setting? I have a Beverly K mounting for my diamond that I have been thrilled with. I worked with Pearlman's Jewelers http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/ and their customer service is extraordinary! They even sent me a silver and CV version of my selected mounting to see if I really liked it on my hand before ordering. That made all the difference in knowing that is was the right mounting for me. I'd suppose that would be important for you, ordering from the US but living in AUS.

Here is a mounting I found that seems like it would fit your tastes. What do you think?

22PP18.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ohh Uppy, that's gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Susan....a 1.7 is a great size, very close to mine! I think I would feel the same way about giving up my round, so if I do anything, I might just go a little smaller and buy something else with the remainder. I am not sure anything will look as good as a solitaire with your bands, though! I am looking at those kinds of designs for my .80 family stone. It is set in a pendant but I think I'd wear a ring a lot more.

Uppy, I love that setting! I have considered it for my .80! I am glad to know that Pearlmans has some silver/cz samples. It is hard to order a ring like that without seeing one!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

yennyfire|1321370286|3062138 said:
First, let me say that you have great taste! I love the settings you posted! Second, I just want to say that I think I know how you feel. It's why it took me so long to figure out what kind of setting I wanted. It's so hard to see a photo of a ring (from one angle) and decide if it's your dream ring and how it will look on your hand. I don't envy you your position. The one thing I learned is to trust your gut and to be honest with whomever you decide to work with...this isn't the time to be shy about what you like/don't like. Good luck! I'll be anxious to see what you choose!

Yenny, coming from the woman who has created probably the most beautiful oval ring I have EVER seen, that is quite a compliment!! Thank you.

I think you are right to say trust your gut. I know I love halo's but it is not what I imagine my ring to be. I want a solitaire, with maybe side stones, with a twist or a nod to art deco. That is why it needs to be custom. I just haven't seen anything (for a RB) that does that yet.
I promise to keep you all up to date! :wavey:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Upgradable|1321372394|3062160 said:
I know you've mentioned custom, but have you considered a designer setting? I have a Beverly K mounting for my diamond that I have been thrilled with. I worked with Pearlman's Jewelers http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/ and their customer service is extraordinary! They even sent me a silver and CV version of my selected mounting to see if I really liked it on my hand before ordering. That made all the difference in knowing that is was the right mounting for me. I'd suppose that would be important for you, ordering from the US but living in AUS.

Here is a mounting I found that seems like it would fit your tastes. What do you think?

Uppy
You have nailed my taste exactly. :bigsmile:
I love that setting and it was on my list for consideration. However, I don't think halo/melee stones are me. Not for my engagement ring. I think I would have to baby it more, which I do not want to do. I am also pretty certain that it needs a bezel.

However, keep em coming! The more I see, the more the picture in my head is clearer. Thank you!!! :wavey:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1321373420|3062172 said:
Susan....a 1.7 is a great size, very close to mine! I think I would feel the same way about giving up my round, so if I do anything, I might just go a little smaller and buy something else with the remainder. I am not sure anything will look as good as a solitaire with your bands, though! I am looking at those kinds of designs for my .80 family stone. It is set in a pendant but I think I'd wear a ring a lot more.

Uppy, I love that setting! I have considered it for my .80! I am glad to know that Pearlmans has some silver/cz samples. It is hard to order a ring like that without seeing one!

DS, I think you are correct. Once you have had that amount of diamond real estate on your finger it is very hard to give it up.

I also agree that a soltaire is the best look for my already fussy looking finger!! I just want a solitaire with a twist. ;))
A bit like its owner. :lol:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

susimoo|1321325071|3061855 said:
The drawing that probably reduced BGD's design team to tears of laughter!!! :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Be kind!!! :bigsmile: photo-7_0.jpg

You're so cute! Have you seen the (very similar) drawing that I sent to BGD? If they laughed at yours, they surely laughed at mine! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here it is:
drawing.jpg

I love the first 2 pics you posted!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Lil Misfit :wavey:

I was hoping you would see this (and not send the diamond hit men to sort me out !!)

Thank you for posting your picture. I think yours shows a certain artistic flair whereas mine simply shows a lack of attention in my technical drawing classes back in the 80's! :lol:

I love your ring. I simply have not seen anything that makes me go gaga the way yours does. It has simplicity but with such detail. It is just beautiful. Plus I love the fact you wear other rings with it.
I adore Rachel Zoe's set because she has so much going on but all the elements are simple. I love all that, mixing it up.
That is why I am becoming more convinced I will go with BGD, who have been fabulous.

I don't know how I will contain myself tiil the New Year.

Thanks again LM!!! :appl:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

another picture for inspiration? ;-)

roundfishtailbezelbagrnd.JPG

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

D&T|1321406054|3062554 said:

LOVE!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Added to the file immediately. I think I am going to have to speak with Brian and iron out what would look best. This HAS to be a major contender. I could have it bezelled completely. :love:

Thank you D&T!!! :wavey:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

This totally gets my vote! :appl:

And don't worry, no hit men are on the way! I'm still incredibly flattered that my ring is such an inspiration to you. I still LOVE it to death! In fact, I may be biased, but I honestly think it's the most beautiful ring I've ever seen :lol: I haven't found anything before or since that just takes my breath away like my ring does. That's how I know I made the right decision! It's absolutely perfect for me. And yours will be absolutely perfect for you, too!

I can't wait to see the final design and of course, ring!!! :naughty:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

I really love the idea of using bezel set baguettes in the shank! That totally corresponds with your drawing.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Lil Misfit|1321406792|3062560 said:

This totally gets my vote! :appl:

And don't worry, no hit men are on the way! I'm still incredibly flattered that my ring is such an inspiration to you. I still LOVE it to death! In fact, I may be biased, but I honestly think it's the most beautiful ring I've ever seen :lol: I haven't found anything before or since that just takes my breath away like my ring does. That's how I know I made the right decision! It's absolutely perfect for me. And yours will be absolutely perfect for you, too!

I can't wait to see the final design and of course, ring!!! :naughty:

Thanks LM

You have been very understanding to say the least!! I agree that your ring is the most beautiful ring I have ever seen. :love:
I kept going back to it, time and time again. Whatever shape I end up with be it a square or an asscher halo, it will always have more than a passing resemblance to its ring cousin!! ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results